Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

will sky windowes work in my bus 77
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: will sky windowes work in my bus 77 Reply with quote

sky window in my bus. is it possible? if it feisable . is it sac relig?

just looking at an old vw mag with a pre 67 mexican bus that someone installed sky windows on, not origional . he said he had some made. it looks to me like it would be easy to just buy some port windowes that size and just heat form the plexiglass to the roof curve. any ideas?
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump Laughing
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give you any information of how it was done, but I have seen a late bay with skylight windows, ala 21/23 window split. It was years ago in upstate NY. The guy used to be a regular on the Type 2 list years ago. Dave something or other.
donemoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do just about anything with some fabrication skills.

I put an entire skylight sunroof section on my 67 Deluxe.

The easiest way would be to find a donor bus top. If you are just interested in putting in sky light windows do this:

Measure out the length of the raingutter on the donor bus for the amount of windows you want. Cut with sawsall 1" above raingutter. At the top of the skylight openning cut 3' to allow for welding and curve of 77 top fitment. As you carefully cut out the skylight sections; you will notice that the metal has an outside and inside flanged skin. This means for a sanitary fitment you will need to first weld the outside; then the inside.
The glass you can usually get at swap meets.

I used to sell my glass to Rich at BFY for $20 each in 90's. Prices are probably higher these days. Cool

P.S. 2 skylights over the drivers cab looks cool.
"
1966 HD Sprint H
1940 HD ULH Flathead
1985 Electra-glide Classic with Tour-Pac
1968 Harley Rapido

1968 Honda CL Scrambler 175cc
1962 Honda Cub 50 Step-thru
1980 Honda Cub 70
spanishbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't there some weird Brazilian bays with samba style rooflights?

Somewhere I have a photo of one I came across in the UK, Ill see if I can search it out.

'72 Devon Moonraker Camper LHD
'98 Polo - for sale
'92 Nissan pickup - for sale
'07 Ford Transit
spanishbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears I was getting confused with one of these:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That thing doesn't know what it is!

'72 Devon Moonraker Camper LHD
'98 Polo - for sale
'92 Nissan pickup - for sale
'07 Ford Transit
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a bus for sale here on the Samba about a year ago that was in Belgium or Sweden or somehwhere in between. The seller claimed was an experimental model from VW with skylights, they were around the same length as splitty skywindows but went much further into the center of the roof. I can't find any pics but they looked a little like the windows on top of this; http://www.tradecarview.com/stock/detail.aspx?sid=823523

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
There was a bus for sale here on the Samba about a year ago that was in Belgium or Sweden or somehwhere in between. The seller claimed was an experimental model from VW with skylights, they were around the same length as splitty skywindows but went much further into the center of the roof. I can't find any pics but they looked a little like the windows on top of this; http://www.tradecarview.com/stock/detail.aspx?sid=823523

I remember that one. It was beige (Savannah Beige?), had a rag top, skylights, split bus steering wheel, but otherwise a standard Bay, other than a few details. I remember it being in San Diego for sale around $20,000 a couple of months ago. Looked pretty cool, but still looked like a hack to me - who knows if it was stock? I can't find any pics of it, either.

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seams simple... but what about the head liner? i guess that tucks into the window rubber.
so i guess all i need is 1 stock window and rubber from wcm, and i can use the glass window for a heat form for the 3/16 acrylic . so now all i need is interior pics and exterior pics of samba windows installed and "un installed"
TEXABUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't do it; you might sell the bus and the FO could want to repair the hole in the roof. It happened to me with a 72 panel that I am in the middle of doing for my girlfriend's business (Candis teaches organic gardening to children). It had a 14" square hole for a vent. Repairing that hole has turned out to be the most difficult task that I have ever undertaken in 40 years of dubbin.
David
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm ok....
i kinda have all the tools and skills to do it right. i just need more research.
to do it right the first time
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock rubbers wont work unless you weld in the recessed window openings and the matching inner structures, if you are bent on doing this (I personally don't think it's wise) you would need to find some roof window frames (repros available AFAIK) or use commercial window seal by the foot designed for mounting glass in the sides of delivery trucks and the like.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no i am not bent on doing this . i will not know until i do all the reasearch.pics,dims,have window,etc...

thank you for your sugestion i will look into the seals and the frame
donemoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEXABUS wrote:
Please don't do it; you might sell the bus and the FO could want to repair the hole in the roof. It happened to me with a 72 panel that I am in the middle of doing for my girlfriend's business (Candis teaches organic gardening to children). It had a 14" square hole for a vent. Repairing that hole has turned out to be the most difficult task that I have ever undertaken in 40 years of dubbin.
David

This is true. I found a 68 Double-door Panel Van in a Junkyard for $300, but it had been made into a camper. Crappy Riviera Syle windows had been screwed into it. Interior had been cut up for unknown reasons. Had to pass because couldn't find repair skin.

Just a thought..When you buy a Bus.; it is yours to do with what You like. FO should buy carefully or buy another if they don't like your mods.
1966 HD Sprint H
1940 HD ULH Flathead
1985 Electra-glide Classic with Tour-Pac
1968 Harley Rapido

1968 Honda CL Scrambler 175cc
1962 Honda Cub 50 Step-thru
1980 Honda Cub 70
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: