Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread Reply with quote

Hi all,

the idea is to post a description of one Van/Westy you have seen on the road (no need to put lic.#)...

10 years ago I saw quite a lot but now there's month I didn't see one...

time: approx. 6 pm. / 032208
description: 1960 (about) Westy, White, immaculate condition, California rear lic. plate, German front lic. plate, spare wheel in white cover in front..

do you recognize yourself?... Smile

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
redtail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are like rats in SE Portland. I swear there's a vanagon or bus on every block. An orange 81 drove by my house about 15 minutes ago.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redtail wrote:
They are like rats in SE Portland. I swear there's a vanagon or bus on every block. An orange 81 drove by my house about 15 minutes ago.

Yeah, Redtail's right. I have three Syncros, four Westies, a bay window Westy, and a GL all within a five block radius. Not like I'm keeping count or anything...

One of these days one of the Syncros is going to have a for sale sign in it... Very Happy
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Location, location, location. Here in the Dallas area, the only one I see is my own going back and forth to work, 5 days a week.

Saw MIGHTYART's aircooled tooling down the road last weekend.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Still See 'Em! Reply with quote

I still see 'em in South Denver. There's always a pod in Blazer's lot, and I often see 'em when I'm not in the Van, so there's less point in waving. I was driving Winston down Arapahoe Wednesday and there was round-eyes stock white Vanagon puttering behind me in the fast lane...

Shocked

...where Vanagons should never go. She looked pretty surprised when I rolled down Winston's window and shouted, 'GET THAT WRECK OFF THE ROAD!' I had to point to what I was driving to help her get the joke. She asked if mine was the camper...

Shocked

I said, 'yes,' and that if she needed a garage there's nobody better than Blazer on Broadway. Close encounters of the Vanagon Kind. Had a similar enounter in the parking lot of the Lowes at Bellevue and Santa Fe. I didn't have Winston that day, and the lady looked a bit puzzled at me walking around and admiring her '84 Wolfsberg Westy--like Winston, but with a nicer interior and trim. She was delighted to find that I was a Vanagonizer, and to hear about Blazer.

She'd just moved up to Denver. Haven't seen that van since, but they're still around.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hasavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Saw one Reply with quote

I saw a blue Westy Vanagaon, maybe an 85 or so today on the number three highway just outside the Village of Chester on a wicked turn called Wake Up Hill, across from the road to Marriotts Cove. I bet there are damned few of your here who know where this is, but I saw one!

Three weeks ago, I saw an older "bus" in Western Shore again on the number three highway, yellow and white in colour with Yukon plates, but I know they are now locals. I wonder if they drove their bus from the Yukon to Nova scotia or had it transported, what a trip.

Most vans and busses are laid up for the winter here due to the salt on the highways and winter driving, so it will be another month or so before we are all out there in force.

"You can lead a horse to water, but it takes a strong man to drown him." Dutch Mason, Prime Minister of the Blues.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean besides mine when I pass by some windows?... lol
In the upstate of SC, I'm lucky to ever see ANY Vanagons, let alone a Westy...
In the nearly 2 years since I got mine and started restoring it...
I could count all the "on-the-road" Vanagons on one hand...
and I've seen one Westy once... in the Wally-World parking lot a few months back...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few in central washington on Hwy 97 heading north around Okanogan. Last one I saw was a westy a white one. about 2 weeks ago.
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the kids to a show in SE last night (Hawthorne Theatre). went for a walk and every street I looked down had one form or another of Bus,Westy,Syncro etc. for those of you in that area with an aircooled,there is a copy of the Bentley at Powell's on Hawthorne for $12.95 some joker on e-bay is asking $130 for the same one.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE, lately? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Hi all,

the idea is to post a description of one Van/Westy you have seen on the road (no need to put lic.#)...

because 10 years ago a saw quite a lot but now there's month I didn't see one...

time: approx. 6 pm.
description: 1960 (about) Westy, White, immaculate condition, California rear lic. plate, German front lic. plate, spare wheel in white cover in front..

do you recognize yourself?... Smile

You're in So Cal and you sometimes go a month without seeing another westy? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Step out of the house once in a while. Wink
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: ha ha ha... Reply with quote

Levi... you make me laugh...

Very Happy Very Happy

I am commuting 50 miles both way to work every day on the crowded So Cal freeway system..., once a week using my Van.... sometimes I saw Lanval blue Westy and that's all...

I tell myself maybe it's a mater of timing... they're must be out there either in FRONT of me or BEHIND me... that's why I didn't see them...

Crying or Very sad

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I ever see (besides mine) is one belonging to a neighbor's brother. Comes over to visit occasionally driving his late 80's Vanagon Weekender.

Hardly ever see one on the road.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are thick as flies here in north Seattle.

Driving north as 3rd ave NW and 85th n in Ballard last week. I was at the light and there was one of us (me is my 87 Westy) on each corner North, South East and West bound.

In the 4-5 block radius of my house here in Fremonth (again Seattle)there are aleast 10 if not more.

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
vanagon john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many in Cincinnati. I see maybe one or two vanagons every couple of months. EV's are a little more common but normally have a soccer mom driving (I say this because they don't wave or even look twice to see another vw vanny on the road). Bay windows...I think I saw one once driving on the road. It looked more like it was sitting in the junk yard for the better part of it's life. So all of you that have other transporters around just realize that some us don't have much love in our towns.

peace-
John
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Banjojay67's '89 Westy today, not going anywhere. It is under almost as much snow as mine (must be a wind circulation thing where he is parked because I could actually see blue. Oh well, spring will be here soon.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I see at least 2-3 om my commute every day. common as dirt here in seattle.
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot there are 4 in our town. Including mine. but I have never talked to the owners or seen them yet.
Bubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's usually a few around town every now and then, unfortunately it's practically always when I'm not in my own van so there's no point in waving. There's also a green Eurovan with a "NEWBUS" vanity plate that I've seen everywhere.
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't seen mine lately, 'cause it's getting a new engine. Then I'll be all over the 22 heading to the junkyards in Anaheim.

There's about 4-5 westies that I see regularly in and around campus, aside from the three of us who live here. A whole bunch of other vanagons, and if you go over to the pier on 21st down on the Peninsula, and see a white bay window westy with a guy playing hacky-sack or guitar... say hi to Rory ~ cool surfer kid I see at the beach quite often.

Best,

Lanval
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the year since I bought my first Vanagon, I've seen only two more in motion- one in Louisville, and another in New Albany, Indiana, right across the river.
I knew of two that were parked, but one has disappeared.

Very rare around here, nothing at the Pull-A-Part junk yards in three states.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 169

Jump to: