Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OG Thing Part demand
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: OG Thing Part demand Reply with quote

I've got an opportunity to pick up 2 more things semi-locally that potentially are in better shape than what I have now. I'm thinking about grabbing them, and combining the best of them into one car, and parting out/selling off the rest. They are all complete 73's and have the gas heaters with them. If I decide to go this route, whats the market like for OG thing parts? Just looking to make enough money back to cover my investment in them.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiper parts, back seat springs, harness,
rhedrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have the correct 73 fan shroud they can fetch good prices. All OG parts are good to have and are wanted. Now how much you get for them.........depends on what someone will pay.
spaeth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought and sold lots of parts at VW swap meets over the years. The more specialized the part the more money you can sell for, but it also means that there are less buyers to sell to. The internet makes this a little easier to connect with these people but then you have shipping to deal with.

I was always excited to find the pre 58 blade bus bumpers or the ambulance fans out of a split window bus, but to tell the truth I always made more money parting out super beatles.

I guess the short answer is you will probably do fine in the long run, it just might take some time to find your buyers.

hope this helps,
Craig
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well apparently one of them comes with a hardtop, whats the deal with those?
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sold a hard top for $500. It was an original VWOA top, which are the ones in greatest demand. The other type was made by Fiberjet and is less desirable. Of course, location drives the price as well. Not much of a market in the sunny south-west, by northerners will want them. I'm in North Carolina and sold my top to a guy in Virginia.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: