Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My valves have minds of thier own
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: My valves have minds of thier own Reply with quote

I just got a 1641 from a good friend of mine. I installed it in my baja, cranked it up, and all was well. As the engine heated up however, it was loosing power. After playing around with timing, jets, points gap... I checked the valve clearance. Almost all of them were tight. So, I adjusted everything to .006 and tried it again. I noticed an increase in torque right away. But as it warmed up, it was still loosing power. I checked the valves again after it cooled down, and found #3 intake and exhaust with no gap! In fact, they were keeping the valves from seating. Readjusted again...same thing. What the hell?
207-242-0016
www.beardfiremetalworks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleboy58
Samba Conquestador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are losing a valve seat in the head. Off with the heads!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question but, are you making sure the adjusting nuts are tight when adjusting the valves? When you readjust each time, does it look like you are backing the adjusting screw out more and more each time? Is this happening on every valve on both heads or just #3? I find it hard to believe(but not impossible) that two valve seats on the same cylinder are pounding into the head at the same rate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any question is a dumb one at this point. I'm greatfull for the help. Yes, I believe the locking nuts were tight.

Did I back the adjusters out, or are they mushrooming? I had to back them out to relieve the preload from the springs. They were opening the valves staticly. I haven't counted the threads before and after adjustment, but I will.

All valve clearances seem to be in flux, but #3 is by far, the worst offender.
207-242-0016
kielbasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you adjusting the valves while hot? you should let it sit cold over night before messing with em again.
Jeff's VW Speed and Fab
4inbore.com
Kielbasa Industries
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend suggested that the valve guides could be sticking. Sound reasonable?
207-242-0016
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you are doing all of your valve adjustments with the motor cold and follow the proceedure correctly.
If you are doing this correctly, and you have an exh valve that keeps getting tight, then you have something coming apart in the heads.
Do not run the motor any more. Pull the heads off and get them fixed. I will be much cheaper now than if you let it go...
elvis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always do your valve adjustment with the engine hot so you know the lifters are somewhat pumped up if you do it cold that is just a preliminary adjustment, sounds like you have a lifter that is not bleeding off the oil.
nc68bugman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt He has hydraulic lifters! Solid lifters must be adjusted when engine is dead cold! Preferabally, overnite!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuck_G
AKA Growler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elvis67 wrote:
always do your valve adjustment with the engine hot so you know the lifters are somewhat pumped up if you do it cold that is just a preliminary adjustment, sounds like you have a lifter that is not bleeding off the oil.

That's garbage advice, this is an aircooled site.
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, guys. I know that VW states that the engine must be below 120F to adjust the valves. Rather than pace around the thing with a thermometer, I have always waited until the following day to break out the feeler gage.

No, I don't have hydraulic lifters.

Now that we are past "Intro to Thermodynamics", anybody have any ideas?
207-242-0016
mharney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one way that this can happen, and it's already been said.. you have valve problems, if the clearance is getting taken up each time you adjust them. The valves and seats are probably toast.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO! Razz

elvis67 wrote:

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fccperdiem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I'm really lost. Just went out to check the valves again, and #3 intake AND exhaust are at least an eigth of an inch loose! How can they go from uber loose to a negative gap in Five running minutes?

Before anyone asks, I am sure I was adjusting #3. I repeated the same prosess that I have used on all my VWs.
207-242-0016
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: