Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

spring plates
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: spring plates Reply with quote

thing spring plates are 24" and irs beetle are 26" correct? so raising the rear of the thing would bring the rear tires a bit closer/forward? so would beetle plates fit and counteract this? or am i just all confussed about this?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on now, dont all rush at once with an answer. can anyone answer this?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change to 26+" bug spring plates, you have to change the torsion bars as well. The only spring plates/torsion bars that give you more room for tire clearance are the short 21+" ones, but those have their own downfalls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont really understand why a shorter plate would do this, when your raising, just seems like longer would be needed. a source on here i talked to said he used longer to center the rear wheels/tires. and why would you have to change the torsions too? can this be explained to me please?

quite a few views on this topic, but only one answer. someone open my eyes here. please.

thanks
justin
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #(24+", 26+") is not the length of the spring plate, it is the length of the torsion bar. To center the rear wheel in the wheel opening you need longer trailing arms, not longer spring plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joosty_chin wrote:
. . . come on now, dont all rush at once with an answer. can anyone answer this?

Quote:
. . . quite a few views on this topic, but only one answer. someone open my eyes here. please.

You didn't even allow 24 hrs. before squawking. This type of attitude is a real turn-off. I'm just sayin'. Confused
gigolosal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to lengthen your trailing arms to center the tires.a few inches depending on your tire size
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so its the trailing arms. thanks, ill look into that. im thinking id like 30s on the rear, and 27s on front, 4 incher higher all the way around.

cap'n... sorry about your frustration,. currently i am on the other side of the world, and it actually seemed like two days the first repost, and the second, was nearly 2 weeks later.
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigolosal wrote:
you have to lengthen your trailing arms to center the tires.a few inches depending on your tire size

Trailing arm length to center is not dependant upon tire size. It is somewhere in the 1" - 1.5" longer range to center the rear wheel. I went with S.U. 5/1600 rear arms as they are readily available, and get the job done.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.U. 5/1600 rear arms

what are these, and where can i find info on them, or the product itself?

i did a google search, and found only an add for desert/race vehicles.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only trailing arms i can find are 3 x 3 (3in longer x 3in wider) if the trailing arms would do the trick, that would be great. but i cant seem to come across just longer arms. all i want is to center the rear, and i cant do wider, that would require too much other mods.

and i am thinking the 5/1600 you speak of is just a baja racing class right?
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys...
http://www.blindchickenracing.com/
can build you any trailing arm you want!
-
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks im looking now. that chicken is the coolest thing ive seen. i am still searching for others though.

thanks for all the help.

justin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: