Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Biting the bullet and buying a tube bender.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellermanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
I was impresses as well. It is a bit slow going but very easy to use the ratchet system.
Quote:

I have an electric pump.

Some of us can't afford the finer things in life. Laughing

x2 Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that is a cool set up. Cool
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was just going to add, i have the pro tool notcher and it works great. everything lined up perfectly.
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brent, Did you try the Bend-tech program yet? How about a review?

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have used it but not enough to give a proper review.

I did the Center line Radius and the Calibrated CLR. The important one is the Bend Offset Location, well they are all important but this is the one I seem to be having problems with. Now weather I did these incorect.... well I must have because the bends were out a bit. By that I mean the leg lengths were incorrect (but I added material so I was OK). The distance between in my hoops has been perfect 100% of the time so I must have things close, very close.
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around everything and I think I am my own worst enemy. How I'm screwing up I'm not to sure but I must be.
The first bends I did I was using the 1" die set. It was out by a small amount so I went the opposite way with the Bend Offset Location (a negative number.) Then I didn't have anything else to bend with 1" so I'm not 100% sure that set up is dialed in yet. I was out exactly the amount of my offset so it makes sense.
I then moved on to 1 5/8ths. As said the first parts the leg lengths were wrong but the distance between my bars was absolutely dead on.
The last back hoop I did I laid out the bar from both ends (being it was symmetrical) and left the length long (didn't cut it to size). I marked each starting point and end point of the material and added 1" to the first side. I bent it and looked at my lay out marks. They were PERFECT!!! If I would have not added the one inch and if I would have cut the material to length it would have been perfect.

SO, I'm definitely going thorough some growing pains. You would probably not have any issues , again I think I am my worst enemy.

The software is the basic package and is very basic. To do my front hoop I had to make 2 programs because the program does not do 3D. I did the main hoop in one program then I did a second program as the side profile the get the hoop to lay back as the wind screen does. So I was able to do it, just needed to make the two programs.

Once the snow goes away AGAIN I will be out doing some more 1" and will see if I have that die dialed in.

The software works great for laying out your bends, that works really nice. If I can get the leg lengths figured out, and I am close the software will do everything I need. But having said that it is pretty basic!

The most material I have waisted was the material I used to do the calibration of the program. That is not to say I haven't screwed up. I was just able to use the pieces else ware.

The Bender works great but on the degree ring 90 degrees is not 90 degrees even when starting at zero. It has something to do with the starting point on the dies. On 1 5/8ths tube I have to bend 4-5 degrees over after spring back to get the desired angle I want. No big deal but it sure had me scratching my head at first.

As for the notcher. It is working great but have found some limitations. Where I am notching on a radius of a bend.... forget it. You can't clamp and cut in this situation.

It's all just a learning experience. But if I can do this...... See below.... and have never bent a piece of tube in my life it can't be all that hard now can it.

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like your well on your way. Good job. Would you say the program is worth $400.00 for the LE?

And wondering what the heck happen to my Samba post count?!?
Tom Thompson
Tijuana Kustoms Inc. (TM)
1-516-338-8746
www.tjkustoms.com
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

It's a tough call. If you need a 3D Cad type software that you need to design your product on first then that is dirt cheap! Compare to Solid Works or other similar Cad software and you are close to or in the thousands not hundreds.
How well of a job it would do I can't comment because all I can do is a simple few bends or pick from a template (and there are lots of those). Once you have made your simple part you can verify the part by making some simple measurements. I didn't trust these measurements and bent my piece anyway and low and behold I was out by the same amount. So again some growing pains and some understanding of what is all going on is needed on my part.

The software I have looks to have all the buttons of the LE software but they are locked. The help file is also based on the full version so it was very confusing at first until I realized what was going on.

I have played with the JD2 software a bit but I am not too 3D savoy so I am having a hard time latching on to it. But it looks to be some fine software for the price...FREE! And it looks to be able to do as much if not more than Bend Tech. You can do multiple drawings in it and merge them together from the looks of it. Probably similar to what the LE version would do.

By not knowing what your actual needs are and not being able to use the LE Version it's really tough for me to make a recommendation. I definitely would play with the JD2 software and use it to base your decision from. If it is what you need but you need more then the Le Version might be what you need.

Hope this help a little.
POWER ON
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: bender Reply with quote

At this level of fabricating try to help yourself. add a habor freight ram ($50), turn it vertical, and
enjoy!!

Thanks
texasbuggy's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Hey Power On Reply with quote

Hey Power On, I have a question for you, send me an e-mail [email protected] Thanks
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent
Awesome job!!! Very Happy Very Happy

I'll trade some fiberglass work for some bent tubing work!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set up. But I could use the exercise. Laughing

Quote:
I'll trade some fiberglass work for some bent tubing work!!

In a heart beat Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: