Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Taking engine out. Help!!!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

As you all know, I just purchased my first VW. I love it to death. I cant drive it yet cause I dont have insurance yet, but I sit in it and just let it run when I get bored. Anyway- thats another story. Befor my three month road trip, I want to make sure it is in excellent running condition. The guy I bought it from put a new engine in, with reciepts to prove it. Coming home from buying it, it only did 60 top speed, 65 if I was going down a hill. This will not work. I need to go at least 70 so my i can actually see some sites this summer. Anyway, I want to take the engine out, inspect it, maybe put in new rings and pistons. Is there a site that can show me how to remove the engine, take it apart, where to set everything when puting it back in (ie, the #1 piston on a chevy must be TDC with the distributor pointing in the right direction for there to be a hope of it starting for the first time.) I am familiar with domestic engines, but I have never worked on a VW. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, if theres anyone in CO that wants to help, you can. Thanks everyone. The samba is a great help.
matt
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

O ya, its a 72 camper.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

You gotta get a copy of tom Wilson's book "How to rebuild your air-cooled volkswagen engine" It covers everything from removal to teardown to inspection to reinstallation, even torque settings. I prefer a book over a website, as i can take my book into the garage with me, for handy reference. hell of a lot easier than lugging my desktop around, and no greasy fingerprints on the keyboard.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

Rather than ripping the engine apart, you could consider changing the transmission to a freeway flyer (unless the one you have already is one). Check it out before you tear your engine down. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

Please do explain this freeway flyer. I probably cant afford it but what is it. I assume its built for highway driving. Thanks.
matt
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

doesnt your bus have a 1700cc engine? my bus does and it does 80-85 mph. maybey i have a freeway flyer and dont even know, how can i tell if i have one.
thanks
lc
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

Are you sure the engine is tuned properly? Have you done a compression check? Are the carbs sync'd? Being he had receipts for a new engine I would check the easy stuff first. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

I tried to do a compression test today but I could not get a wrench in to tighten the compressor, so it lost all its pressure anyway. Any tips on that. How do i Sync the carbs? Im pretty sure their not in sync. I didnt figure that would have made too much of a difference. Remember, I am new to VW's. I used to work on chevy a lot and Ive never dealt with dual carbs, I always thought they would be too big of a pain in the ass. Thanks.
matt
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

I had a 72 with stock 1700cc for awhile and had no problem doing 70mph. You may want to invest in Bently manual and since you are new to VWs maybe get the book by John Muir- How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive. The latter is a very good start to learning how the VW engine and VWs in general work. With a 72 it is going to be much more difficult to work on without the top engine hatch. It was the only year they produced the bus without it. Like timgud said above, start with the easy stuff first. That is most likely all it is, something simple if it is a newer rebuilt engine. When was the last time it had a basic tune-up, valve adjustment. If the valves are out of whack that could be the problem on power.

Good Luck
Jasan
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

hijodepato,

I dont think there is any way to tell if you have a flyer unless you open up the tranny and see what type of gearing is in it. That is basically all the Freeway Flyer is, is just a tranny with a taller fouth gear.

Jasan
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Taking engine out. Help!!! Reply with quote

Matt, sounds to me it's time for a carb and linkage rebuild. Dude do'nt pay any mind to that freeway flier shit.You get the same effect w/a 79 T2 trans. With a 1700cc you should be able to do 70mph. and still have some peddle left. Your succin air and your linkage is sloppie.DavidK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: