Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One for the books....with PICS!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewafish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome story, made me laugh out loud and be extra thankful for living snow free. thanks!
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got some nuts, I gotta tell ya. Great use of that duct tape. Too bad thats a terminal case o cancer. Tell you what. I can weld. Give her to me. I'll keep her on the road. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: road trip Reply with quote

Loved your story! AND love the side door! Guys like you make me want to keep on Bussin, bad influence, you are, haha! You know its not too hard to replace the lower track, and you don't have to do it all at once though it is easier You have given me hope..........and by keeping them going you are saving the environment
Bay74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the amount of trouble the slider gives me...it would be awesome to rig up a door like that. Except then you can't open it in tight parking spaces.
Townzee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to meet Vdubtech last weekend and take a ride in this very machine. If you get a chance to meet him you wont be sorry. He is a hell of a nice guy and knows his stuff. As for this bus, I cant belive how well and smooth it runs. Thanks for coming down Vdub.

TOWNZEE
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that was a cool story, and nice pics too. It would be a shame to part that thing. Might be a good idea to drive it as a parts mule for a while.

Thanks for sharing.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 'dubtech, did you have to jack it up to chain up? I usually just throw the chains over the top of the wheel and buckle 'em at the bottom. Not criticizin', just offering an easier way...We get tons of snow in the spring out here so extra weight and chains are my Westy's friend. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey 'dubtech, did you have to jack it up to chain up? I usually just throw the chains over the top of the wheel and buckle 'em at the bottom. Not criticizin', just offering an easier way...We get tons of snow in the spring out here so extra weight and chains are my Westy's friend. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
gmag69
Type2 Nutcase

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Townzee wrote:
I was lucky enough to meet Vdubtech last weekend and take a ride in this very machine. If you get a chance to meet him you wont be sorry. He is a hell of a nice guy and knows his stuff. As for this bus, I cant belive how well and smooth it runs. Thanks for coming down Vdub.

TOWNZEE

You got that right. He helped with parts for my blue bus and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have my Westy. I always enjoy BSing with him. We've spent hours talking about buses. Alot of fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:

Don't know that I had to jack it up, but I had the jack with me and this was my first experience with tire chains so I used it. Seemed easier to me is all....
aggri1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said that was legal? No way that amount of rust would be OK'd here. Then again, I haven't seen many in that condition over here either!

Love the photos, snow is way grouss! Cool story.

A.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech:
What are the specs of this thing? does it still have the whole stock exhaust? Muffler? EGR? How many miles?
Thanks, Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vdubtech, you got b...s !! Nice trip and thanks for sharing it with us. And thanks to the guys who invented the digital cameras, to make it possible sharing all our stories, resto projects,...But please man, save that bus, or sell it to someone who will save it. Seems that there already is some volunteers... Wink

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
VDubTech:
What are the specs of this thing? does it still have the whole stock exhaust? Muffler? EGR? How many miles?
Thanks, Al

Stock 2.0 liter, stock exhaust, EGR disconnected and plugged off. Stock F/I and as of yesterday 52,846 original miles. It had a brand new stock VW muffler on it when I brought it home. Once the weather gets warmer I will be doing a full tune up, which as of now, I haven't done. I've replaced all of the fuel lines and the rotor and that's about it.
nebe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i used to put chains on my 1st bus, i would lay them down infront of the tires and drive on to them...then connect them. That i the easiest way IMO...
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
69doublecab wrote:
VDubTech:
Thanks, Al

Stock 2.0 liter, stock exhaust, EGR disconnected and plugged off. Stock F/I and as of yesterday 52,846 original miles. It had a brand new stock VW muffler on it when I brought it home. Once the weather gets warmer I will be doing a full tune up, which as of now, I haven't done. I've replaced all of the fuel lines and the rotor and that's about it.

Well, I guess that doesn't help (or hurt) my theory, which is that the EGR left connected will lower combustion temperatures and therefore decrease valve seat dropping.
It just seems puzzling to me why in original trim these engines would often last 200k miles, then when rebuilt wouldn't go 40k without dropping valve seats. I'm sure the fuel is somewhat different, but that much different?
Damn near every singe engine has the EGR plugged for lack of a filter, or perhaps the owner knows more than the manufacturer. YES, I've done it too.But that's my story and I'm stickin with it. But still asking, too.
Oh, is yours 49 state or California spec? the 49 state would have poinst ignition, the CA electronic. (And somewhat different exhaust and FI system.)
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Federal emissions, I know the difference between CA and Federal, I've got a CA emissions '79 Westy in the garage with the original F/I. God I love that electronic ignition!! I didn't disconnect the EGR on this one, it was done when I got it, but it wasn't plugged off at all. When I went through the motor replacing vacuum hoses and fuel lines and checking for vacuum leaks I saw it was open so I closed it off and sealed it up. Part of the reason it's disconnected probably has something to do with the new muffler that was installed and has no provision for the EGR--or it was already gone when they got the muffler and bought it without it on purpose. Either way, I drive it daily. Fires up at all temps and has given me no troubles whatsoever, no matter how hard I push it. I let off just before I hit 85 on a long open stretch of highway.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nebe wrote:
when i used to put chains on my 1st bus, i would lay them down infront of the tires and drive on to them...then connect them. That i the easiest way IMO...

Those cable chains are the good stuff now. Work good and quieter.
You know, people in the lower 38 states probably have no idea what a tire chain is. Back in the 50's everybody used them. All winter, just didn't drive fast. They didn't salt roads around here till about 1970, I think.
And about 1/3 the amount of traffic, too.
Al
Vanagons:
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my first experience using chains and I was born and still reside in Syracuse, NY, where winters regularly accumulate close to 200 inches of snow. The snow I could handle, it was the steep incline in the mountains and the crappy tires that made it impassable without the chains. I wasn't expecting them to work as well as they did, once they were on, it was like driving a tank!! I was very impressed. I probably could have put the chains on just fine without the jack, but I had it, so why not? I didn't have to move the Bus at all, it only took a couple of minutes and we were back on our way. I passed that blue Accord further down the road, stuck trying to get up another hill. You shoulda seen the looks on people's faces as I Drove by with those chains on. First they heard it....then they saw me.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
It's Federal emissions, I know the difference between CA and Federal, I've got a CA emissions '79 Westy in the garage with the original F/I. God I love that electronic ignition!! I didn't disconnect the EGR on this one, it was done when I got it, but it wasn't plugged off at all. When I went through the motor replacing vacuum hoses and fuel lines and checking for vacuum leaks I saw it was open so I closed it off and sealed it up. Part of the reason it's disconnected probably has something to do with the new muffler that was installed and has no provision for the EGR--or it was already gone when they got the muffler and bought it without it on purpose. Either way, I drive it daily. Fires up at all temps and has given me no troubles whatsoever, no matter how hard I push it. I let off just before I hit 85 on a long open stretch of highway.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not bad- 185-14 tires. Or something with a /75 or /70 on the front?
My old 78 could get the needle just to the "O" in VDO. But it wasn't stock. I did have stock FI, though. (with a few tweeks to richen it up a hair.)
BTW, I think the inlet for the EGR filter comes from a fitting on the Y-pipe on the 79 federal, not the muffler. I've got the remains of one, I'll look.
Al
Vanagons:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: