Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash Pad Removal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Dash Pad Removal Reply with quote

The padded edge on my dashboard (long, thin, goes clear across between the vertical and horizontal) is badly cracked. I spotted a good one in a junkyard, but before I tear apart two dashboards-- is there a way to just remove JUST the padded edge? I see a row of bolts from behind--do these allow the removal of the edge or will I have to completely remove both dashboards? Thanks for any help, working upside down and blind in a freezing junkyard won't be fun, any guidance is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Dash Pad Removal Reply with quote

You have some 10mm nuts along the inside edge to remove, the difficult one is just to the side of your ventilation levers under the dash, wires and cables annoying. The grab handle also has to be removed. It is an easy job, no dashboard removal necessary.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Dash Pad Removal Reply with quote

The easest way I found after doing 2,is to remove the wind shield first then you have easy access to the screws in front of the defroster vents. Remove those then remove the screws that hold the dash in place behind the doors The only upside down work is the bolts that hold the steering yoke to the dash. Basicly your loosing the dash up so you can get under the top-tin of the dash w/1/4in drive-10mm socket and a 12in ext.,you also need a 11mm socket for the grab handle why they did that I do'nt know.Good Luck,DavidK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Dash Pad Removal Reply with quote

Thanks. When I'm hanging upside down like a bat in that junkyard I will think kind thoughts about you.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Dash Pad Removal Reply with quote

I have also removed the metal defroster panel ( to paint ) and found no need to remove the windshield, (horrors!) those defroster vent screws are a snap with a stubby phillips. The front screws are reachable with a long phillips.
The padded strip just falls off after the 10mm screws and 11mm grab handle screws are removed. No other disassembly required! Bring a nice little 10mm box wrench to tickle loose the hard-to-get nuts, push in on the padded strip and they'll unscrew with your fingers.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: