Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

R & R Brake Power Booster
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: R & R Brake Power Booster Reply with quote

Well, I decided to finally bite the bullet and finally replace my master cylinder, brake power booster and brake light switches.
I noticed a really slight leak coming out the bottom of the booster, occasionally leaving a drop on my floor maps.
I've had the parts sitting around for a couple of weeks and since I just finished a short trip this last weekend and want to go to the "Circle Yer Wagens" in Gatlinburg in a few weeks, I thought it would be a good time to tackle the job.
I have dash completely apart, master cylinder off and the booster bracket loose and thought this might be a good time to call it a day and tap the wealth of knowledge in the forum.
The booster, bracket and pedals assembly don't feel like its going just slip right out from behind the structural member (in retrospect, I need to go back and undo the line on the clutch master cylinder)
I need some suggestion on the next steps on pulling it away from the dash enough so I can undo the clevis pin from the brake pedal and undo the four nuts that hold the booster to the bracket
Thanx for the advise in advance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull it as a unit, peds and all. It will slip out thru the top.
Raynor Shine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, carefully move the unit out of the vehicle. I just did this and it lifts up and then forward to remove it.Be careful you don't get hung up on the wires. You'll need an extension to get at the right side bottom bolt. It's kinda hidden in there and re- intall was kinda tricky on that bolt.

This will also give you a chance to check out the springs and everything.

You'll be glad when it's done.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been suggested to check springs etc. on pedals.

FWIW the cost on parts to rebuild the cluster isn't too much. (IIRC Smile

Have a good look at the clutch pedal where the small clevis pin goes through. (connects end of pedal to clutch MC pushrod)

On mine it was worn pretty bad. Much less than half the original amount of metal left. I opted to repair it while it was out.

This repair was done before I got my MIG! Smile

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil/iWeb/Site%205/ClutchPedalRepair.html

It took a long time to get the metal hot enough to braze, but it worked.

Cheers,

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all the advice and tips
I managed to pull the booster and pedal assembly up and out enough to access the booster mounting studs and nuts.
Luckily, the ends of my pedals are all in good shape and it was just a matter of R&Ring the booster and the reinstalling the clevis on the threaded end of the booster and adjusting it
Thought while I was at it, I'd see if I can clean up snakes' nest of wires behind the dash while its open... not an easy task
Took a break for today and will continue the task tomorrow. With in any luck at all, I should have very thing buttoned up and back in place by the end of the weekend
Thanx again
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: