Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just installed new pop top
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Just installed new pop top Reply with quote

I ordered a new canvas for my pop-top on my 72 westy. I took the whole fiber-glass top off. I got the top installed, put the fiber glass back on the bus and guess what? I put the canvas on backwards. Im an idiot. I couldnt stand being a failure so I worked well into the cold Colorado night. I just got done and it looks awesome. I am very happy with the install. Though it took a long time, it looks great. The product is great too, and the best price Ive found so far. $220 shipped to my door. Anyway, just thought Id share.
matt
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Just installed new pop top Reply with quote

Hey Matt

Other than the obviuous problem did you run into any other hitches along the way? I am going to be putting new canvas on mine this summer. Did you have to replace the plastic staple strips? How long did it take or would it have taken without the little detour? Congrats!

Jasan
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Just installed new pop top Reply with quote

sounds like something i would have done!
post some pics
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Just installed new pop top Reply with quote

Who supplied your canvas?

Larry in OB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bags Buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Just installed new pop top Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I got my canvas from the bus depot in Pa.
I reused my strips from the fiberglass top.
I left my top on the camper. The big thing is to measure ALL of your center points there are 16 , and do a good job doing the measuring so that they all line up or you will end up with to much material in one spot or another. The real bitch was puting the strip and the canvas on the top up side down. But I think it was better than pulling the top off of the camper. They said give yourself 6-8 hours to do it,and they weren't lieing. But when you are done you can say I did it myself. Good Luck Karl
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Just installed new pop top Reply with quote

It only took me probably 4 hours if you dont include the mess up of me putting it on backwards. I also got my top from the bus-depot. I reused my tack strip, but I also put in about 1/2" screws to the strip. About 3 in each to make sure it would hold. I would recommend taking the top off. I cant imagine trying to put it on with the top on. your arms would get real sore. Maybe thats why it only took me 4 hours. I think that If I were to do it again, I could probably do it in 2 hours. Its not that tough.
matt
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Just installed new pop top Reply with quote

Here's a description of the job. We did it with the top off. We fixed a tent by putting in new screens and zippers, and that took a while to make sure all the seams were right. Some of the corner screws were hard to get at, but if you take your time it looks great! Jeremy

www.type2.co.uk/canvas/newslis...wslist.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Just installed new pop top Reply with quote

http://www.type2.co.uk/canvas/newslist.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: