Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'79 F/I kicking the Dr's butt !
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: '79 F/I kicking the Dr's butt ! Reply with quote

I have a '79 beetle that came to me in the fall running but leaking fuel everywhere. In October I pulled the tank, replaced all the fuel lines up front, all the filler hoses & breather tubes etc, removed the unused gas heater fuel pump and put it back together. It sat until Dec and when I went to put it in the garage it wouldn't start but I could hear the fuel pump running, I figured I had only put 1/2 gallon back in the tank it must be too low. I've now finished a complete interior and a host of other things and got back to the fuel system. I replaced all the hoses, injector seats & seals and had to replace the fuel pressure line in the tunnel from the shift inspection hole to the engine as it was rotted out at the rubber grommet.
Now it is all back together and the little bastard wont start. This car has always had a sticky double realy or something for the 20 years I've worked on it as the fuel pump runs whenever the key is on and I can hear the pump and hear gas returning to the tank.
I've been through the whole diagnostic procedure and the only thing I can see out of spec is the themp sensor on #4 head reads 4.75k ohms. The book says it should be 2.5k ohms at room temp. It is 45 degrees in the garage currently so I'm thinking maybe thet is why it is higher. WHen they fail they usually go to 0 or infinity ohms.
The car will start and run on either so I ruled out ignition issues and I can see no vacuum leaks. The battery voltage is 11.9 - 12.1 a little low but the car should start on 9.5v or better.
I was looking for some ideas before I go get my other '79 to do some comparisons. I'll find it and fix it but in the interest of time I thought I'd throw this out here.
Thanks.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the injectors actually lighting up your noid light and what kind of fuel predssure are you seeing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Chevy S10 would barely run after a battery change. Come to find out, the positive cable was about a quarter turn loose. I wonder if you have enough voltage for the starter to turn, but not enough voltage for the computer to run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the temp sensor chart. If it is 45F in your garage, that sensor may not be too far off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You may have to click to enlarge.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks the temp sensor tested fine when I warmed up the garage.
No now I'm not getting voltage to the injectors, last night I was getting a weak flicker with a test light, now nothing with an LED so I'm off to check the double relay when I'm done shoveling this @%$@#^%# snow again.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got dwell?
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Got dwell?

I assume it has dwell as it drove here in the fall then ran on starting fluid yesterday but you are correct I shouldn't overlook dwell as it would throw off the coil terminal 1 reading at the ECU.

I found an intermittant curcuit (coil terminal 15 wire at the dual relay) and traced it to corroded connector under the back seat (the little one that splices 3 wires for cranking signal, coil signal) and now have injector pulse and can hear the injectors clacking loudly when I step on the gas and crank.

The dual relay has two new connectors with 4" of yellow wires spliced into the original harness and it is a newer plastic housing relay.
While looking at the splice job (looks fine) I noticed a small brown wire not connected to anything. I traced it into the harness that goes under the luggage carpet carpet and comes out under the seat and the brown wire exits the harness and connects to the (-) battery terminal so I added an eyelet to it and bolted it to the ECU housing.

Maybe someone could look to see if this is in fact where it goes ?

Ohms are correct between terminals at the AFM.

The battery appears to have a dead cell, I can't get more than 11.5 out after a charge and it falls on its face cranking without a boost so I'm going to go get a new battery before I continue as well as double check that I have the fuel lines from the tank correct.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
Thanks the temp sensor tested fine when I warmed up the garage.
No now I'm not getting voltage to the injectors, last night I was getting a weak flicker with a test light, now nothing with an LED so I'm off to check the double relay when I'm done shoveling this @%$@#^%# snow again.

Check the resistor pack. I would start with testing the connections at both ends of the resistor pack. I would actually play with all the electrical plugs to make sure they are snag.

I put a new fuel pump on mine and it worked fine but then the fuel pump stopped working. I thought it fried. Started with testing for power at the pump connectors and there was nothing. The double relay was working fine (I could hear it click). There was no power to the pump when I put a screwdriver in the air flow sensor door.
I traced the electric wires from the pump back and found out the connector inside the trunk got loose. Put it back together and it is all working fine.

One easy thing to do is to pull out the injectors (since there is only one screw holding them and 2 of them come out together), hold a rag under them and have someone crank the motor. They should spray fuel.

I would also look into the fuel pressure valve at the passanger side behind the rear engine tin. If it's bad then it is possible the fuel is returning into the tank and there is not enough pressure for the injectors even though the fuel pump is good.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked and the brown wire goes to pin #85 on the double relay.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, whoever wired the has pin #85 grounded to the ecu chassis, same place I ran the brown wire to so it it OK.

I'll report back maybe Sunday when I have more time to play with it.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates?
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't get back at it until Monday I had to finish a couple other jobs.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDarby wrote:
I won't get back at it until Monday I had to finish a couple other jobs.

Forgot you said you will be busy. Keep us posted.
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

OK: Problem #1 was a corroded connector in the F/I's ignition coil sensor wire at the three pin connector under the back seat on the left side. It is a black wire. This is the wire that gets current from terminal #15.

Problem #2 was someone replaced the connectors at the duel relay at one time and has the terminal #85 wire grounded to the ECU's body. The ECU is held to a painted bracket with a strap. When I recarpeted the car the strap must lay in a different spot. What I did is connect the original brown wire that came from the (-) battery cable to the ECU's bosy as well giving it a solid ground connection at all times.

Problem #3 was the battery itself. Fully charged it only had 11.5-11.9 volts. While cranking the engine I was only getting 8.6 volts to the coil. The battery must have a bad cell and when boosted is loosing voltage internally so the car still wasn't getting enough voltage. I swapped a known good battery out of another car this afternoon after not touching the '79 all weekend and it fired 1st turn of the key and runs flawlessly.

Operation a complete, thanks for your input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: