Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tunnel rust
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Tunnel rust Reply with quote

I have recently sandblasted my pan (from under car) and front clip/wheel well area, I then applied "zinc rich" krylon primer (spray can) and undercoating. I cannot afford a full on restoration at this time so I am just trying to keep the rust in check. I actually removed all the rust from these areas. Upon removing the eng/ trans to deal with the sheet metal in those areas I noticed rust in the tunnel near the transmission coupler. Obviously I cannot get into this area adequately to deal with the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. Once I have the front end installed I can tow the car to a shop. Any suggestions on a quality shop in the I.E. or O.C. area? I live in Riverside.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunnel rust Reply with quote

POR-15 paint claims to arrest rust. They recommend painting right over surface rust, rather than totally removing it first. No personal experience here. Maybe someone else can chime in.

If you're looking for a body shop, I can't recommend anyone. If you need mechanical work done, you're in luck. There's a Thing specialty shop in Garden Grove called German Motor Works. They do excellent work - from a tune-up to full restorations.
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: tunnel rust Reply with quote

I flushed and blew out my tunnel.

I used Por-15 on a 3' dowel rod and dauber end. I then poured Por-15 in through shifter hole and ebrake hole as well as removed from inspection plate and rear inspection plate. I was able to swish it all around. May not have been 100% covered but got the inside bottom of the tunnel; where any potential moisture would collect.

The Por-15 really spreads and covers nice. Pour it in.

I would suggest also trying a Home Depot spray degreaser tool. It is in tool section. It has a suction feed for fluid and uses air compressor. I used it to spray Master series silver rust encapsulator inside my rockers and any other crevice I could find. It is not a fine sprayer but then you are trying to coat/seal areas that no one can see.

Best of luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Tunnel rust Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate them. Did you use existing holes in rockers to access this area with the crevice tool?
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Tunnel Rust Reply with quote

I drilled 3/4 holes with a hole saw bit along inside of rockers. I will be putting plugs in them when finished.

I spread them out equally to have a uniform look while allowing me to catch each area to be sprayed inside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: