Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine-pull contest
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Engine-pull contest Reply with quote

I mentioned to Rich kimball during Hot VW's Drag Day on Sunday that I would like to see the return of the engine-pull contest. If enough people showed interest I think maybe it could happen....It really was a cool event, 2-man teams pull an engine, drag it back from under the car then install it and drive the car forward to show that it is back in....I think Rich said the record was 3 minutes and 48 seconds.....top that!
Ann Mezger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a cool event - If I remember correctly, isn't Fred Simpson (Performance Technology) the record holder?
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Engine-pull contest Reply with quote

5vert6 wrote:
I mentioned to Rich kimball during Hot VW's Drag Day on Sunday that I would like to see the return of the engine-pull contest. If enough people showed interest I think maybe it could happen....It really was a cool event, 2-man teams pull an engine, drag it back from under the car then install it and drive the car forward to show that it is back in....I think Rich said the record was 3 minutes and 48 seconds.....top that!

I could do that...unless the engine has to go back into the vehicle properly.
milleracing02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Hey ya Reply with quote

I remember watching them back at the VW Jamborie in Irvine long ago. That would be sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the car had to be driven forward before the engine was removed. Does anyone remember the rules? Did the rear tin have to be in place? My 74 year old father and I pulled one two weeks ago in 25 minutes including rear tin. This was the first engine we did together in 16 years. We used to be able to do one in 10 minutes (that's grimmy mouse turd encrusted engines).

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann Mezger wrote:
That was a cool event - If I remember correctly, isn't Fred Simpson (Performance Technology) the record holder?

Yes, Fred Simpson, and Rand "Zubie" Foster, with a time of 2 minutes, 17 seconds... the truly amazing thig that most people forget, is in the 2:17, they not only pulled and re-installed the engine, they did ANOTHER engine pull... if it had counted, Fred and Rand would have come in First.... AND 3rd...
Fred has the old Super 8 format video of the engine pull- it was on the screen during the pre-Bug-In mixer, held at the host hotel in Fontana...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant even get the bolt out by the clutch cable arm in 2.17 minutes. Laughing
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
DLX-Fe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
I cant even get the bolt out by the clutch cable arm in 2.17 minutes. Laughing

you actually put that one in? dont you know the three out of four rule? if its good enough for gum it good enough for my engine. Smile
volksterii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that I may have seen that actual record breaking engine pull. I believe the rules were that you had to drive the car and park it for the contest. There were two man teams and two floor jacks. They had to remove the engine then pull it back, I think it was ten feet then install the engine. Once installed, you then had to drive it about ten feet or so. That was the contest as I remember it from about 25 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksterii wrote:
I believe that I may have seen that actual record breaking engine pull. I believe the rules were that you had to drive the car and park it for the contest. There were two man teams and two floor jacks. They had to remove the engine then pull it back, I think it was ten feet then install the engine. Once installed, you then had to drive it about ten feet or so. That was the contest as I remember it from about 25 years ago.

I think it was 1 floor jack and two jack stands.
I was at that Bug In as well, not sure which one it was. They had the motor out of the bug and dragged the 10 feet in under 1 min. The last minute 17 was to install it back in.
I remember one of the cars one year had a white fiberglass front end and dude pulled the car forward instead of back and hit the 6x6 post holding up the guard rail. The front end had a square sized chunk knocked out of his fiberglass. OOPS
syssolu12005
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Engine Pull. Reply with quote

Hello my Name is Eugene Johnson.I saw your posts discussing the Engine Pull Contest from the OCIR bugins. I grew up next door to Fred Simpson.From the age of about 10 I spent just about every day in his garage. I can tell you stories from the early buggins right through to how guys like Jack Sachetti started.Man I knew EVERYBODY.Anyway, I was with Fred at buggin one time when Rand Foster "ZUBIE" and fred and I where watching the engine pull at halftime. Fred was laughing,It was pretty funny seeing these guys taking so long.Right than he decided not only was he going to break whatever the record was then but destroy it.He had an old 8mm camera with him so he filmed the entire thing.In The next few days we all watched the film and fred started picking it apart and noteing everything that was slowing them down. Man it was amazing,Fred noticed EVERYTHING.Little things like losing the bolts and spending almost 8 minutes just trying to find them.Anyway, he made a big list of all this and he and Zubie spent the next couple months solving everyone of them.About a week before the next buggin They decided they had everything and where ready to try it. So the saturday before (Buggins always on Sunday)on Freds driveway they made there first run through it.For now I wont go through how the contest was run,you guys seem to have the basic of it.But I can go throught it later.Actually Im skipping over a lot of great parts of the storie that I will be happy to tell later. So anyway you have a compeltetly stock (passes tech before) vw,Fred and Zubie 40 feet away with only 1 floor jack,two Jack stands and "hand tools only" and me with a stop watch/Thats right I was about 15yrs old I timed the very first world record. And man was it scary.The car actuall came off the stands and missed Zubie by about 2 inches.Fred wife Linda almost pulled the plug on the whole things because she said they where gonna kill someone.But when we looked at the stop watch everyone went into shock.I actually forgot to stop it for probably a minute becuase of what happened and they still where over twenty minutes faster than the previous record. I thought for sure I screwed up and said do it again.Fred was already getting ready and started again.This time it went almost perfectly as planned.After about two more runs they had it down to 2mins and 59seconds. Unbelievable.Fred pack up,put the car on the trailer and off we went.I remmember the next morning Fred and I met Zubie at a Dennys down off the 5frwy for breakfast and ran into Dyno Don and I think it was Rich Kimbale.Fred told them what he was up to but wouldnt tell them just HOW good it was going to be.But that they should be ready for a event that would be remmembered in VW history FOREVER. Anyway,my fingers are getting tired so I cut it short for now.Write back if you are interested or Know anyone who is.I actuall have some a lot of amazing stories about the history of VW racing and the California Scene in the late 70s and 80s.Like I said I knew EVERYONE.Fred was actually more like a father to me than anything. I actually was the first one to drive a Fully competetive pro Car under Simpson Racing.Fred is actually responsible for more of todays champions and records than anyone realizes or he gets credit for.But thats just the way he is.Never tell him he CANT do something unless your ready to be proven wrong,but at the same time the most humble man Ive ever met.I swear on a stack of bibles that all I will tell you is 100% true.Call him and ask him ABOUT Gene or the headgames car.He will probably just smile and say "YA he was a pest, but he 's not lying or something like that.I look forward to hearing from you.I have wanted to tell my story for years and never really came across the right opertunity.Maybe you can help me with that and together we can make a few people smile and be proud to be "OLD SCHOOL".Write back soon. Thank you

Eugene Johnson
ErcseRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Pull. Reply with quote

syssolu12005 wrote:
Hello my Name is Eugene Johnson.I saw your posts discussing the Engine Pull Contest from the OCIR bugins. I grew up next door to Fred Simpson.From the age of about 10 I spent just about every day in his garage. I can tell you stories from the early buggins right through to how guys like Jack Sachetti started.Man I knew EVERYBODY.Anyway, I was with Fred at buggin one time when Rand Foster "ZUBIE" and fred and I where watching the engine pull at halftime. Fred was laughing,It was pretty funny seeing these guys taking so long.Right than he decided not only was he going to break whatever the record was then but destroy it.He had an old 8mm camera with him so he filmed the entire thing.In The next few days we all watched the film and fred started picking it apart and noteing everything that was slowing them down. Man it was amazing,Fred noticed EVERYTHING.Little things like losing the bolts and spending almost 8 minutes just trying to find them.Anyway, he made a big list of all this and he and Zubie spent the next couple months solving everyone of them.About a week before the next buggin They decided they had everything and where ready to try it. So the saturday before (Buggins always on Sunday)on Freds driveway they made there first run through it.For now I wont go through how the contest was run,you guys seem to have the basic of it.But I can go throught it later.Actually Im skipping over a lot of great parts of the storie that I will be happy to tell later. So anyway you have a compeltetly stock (passes tech before) vw,Fred and Zubie 40 feet away with only 1 floor jack,two Jack stands and "hand tools only" and me with a stop watch/Thats right I was about 15yrs old I timed the very first world record. And man was it scary.The car actuall came off the stands and missed Zubie by about 2 inches.Fred wife Linda almost pulled the plug on the whole things because she said they where gonna kill someone.But when we looked at the stop watch everyone went into shock.I actually forgot to stop it for probably a minute becuase of what happened and they still where over twenty minutes faster than the previous record. I thought for sure I screwed up and said do it again.Fred was already getting ready and started again.This time it went almost perfectly as planned.After about two more runs they had it down to 2mins and 59seconds. Unbelievable.Fred pack up,put the car on the trailer and off we went.I remmember the next morning Fred and I met Zubie at a Dennys down off the 5frwy for breakfast and ran into Dyno Don and I think it was Rich Kimbale.Fred told them what he was up to but wouldnt tell them just HOW good it was going to be.But that they should be ready for a event that would be remmembered in VW history FOREVER. Anyway,my fingers are getting tired so I cut it short for now.Write back if you are interested or Know anyone who is.I actuall have some a lot of amazing stories about the history of VW racing and the California Scene in the late 70s and 80s.Like I said I knew EVERYONE.Fred was actually more like a father to me than anything. I actually was the first one to drive a Fully competetive pro Car under Simpson Racing.Fred is actually responsible for more of todays champions and records than anyone realizes or he gets credit for.But thats just the way he is.Never tell him he CANT do something unless your ready to be proven wrong,but at the same time the most humble man Ive ever met.I swear on a stack of bibles that all I will tell you is 100% true.Call him and ask him ABOUT Gene or the headgames car.He will probably just smile and say "YA he was a pest, but he 's not lying or something like that.I look forward to hearing from you.I have wanted to tell my story for years and never really came across the right opertunity.Maybe you can help me with that and together we can make a few people smile and be proud to be "OLD SCHOOL".Write back soon. Thank you

Eugene Johnson

Eugene, ever heard of John Ercse?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: