Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PO hooked up a fuel pump as the sink pump
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: PO hooked up a fuel pump as the sink pump Reply with quote

It gets power and is making a continuous noise as if it were working but it doesn't pull any water from the tank. It could be clogged I guess or did this never have a chance of working from the get go? Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Just Yank It! Reply with quote

Just yank the jury-rig.

You can order replacements from GoWesty, Bus Depot, or Van Cafe, and I'm told (but cannot vouch) that you can use a cheap live bait well aerator from Wal-Mart (<$20, supposedly) to replace the Westy water pump.

Do it once, do it right, and forget about it for a good long time.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Econoline49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my electric pump goes, I'm going to replace it with a manual faucet pump like this one. http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3640&category_id=128&category_parent_id=

I figure the fewer electrical accessories on the van the better for long term reliability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to order the submersible pump which is what was originally on there but I like the idea of the hand pump too.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Yank It! Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Just yank the jury-rig.

You can order replacements from GoWesty, Bus Depot, or Van Cafe, and I'm told (but cannot vouch) that you can use a cheap live bait well aerator from Wal-Mart (<$20, supposedly) to replace the Westy water pump.

Best!
That's what I did. I bought a 12 volt bait bucket aerator from a bass pro shop. Works perfect, and is quiet.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Yank It! Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
msinabottle wrote:
Just yank the jury-rig.

Best!
That's what I did. I bought a 12 volt bait bucket aerator from a bass pro shop. Works perfect, and is quiet.

You got a link to that pump? or maybe a part number?
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Just Yank It! Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
bucko wrote:
msinabottle wrote:
Just yank the jury-rig.

Best!

You got a link to that pump? or maybe a part number?

No link, and no part number. I went into the store to look for one, as I had also read here that this would work. I went to their fishing area and selected one that flowed something like 3 or 4 GPM (going by memory).

It had a red and black wire (power and ground) with aligator clips on them which I cut off and attached the connectors for the Westy wiring (simple). I think I paid $22.00 for it.
On the GoWesty! site, those pumps are $29.00

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2428&search_phrase=pump&start=

I did not want to wait for it to ship (impatient that week). However, this unit from the bass pro shop works fine. I've seen these same pumps at the sporting goods department of K-Mart, Wal-Mart, and the like. Just make sure it's 12 volts, and it's submersable.

hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the original poster, if this is an example of the "engineering" of the PO, you might be well advised to check behind him on any work he says he did.

How hard is it to find a WATER pump, and how do you even think of using a fuel pump instead? He likely paid more for the fuel pump than the water pump that is working perfectly for Bucko.

Go figure. Very Happy

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we pulled Nathan@el's kitchen from another westy, we saw an odd, PO-added switch on the side, but didn't give it much thought. It turned out to be kind of cool.

What the PO did was add a water pump to a faucet that was a pump faucet. The switch turned the pump on/off, so he could go either way, depending on how much/how long he need the water on.

Not a bad call, I think. If I did mine over again, I'd do it to.

Best,

Lanval
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I've already found a couple of things that have been "messed" with so yes I'm starting to go through it all. I didn't order the pump yet so maybe a quick run the walmart to check out the bait well pump is in order.
camrenj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with parts that fit right Wink I just got my new water pump from Gowesty today and it fit and only took a few minutes to install. They also sent some chocolate gold coins to boot. It's always cheaper to do it right the first time Cool
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camrenj wrote:
You can't go wrong with parts that fit right Wink I just got my new water pump from Gowesty today and it fit and only took a few minutes to install. They also sent some chocolate gold coins to boot. It's always cheaper to do it right the first time Cool

Excellent point! Most folks will attempt to "pinch a penny", only to find that they end up re-doing the job again. Doubling the price.

However, in the case of the pump, my 84 used one that is located in the water tank itself, so simply removing the top (unscrews), there is easy access to install an aftermarket pump (such as a bait bucket airator) or the stock replacement. I think that later models (?) used a pump that was "inline" and under the sink cabinet. Or perhaps it was the earlier models?

msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: It was... Reply with quote

The earlier models had the inline water pumps.

Best!
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an almost exact replacement for $24:

http://www.tmcin.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=18
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: