Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice find! First time posting here since I sold my 63
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on Stale Air! - I definately have that instead of fresh air. All the lower tin is in place - and it even has the heating system hooked up.

Er - by loud I meant the exhaust leak. Where the exhaust hooks to the muffler there is a HUGE hole - so that would be where the noise is coming from.

I am absolutely in love with this car. IN fact - I think I like it better than my 63 - the stale air system looks more interesting - and the 1200 I have in there is really peppy and sounds like a pretty bullet proof engine. I think all I Want to have done is new push rod seals, new rear seal, front seal, check end-play and let it be. It has 71k origiinal miles on it. Why mess with a good thing - especialy since its 46 years old!

Besides - what did I need FM on my radio for anyway!? Laughing

1963 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
estofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find!!!

Here is a picture of my 66 I purchased for $1,700. It is from CA so no rust anywhere on the car. The guy I purchased it from got the car form his mom who was the second owner. It is rare to come across cars like yours and when you do you need to snatch them up!!

Great Car!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
the 1200 I have in there is really peppy and sounds like a pretty bullet proof engine.

There biggest problem with 40HPs were in the valve train - those long stud heads I referenced before, and also there were lifter and/or camshaft failures. If those issues are addressed, they are pretty bulletproof - as long as you don't overrev them. (broken cranks were not uncommon back in the day, but I think most of the cranks that were going to snap easily have already done so, but you never know!)

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All!

Quick update.

Some of you know that I now live in an area where I have no 24.7 access to a garage. So I have taken the 62 to a local Mechanic who was a mechanic for VW "back in the day". He has years of experience - a spotless shop - and repulation.

I dropped 'Aunt B' with Mark a few weeks back - and happened to stop by with the new registration and plate today as the registration (temp) was set to expire. He only had a few things left to do.

The engine was rebuilt sometime in the last 15 years and was not leaky - except the rear main. New clutch, pressure plate, clutch cable, accel cable, rebuilt carb, NOS muffler, front wheel bearings, brake adjust, new tie rod ends, and steering dampner - and I'll be on the road.

Hopefully I pick her up before thurs.

1963 Beetle
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't drive naked until you get the seats redone. You might get your do dads stuck in the springs!

Nice early car!
1971SuperBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats with your purchase....Enjoy her
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great '62!! Mine wasn't nearly as nice when I started on it back in 2004. My seats and your seats are identical however from where they began! The PO had fixed it with about 3 ratty old t-shirt pulled over the seat back to keep from getting snagged. And, the seat bottom--well, he left that to chance. I got two pairs of jeans that have small 'seat spring' holes in the back of the thighs from those seats. I remember every time i wear those things the days when I first got it. Strange ways how our memories are excited!
Beautiful '62 by the way--I think I've got a 2nd favorite color!
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could run something like these in the meantime!
Endicott jb
Bondo King

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a gorgeous car. Reminds me a little of my 65 when I first bought it in 02. All original including the motor seats and interior but needs a whole lot of lovin.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Thanks all - she's a geat little car - named her after my Great Aunt Beatrice - Aunt Bea (or as we used to call her - Aunt Tiney - married last name was Tiney).

Anyway - she's nice. Noticed most of the whine is going away as I drive it. Also - not too sure if the engine IS a 1200. I know it needs a suplimental return spring on the accelerator though! Lol - doesn't retract right. Also has a jerry riged clutch cable (spliced cable?) - and a few other oddeties. Like the knob switch next to the ash tray - whats that??

All I have plans for are - new muffler (the one in it has a HUGE hole), Air cleaner, seals on the engine, upholstery, and touch up to a few spots of pain - and a new chrome strip for the hood. Maybe have the radio fixed. LOL.

As for the knob, does it have a gas heater. That is where the control would go.
I have a NEW stale air muffler that I would sell. And I should have the air cleaner. I also have various other early 40 parts.
I am pretty sure I even have some NOS engien tin.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the knob, does it have a gas heater. That is where the control would go.
I have a NEW stale air muffler that I would sell. And I should have the air cleaner. I also have various other early 40 parts.
I am pretty sure I even have some NOS engien tin.

Hey!

No it has an aux in-line blower for the heater system. It MAY have had gas heat at one point - not now though.

I just got her back from the mechanic. What a sweet little car to drive! Smooth - quiet - and peppy. It aint no rocket ship - but 40hp sure seems enough! Was able to get to 65 and cruise on in to work - and back again.

I am having brake issues - so it's going back on monday with a full rebuild kit and new master cylinder to be sure of everything. Then - on to upholstery!

1963 Beetle
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interior Done

1963 Beetle
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever did your interior did a nice job. Kudos to you if you did it yourself. Very nice. Now, just replace all that rubber that has been sprayed over so it doesn't look so gross! (talking about the hinge bolt plugs, and the check strap rubber seal. All that stuff that gets sprayed over really shows a lack in attention to detail when it comes to these old cars. This little pieces are cheap to replace, and if your door seals are old and dry, it'd be a good time replace those too! Great color on your car! Next to my Ruby Red, i think this is probably my next favorite for the early '60's VWs.
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dash looks like it is L87 Perl Weiss.

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Beryl Green - very nice color for an old bug Smile . Looks like a very nice find, indeed Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, just replace all that rubber that has been sprayed over so it doesn't look so gross! (talking about the hinge bolt plugs, and the check strap rubber seal. All that stuff that gets sprayed over really shows a lack in attention to detail when it comes to these old cars.

All well and good - and all in due time. I'm more about driving her to work and enjoying her - rather than being perfect. Laughing However - it will get done eventualy.

The PO had it painted in the 80s and got upset when the painter skipped a lot of stuff like this - and so - it was parked....

Er - it is Beryl Green btw....stock color as outside.

It's the light - if I could just get a good pic without all this pesky Arizona sun... Laughing

1963 Beetle
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if I didnt say so - thanks for the compliments....

1963 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: