Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problem with car turning off
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61vdubbug
Wildlife Wookie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Problem with car turning off Reply with quote

My 52 sits on a 58 chassis with a 36hp engine. I don't know which forum to ask for help in, so I’m asking in the split forum since you guys are more knowledgeable.

I haven’t driven the split since last fall. Today I went over to where it’s parked and tried to start it. I pulled the choke out, turned the key, and it started right up. I pushed the choke back in, let it idle for a while to warm up, then I put it in reverse, put my foot on the gas and poof, turned off. This went on for a while. It starts and idles fine, but when you try to go anywhere it turns itself off. Bummer.

I made sure that the air filter was clean, filled, shut and tight on the carb. The carb doesn’t seem to have any blockage. Spark plugs are good. Compression was checked last fall as was the timing. I’m going back over there tomorrow, and if anyone can point me in the right direction on what to tackle I’d really, really appreciate it. Thank you. Eric.
52 Split Beetle

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." - Muhammad Ali
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be the accelerator pump on the carb, the diaphram may have failed causing the engine to quit (fuel starvation) when you press on the accelerator. (I had the power fuel tube dislodge and drop into the carb once, found it stuck in the intake valve on the # 2 cylinder, that was a rush). To check if the accellerator pump is working take the air cleaner off look into the carb pull back the accelerator and see if fuel is being sprayed into the venturi. This may or may not be the problem but gotta start somewhere.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61vdubbug
Wildlife Wookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, i'll check it out.
52 Split Beetle

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." - Muhammad Ali
xeno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it can suck air from a bad intake seal can do that also.

X
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: