Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 16" Wheels for the Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: New 16" Wheels for the Westy Reply with quote

Thought I'd start this thread about the new wheels I found on craigslist in asheville nc (about an hour from me)
Long story short, they were a set of 4 Milla Miglia Spider 16x7.5's / ET35 from an Audi A6. Seller had them up for over a month for $250 with some pretty worn 225/50x16 Dunlop SP Winter/Sports. Went up to look at them, the faces had some road rash but offered him $200 and he took it.
I wrote Mr. Loogy before I went up and gave him what I could find before seeing the wheels. Since the lug holes were already 14mm, it should be a matter of just spacers and longer studs in the rear though I do want to do the 'stud conversion' on the front rotors so I have lug nuts at all four corners.
As far as the road rash on the front of the wheels goes, may plan, and I hope the forum can help here, is to clean and fill the scratches and light gashes since I want to have them painted to match my body paint.
I just tried a 'dry fit' with no spacers and grease caps in place to see how much modification they're going to need. From the look of things, looks like I won't need to drill out the centers at all, should just need spacers, studs, etc. and the center caps should fit
Below are the wheels faces, the dry fit pictures and pics of the inside of the wheels

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 'Dry Fit'

Inside the wheels

Last edited by 82WestyMan on Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some sweet wheels 82WM, I'm jealous. I would agree, looks like all you need are a small set of spacers, maybe like 5 mm, the hardware, and off you go!

Nice find! Once you get the set up all done and purty, update the ultimate wheel post for others to oogle over and learn from.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't tell how deep the scratches are in your pictures, but you may be able to get by with a little sandpaper action to smooth down the rough parts,

If you want to stick with silver, most FLAPs will stock a spray can of "Alloy Wheel Silver" that is specifically made for, guess what....alloy wheels!! It goes on kinda thick and is somewhat self-leveling, so it helps fill in small nicks and scratches. Prep is key in painting wheels, you need to clean them with something to strip off every last vestige of silicone, wax, or oil to ever come in contact with the wheel. I used a product called "Pant Prep" that I got from a local auto paint supply shop years ago. Spray it on, wipe it off, dry again with paper towels. Done.

Are you sure you don't want to stick with the silver? I know the mono-color look is what you're going for, but IMHO I think those wheels would look GREAT if you left them silver. Applause

MIght look good in the tan as well, just can't picture that in my head.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice!!!

The scratches don't look that bad to me. I would probably live with them that way and just polish them up. Anything you do by yourself might just make them look worse. You could probably get them powder coated for about $300 though and they would look new and all match.

Now just find some for me!
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice wheels! Do you have any pics of them on the van from farther away?

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
ohlott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice rims.

What type of tires are you going to use?
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the feedback. Getting the wheels was just a matter of dumb luck. The first pics I posted didn't do the 'road rash' justice. I'm attaching a few close-up... a bit more than mere polishing to fix these.
I did do a google search on 'alloy wheel filter repair' and came up with the following
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html
I figured since I'm going to have to do some fairly major repairs, I might as well go ahead an finish the monochrome look (... and yes, I've been keeping my eye on that thread about those red rear side markers in smoke ... to match my smoke front turn signals and tail lights...)
I do plan on posting the whole repair process and installation but I'm currently riding on some factory 14" alloys with new tires so I'm in no hurry
(... and yes, they're going to be 'For Sale' with the chrome lug hardware once this upgrade is complete... "pick-up" in SC only... lol )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got my wheels back from my painter this afternoon and thought I'd post little update while I wait on my new 225/55HR16 99H XL Continental ContiProContacts at Discount Tire and my lugs, nuts and spacers from Loogy
The 5 pics are Before, closeup of curb rash, work in progress, filled with body spot filler and After... (i even filled in the 'Milla Miglia" emblems in wheels and the caps now have VW emblems too)
I'll post some final 'before' and 'after' pics of the van wih them installed

Raggamuffin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that you stuck with your guns on the wheel color...those are going to look beautiful!

Nice work.
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creamy!

I always had a soft spot for white wheels. I like the 80's and group B rally.
I know it's not white exactly.
I like it, very original. Not too show off either.

I hope the paint remains and it wont get too dirty.

Give some feedback and pics. Nice work!

JP
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those nics don't look bad at all if your painting. if you were going to have them raw metal and polish them I still doubt I'd bother welding up the nics. more likely just sand them out with a da sander.

these'll look sweet on your ride.
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on the wheels and tires for the Westy
Ran into one small set back. When I was getting the new Conti's mounted and balanced, turns out one of the rims had a pretty good bend on the inner lip. enough to put a pretty good wobble in the wheel.
Long story short, I was lucky enough that the only real alloy wheel repair shop in SC (lots do 'refinishing, these guys do actual repairs and retruing) was in the update, only about 10 miles away. $110 later, I dropped the wheel back at my painter yesterday afternoon to get it touched up.
I got the new longer studs for the rear from Loogy pressed in the hubs this morning, installed the hubs and just finished installing the new studs in the front rotors (loctite blue in case I ever need to get them out again).
Thought I'd include a couple of pictures of old vw alloys vs the new milla miglia wheels.
Now I'm just waiting on the wheel to get back from the painter and the spacers to show up.
... i really like the difference it makes in the 'look'... can't wait to see what difference it makes in the handling

old vs new

Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, those will look great. I wasn't stunned and amazed at the difference in road feel and handeling when I made the change but the look was more than enough reason to go through this imho.

nice going man !
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Flipping Gorgeous! Reply with quote

Those rims are really stunning, 82WestyMan, and really compliment your van's distinctive look!

Best!
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... thanx for compliments ...

its a work in progress but at least now its mostly just 'wanna haves' instead of 'gotta do's' ...

Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how the original alloys look really ugly/unfit now?

I look you dipped the van in some creamy dessert.

Slurp.

JP
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the outcome of the spacer. I found a link that states the Vanagon wheel has a 35 ET. Below as quoted from Vanagon.com

The Vanagon bolt pattern is 5 x 112. The stock wheel offset is ET-35. Wheels marked 'ET-45' will therefore sit 10mm closer inwards. This has the advantage of keeping fat tires more under the fenders. See Michael Sullivan's Vanagon tire section diagram for a visual explanation of this.

Note that while tires are divided into '2WD' and 'Syncro' sections, all wheels are appropriate for all vehicles.

*update. I run the Vanagon alloys on my bus. Just looked at the spare and it is indeed ET30.
What are the ET of Vanagon steel wheels?

Last edited by regis101 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting my spacers from Loogy. Though the stock and these wheels share the same ET of 35, when I test fitted them, they just touched the upper part of the spindle (pic posted above) On his advice, I'm going with 7mm spacers to get the ET from 35 to 28. That should be give me plenty of room in the front and not push the rears out too far in the rear

He had a little problem with his machinist but they should on their way to me next week.
Important thing is this... He was completely professional and totally customer oriented and offered to go above and beyond...
and in this day and age of suppliers, he not only has my business for life but my complete recommendation to others....
He's 'Top Shelf'

When I get them in and have the wheels mounted, I'll post some final pictures and add a 'Reader's Digest' version to the 'Ultimate Wheel' post
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some Audi 15 x 7's with ET 39 and had no issues. The Bus and the Vanagon are different animals but wouldn't have thought wheel ET was this critical.
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82WestyMan wrote:
I'm getting my spacers from Loogy.

He had a little problem with his machinist but they should on their way to me next week.
Important thing is this... He was completely professional and totally customer oriented and offered to go above and beyond...
and in this day and age of suppliers, he not only has my business for life but my complete recommendation to others....
He's 'Top Shelf'

No question. Loogy is far and away the most professional person I have dealt with. Sent me a few cheap spacers of different thickness just so I could check what thickness was correct, as well as some bolts I eventually purchased from him. He's answered about 30 of my emails with various questions and patiently explained things that I did not understand. When it came time to purchase the spacers and bolts, he was out of the spacers I needed. I saw some on Ebay that seemed to be of the same quality, and they are good, but required modification to fit. Even though I was buying them elsewhere, he still spent time advising me on what to be aware of so I got close to what I needed. In hindsight I wish I would have waited for Loogy's, but that's in the past. I saved a couple of bucks, but it wasn't worth the hassle.

I could not have done my wheel conversion without his guidance.

Go directly to Loogy for all of your wheel fitment needs, support a fellow Samba member and great contributor. Nuff said on that.

Last edited by floggingmolly on Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: