Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bed liner on floor pans of VW Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SandroCanovas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Bed liner on floor pans of VW Thing? Reply with quote

Has anyone out there use a spray on bed liner for the protection of the floorpans?
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did on a car earlier this year...

Etch Primer.. sealealer.. 3m body shotz.
75FrankenBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line-X is the best, if done right. I'm a little biased though since I owned a Line-X franchise for 5 years. All of my VW's and many others, were sprayed to everyone's delight! check out my gallery for some of our VW projects with Line-X. My Thing was one of the first applications I did over 5 years ago and it still looks great-and has kept the rust at bay.

1973 TYPE 181 2056cc TYPE IV
1964 Chevrolet C10 LS3/TR6060 6-Speed
1979 1303 Convertible 2056cc TYPE IV-SOLD!
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: bed liner on pans Reply with quote

Have not done it yet. However, I am awaiting my order to arrive within the next week.

I am going with Herculiner and will spray it. Did already use Master Series silver to seal the pans. This will top coat for wear purposes.

The color options are limited unlike Linex.

But, it will be cheaper since I am buying materials and will be doing the work myself.

I will post pics when done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Acetone Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it really do a decent job of sound deadening?

With a solid mounted trans I'm getting some insane vibration and noise through the pan
75FrankenBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Line-X does a pretty good job of vibration dampening-if sprayed thick enough. It's a pretty dense material so sound still travels through. Weight can be an issue if too thick. Seemed to make the car feel much more solid feeling though. Durability can't be beat-it's practically bulit proof! I even applied several layers of a DynaMat material over Line-X on my Super Beetle Vert and I still get more noise than I like-mostly the dual carb sound through soft top.

wackert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you were to spra line-x in the car is there like a clear coat or somethin you can spray over it? cause ive noticed in some truck beds that after time the line-x will ither satin from mub or whatever and it also gets a faded look to it. so was wondering if there was somethin u can put on it to keep it from looking dull over time. thanks
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Linex Reply with quote

not sure on linex. I have heard some folks spray clear while liner is curing. The black seems to be common fade with bed liners. Mine will be gray. Hopefully between garage storage, it will not fade noticeably.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrafindley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote in a previous post

In my own opinion some sort of bed liner is the best. I work at a company that sprays undercarrages of big diesels we use armorethane which is compatable with all val-spar paints in other words you can make it what ever color you want it and then you can clear coat it and that will keep it from turning to that dusty look captain was talking about.

I love the stuff it has been in the bed of my truck since 2001 sprayed it white to match the color clear coated it and it still shines where the paint on my truck has faded and yes I haul all kinds of material in the back of my truck.

But like Captain said if you want to get it off pack a lunch. We take a torch and burn it off but we are talking a torch on 3/8 steel your pans are maybe 10 guage so I emagine it will bubble and stretch the pans beyond repair so to each their own thats just my oppinion
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugZyla.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of herculiner when I build bajas. Here are a few pics. I have the gun and do it right here in my shop. I do send the pan out for sandblasting first though. Then I just spray the liner directly over the bare metal. Works great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.bugzyla.com

"Why is there Braille on a Drive Thru ATM?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Acetone Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to drill through this stuff?

If one was to add new seat rails or say another hoop to their roll cage...
75FrankenBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Line-X will fade with prolonged exposure to UV...but it can be top coated with UltraShield a UV protective pigment. Thats what I did. Or, you can spray with epoxy primer and spray just about any color under the rainbow, even the paint used on the rest of the vehicle. Line-X is tough but can be drilled for seat rails or roll cage. But, do all welding first on any area to be coated.

carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Bedliner for floorpans! Bed liner the whole THING...I did. Reply with quote

I had Rhino Lining sprayed on my entire car, 1974 thing-sold in 1997, floor pans, doors, interior, hood...etc....did it in a ballistic granite closely resembling flecked primer and could not believe the resulting quiet ride....Especially was fond of doing the doors...if you are like me and love to drive with windshield on hood, top down and doors off, it really helped not having to worry about having moving blankets on hand to put between the doors on road trips. Just took the doors off, threw them in the rear cargo area and rolled down the road. Had my car for 1 1/2 years after the 2300.00 paint/protect job was done and did not have a single door ding and had relatively good coverage. In fact, the worst part for the wear was the floor pan on passenger side (where I must not have got all of the brake fluid leak residue off during prep) and under the battery box....just peeled up minimally. I like the idea of sandblasting and in fact the Rhino Liner rep in PDX advised I do that on the Pan, but I had $$ burning a hole in my pocket and he had the time......I would recommend it to anyone, especially since the price seems to have gone down considerably. The guy thought that I was crazy. It took him all of a day to do it and at the time I felt it was too much $$, but, that material was/is really spendy.....Well worth it for anyone doing a ground up...especially the interior....my dog loved the grip on the rear deck when the seats were folded down and I loved that things would not slide all over without being strapped in, ie, cooler full of beer!

Go make you local spray on bedliner dealers day and have a paint job like none other that you will not have to mess with....heck, I do not think I ever put a wash mitt on it, just hosed off and drove the heck out of it!
Peace..carterzest
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Bedliner on pan Reply with quote

Here's some pics of Herculiner on my project. I did the wheel wells, inside fenders, underneath as well as seat backs. A real "joy" spraying. It came out nice once done. I used a cheap undercoat gun from Eastwood. I did have to use a small roller and foam brushes to get uniform coverage over the Master Series silver rust sealer.

Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried some of the spray on sound deadeners like lizard skin? Is it anywhere near as tough as line-x or rhino liner? If it seals as well as the bed liners, it might be worth using that stuff to reduce some of the road noise.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ARK!! Neighbor. Canon City... I live in Florissant.. PM me..

More later, K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: