Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finding Top Dead Center
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Finding Top Dead Center Reply with quote

My son bought an almost new Mexican 1600 dual port engine for his 65 camper we are trying to get running. No distributor was installed. There is only one VERY small notch on the front pulley that could be a timing notch for TDC or it could just be scratched.

John Muir's idiot book says to watch #1 intake valve as you rotate the engine. As it dips in (begins to open the valve) and then starts to close--that's top dead center.

I think I have the 009 distributor 180 degrees out of sync with TDC--getting some nice strong back-fires when the engine tries to start and run.

Is there another way to verify than looking at #1 intake valve to make sure? How far past the valve closing is TDC? in case the pulley TDC notch is not valid? The pulley is painted solid black with no other noticeable markings. Sort of makes life difficult.

Thanks!!
1961 Porsche 356 B Notchback Coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john walker's workshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the proper way to find TDC is to pull #1 plug and stick a dial gauge down thru the hole to contact the piston. in your case, a stiff wire will do in a pinch. rotate the engine clockwise until the wire just stops moving outward. and make a mark on the pulley that lines up with the split in the case. rotate a bit further clockwise and the wire will start to go in again. now start to rotate the engine counter-clockwise until the wire just stops moving outward and make another mark on the pulley. TDC will be the center point between the two marks. a dial gauge would be a hair more accurate, but this will get you started.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

Your method sounds a lot more scientific than anything I have found. I have a 911 dial gauge and clamp, so I will try using it. Thanks for your quick reponse!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john walker's workshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those who didn't follow, there is a point in all engines where the crank is turning and the piston is not moving. that would be at the bottom and top of each stroke. the piston reaches TDC before the crank does. that's why you do the procedure by turning the engine in both directions and splitting the difference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will find approximately TDC. Unless you pull off the head and do it, it is only close. Suggest you do it just like MUIR told you to and then when the mark comes up, stop and static time the engine. Then start the engine and put a vaccum gauge on it to set the timing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
john walker's workshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how is it approximate? you're working off the piston crown, same as if the head was off. and i would take anything muir said with a grain of salt. he was a hammer and chisel guy, remember.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are using a micrometer I don't think you can see exactly when the wire quits moving. In any case, it is hard to set the timing so close that that much precision is required. I doubt if hte distributor shaft is that tight anyway. I suspect the point gap is farther off than either method can measure.

My point was that close is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Walker's suggestion worked like a charm. I used Muir's method watching for the valves to first start opening, then stuck a clean long-blade screwdriver to touch the top of the piston. As it pushed the screwdriver out I watched both it and for the timing mark. TDC was right on the money for the small timing mark on the Mexican pulley. That eliminated being out 180 degrees of time.

Next stop was to re-take off the Kadrons and used what I learned on the Mr. Kadron site. I put a small nut on each accelerator linkage so there was not slop. I pulled and unstuck each accelerator nozzle (that sticks down into the throat of the carb). One check ball was missing from one carb.

Also realized I had #3 and #4 plug wires reversed. Hooked it all together and it sounds like a VW engine is supposed to--will be ordering carb rebuild kits from Mr. Kadron, a check valve and another accelerator nozzle if not both. Want to also see about getting a set of springs to hook up to each carb accelerator arm like a Zenith carb on a 356 Porsche. Don't want carbs to stick wide open and blow the new engine.

Next stop is to finish the front brake lines and buy a set of new tires.
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Walker's suggestion worked like a charm. I used Muir's method watching for the valves to first start opening, then stuck a clean long-blade screwdriver to touch the top of the piston. As it pushed the screwdriver out I watched both it and for the timing mark. TDC was right on the money for the small timing mark on the Mexican pulley. That eliminated being out 180 degrees of time.

Next stop was to re-take off the Kadrons and used what I learned on the Mr. Kadron site. I put a small nut on each accelerator linkage so there was not slop. I pulled and unstuck each accelerator nozzle (that sticks down into the throat of the carb). One check ball was missing from one carb.

Also realized I had #3 and #4 plug wires reversed. Hooked it all together and it sounds like a VW engine is supposed to--will be ordering carb rebuild kits from Mr. Kadron, a check valve and another accelerator nozzle if not both. Want to also see about getting a set of springs to hook up to each carb accelerator arm like a Zenith carb on a 356 Porsche. Don't want carbs to stick wide open and blow the new engine.

Next stop is to finish the front brake lines and buy a set of new tires.
john walker's workshop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgy, i did say to use a dial gauge for a precision measurement, but a wire or the like will get you pretty close.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: