Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some install questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Some install questions Reply with quote

I'm trying to finish up my 52' split for an upcoming car show next weekend, and a couple of things have come up. The car is an ealry 52'

Windshield Install- Liberia Jenny's rubber and trim clips, with original trim. Does the trim install into the window with the clips attached, or do the clips install first, then the trim clip over them? The later seems to work better, but neither work very well. I'm assuming that the trim with clips goes in before the windshield goes in the car, like the later style trim.

Window felt channels. Kaefer-nostalgie's felt/rubber kit. Does anyone have any detail of the upper part of the large channel. It looks like it must be open, to allow the window to pass through, so it closes off the "vent" notch in the glass....? If so how does the rubber stay attached to the channel? Picture of an original one?

Any help with either of these would be greatly appriciated!

Last edited by Concept1 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of your first question, but I think the clips go in the rubber, rubber in the car (with glass), then molding on. Someone with a later split can verify/dispute...

As for the window channel, you are correct, the upper part is open, there is no "bottom" to the rubber U channel. The top is open so the glass can go up through it. Use 3M Super 90 glue (I spray it into a small cup and use a glue brush) between the rubber and the frame. Paint it on and let it nearly dry, then assemble. I've restored a few of those channel sets and it works very well.

You can also use the glue between the felt and rubber. I cut some 1/4" thick masonite "ribs" that follow the shape of the channel. Once the felt is in I push the masonite pieces into the groove and clamp it with spring clamps. This insures that the felt is fully bottomed out in the rubber and insures that the window will not bind when you first install it.

Heres a pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Once the felt is glued into the channel, you can trim and glue it back around the steel frame with the 3M glue.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

When I bought the car, the frames were just stripped down, so I was not able to see how it looked. I put together one door, including gluing the rubber and felt in place.... after I pushed the window up into place, I realized that the top of the channel should be open. I'll have to see what I can do. I may try to trim the bottom of the "U" profile out while it's still in the frames.

I'm ready to install the windshield, but still unsure of the trim/clip situation. Makes sense that the trim could just clip on afterwards. I think there is an oreintation to the clips as well, to lock them into the rubber profile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the felt is glued well into the channel, you should be able to just trim out the center section with a razor and it will be fine....

Good luck..

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpartsunlimited
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for installing the molding and the clips , you should first :

1) install the rubber on the windshield

2) insert the clips evenly spaced and allowing the upper and lower center part to be free of them to allow installation of the upper and lower center molding clips

3) install the aluminum molding

4) install the whole assy on the car .

as soon as you pull the rope to install the windshield , the rubber and clips will work together and the molding will stay firmly attached in place.

regarding the felt channel kit , check my ads , please , i do offer original style rubber , with the upper part open to allow the window glass to go through the frame .....

Ricardo

1951 crotch cooler split
1971 1302 cabriolet
1981 Mercedes Benz 230 military "Gelandewagen"
2010 Mercedes Benz c200 kompressor touring
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: