Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which fuses go where?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottienoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Which fuses go where? Reply with quote

I think the PO just put in any fuse where he wanted. I found the fuse box diagram someone posted, but could not find what size fuse goes in what slot. Can anyone help?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming 12 fuse block, all 8 amp except for 9 and 10 are 16 amp. "73" and "74". Ceramic fuses are white 8 amp, red 16 amp. Can replace with glass fuses sold at any parts store, think are called gbp or something, but have nipples on end to fit fuse block.
scottienoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that was for a 10 fuse box not 12 right?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the fuse block diagram from the 73 Thing Owner's Manual. The 73 Thing has a ten point fuse block. Going from left to right fuses 2-9 uses 8 amps fuses (white) and fuse 1 for the turn signals, wiper motor and heater and fuse 10 for the emergency flashers and gas heater fan use a 16 amp fuse (red) There is an eleventh 8 amp fuse in the engine compartment in a black bayonnet fuse holder for the back up lights. I installed a heavy duty power plug rated at 10 amps with heavier wiring than stock in my Thing so I run a 16 amp fuse in fuse 9 also. I would never use any other fuse except Real VW ceramic parts. All fuses have the same funtion and rating I just would not put a glass fuse in a VW it just goes against my need to use certain VW parts..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, figured if wrong someone would correct.
MercurialThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Back from the dead... Reply with quote

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this was the most appropriate one for my question.

I know relatively little about wiring, but am learning as I go. The previous owner truly borked the wiring in my Thing including (if I understand Kubelmann's description correctly) adding 16 amp fuses to 8 amp circuits. I know this isn't rocket science, but I'm learning here...

I've attached a couple pictures to illustrate my question: The order for the fuses are:
1) RED (16 amp)
2 - 9) WHITE (8 amp)
10) RED (16 amp)

Correct?

Previous owner's fuse box:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah, the pink ones in there in slots 3 & 4? 16 amp.

Cleaned up and ready to put back in:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not surprisingly, I have some wires with the insulation melted off, so I am looking to rewire the Thing myself; at the very least the damaged sections. Anyone have any recommendations for wiring looms? Any suppliers of "VW correct" color coded wire?

I found this site http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html and I was thinking of using the SXL Cross-Linked Automotive Wire. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Merc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesertGolfGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you must be brave -- take out the entire fuse block. Best I could do this week was to take a wire at a time off to clean the contacts.

Looked at wiring site and clicked a number of favorites. Others have more experience but seems like the wire you mentioned is overkill.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: