Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Photo favor request - some stock Thing parts
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Photo favor request - some stock Thing parts Reply with quote

Hey All,

Got a favor to ask of a fellow Thinger with a digital camera, and a couple of minutes to spare. I'm trying to figure out what a few things should look like on/in my Thing, and I don't have anything to look at for comparison.

First: I'd like to see what the stock insertion point for the Bilstein jack looks like underneath the rocker. Before I replaced my pans, the previous owner had replaced all of that area with fiberglass, so there's not much that remains under there that's stock. I'm having some metal fabrication done now to correct this, and I'd like to see what the jack insertion point looks like so I can replicate it. There's only one on each side, right?

Second: I'm replacing the right dash pannel (the one with the 12-volt outlet, hazard switch, etc.), and I'd like to see what the 12-volt outlet should look like with it's flip cover in place. I have the flip cover (still looking for the actual outlet), but the tab on the flip cover that sticks into the outlet seems a bit narrow to me - just want to see what this is supposed to look like.

Lastly: I'm trying to figure out how the spare tire should be positioned under the hood in order to properly hook up the air-powered windshield washer. Right now, my spare is mounted upside-down (so that the air filler stem is facing down. This seems to be where the wheel fits best with the hold-down clamp, and the extra storage in the deep part of the wheel is nice, but it seems like it would be difficult to hook up the windshield washer, and periodically reinflate the tire this way.

You have my sincecest thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out with these requests!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the jack point pics there is only one per side.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=70275
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=70276
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=70277
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=70278

Here are the spare tire pics.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=70279
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=70281

I didn't clean the mud off but the pics should do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My setup is exactly the same as the pictures timgud provided. I don't think the bolt is long enough to have the wheel flipped the other way. It does seem rather impractical to have the washer fluid hose connected underneath. My Dad's super has it on the top side. When checking and filling the tire one almost has to remove it on a Thing.

I am probably going to move my spare tire to the back so I will have to come up with a system to power the squirter fluid. Maybe an old soccer ball Very Happy . Now that would be cool!
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to both you - especially TimGud for the photos. I've got nothing where my jack mounts should be, so they'll definitely help in the fabrication process. And thanks for adding the ruler for scale!

Still scratching my head as to why the VW engineers mounted the spare that way. Must be a reason for it, even though it makes access to the stem a little difficult.

Thanks again!
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Thing Shop has those jacking brackets that go on the bottom of the pan reproduced. You might check with them and bring your wallet.
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the jacking points I took off my pans and I am not going to put them back on so if your intrested in them let me know.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobrakes - I'd definitely be interested in them if they're servicable and you have no plans to reinstall. My e-mail address is in my profile - please feel free to contact me there if you like. Thanks!
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattt wrote:
I think the Thing Shop has those jacking brackets that go on the bottom of the pan reproduced. You might check with them and bring your wallet.

So true--but I would rather have an expensive option rather than none at all
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always assumed they mounted it upside down to give alittle extra storage space in the rim (thats where I store the oil) as there is next to none even without the spare in there.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: some stock thing ideas Reply with quote

the spare wheel is mounted down to make room for the spare gas can, then valve on the washer bottle is supposed to only deflate the tire to 22 psi from the 40 psi limit. there was also a valve on the front lip that let you refill the tire without removal. You should find the balance point when remounting the jack socket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
7thing3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on refilling the spare. All this time I have been removing the tire to fill it. It makes perfect sense that the valve by the washer bottle can be used for the same purpose.
'84 Mercedes 280 CE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: