Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thermostat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdagg wrote:
They sell them here but are out of stock now>

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/search.php?substring=thermostat

jim

I have a few good used ones.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
birddog1 wrote:
my answer..it depends
If you have the system on the car I would keep it on and maintained. If you don't have the system AND you live in a warmer climate i.e West Coast or Fla I wouldn't spend the money on buying a system or bother dropping the engine solely to put it on. It's benefit is during cold weather. I wouldn't bother with it unless you live in an area where it's frequently below freezing.

The above is a perfect example of why each one of you asking questions here should take the time to educate yourselves by reading the manuals .. The thermostat was on all the cars for a reason even cars destined for warm climates.. Perhaps second guessing the engineers that designed the product is a better way though???

Anyone telling you to run without the thermostat needs to be put on ignore Sad Would you remove the thermostat from your wifes new Buick if you lived in Florida??? I thought so. Very Happy

Jim-

If you don't know the difference between a Buick and an ACVW I can't help you but I've driven my cars without a thermostat hooked up for 35 years, I haven had a problem and I generally get close to 200K before I rebuild. So if there's a problem someone will need to prove it

As I said I wouldn't remove the system, my cars just never came with one ,but if you live in a warm climate I wouldn't worry about enough to spend money on it. You think the German's were going to build a different system based on where the car was delivered? It was designed to cover all climates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to reinstate the thermostat and flaps on my engine after a P.O. took them out. i sourced parts from a local aircooled mechanic, who warned me against putting them in and not to use a second hand thermostat!

Well he obviously didnt know how they work, its amazing how many people know better than the manufacturer.

There is more risk of harm to engine wear/running in not having them.

CS 101

56' Oval
71' Westy
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutter not only turn the air off and on, they control where it goes. And that is important.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hophead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If cars in warm climates don't need the thermo/flaps assy. then wouldn't you think VW would have saved the $$$ and just not installed them on all their cars sold in "warm weather" markets? It shows you still don't get it Bird Dog 1. Engine operating temps should not be confused with ambient temps. The flap position does help with air flow routing. But hey, you won't have to worry about spending any money on it....

Yes they designed them to work in all climates.... With all the tin and cooling INSTALLED.
P&P 043 40x35.5
9.6-1 comp
FK-8
48 IDA
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hophead wrote:
If cars in warm climates don't need the thermo/flaps assy. then wouldn't you think VW would have saved the $$$ and just not installed them on all their cars sold in "warm weather" markets?

Late model Mexican cars did not have them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But did they have additional baffles in the fan housing.
As horse power ratings went up, look what VW did to the insides of the fan housings. 25-36-early 40hp just had throttle rings on the air intakes. But they didnt shut it off completely. Then when they went to the fresh air heaters, then started installing the shutters. When they went to the 1500/1600 single port, they installed some baffles inside along with the shutters. When they went to the doghouse coolers, the REALLY baffled the inside of the fan housing.
Mexi beetles were never supposed to leave Mexico, which is a very warm climate. Yes, a few made it across the border, but then you know how secure our Mexican border is. I would like to see the inside of a real Mexi beetle fan housing to see how it is set up compared to the german ones.

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
But did they have additional baffles in the fan housing.

I would like to see the inside of a real Mexi beetle fan housing to see how it is set up compared to the german ones.

No baffles in place of the flaps that were removed. In fact, the engines are built as if the existing flaps and thermostat were removed. The only difference is that the threaded stud on the bottom of the case isn't there, or tapped.

The inside of the Mexican shroud is virtually the same as a German shroud. After all, it is a German design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Hoover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Thermostat Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Late model Mexican cars did not have them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Two reasons for that:

Mexican-built 1600 engines for domestic use are de-rated to only 45hp through the use of dished pistons to reduce the compression ratio. This allows the engine to run on Pemex 'regular.'

The engines use a sophisticated multi-point fuel-injection system and computerized combustion controller. Temperature management is taken care of by the on-board computer, which alters the injector on-time.

If you buy a fully assembled 'export' engine and intend to run a carb, SOP is to tap the case to accept the stud for the thermostat bracket.

-Bob Hoover
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Anyone wanna dispute and argue against using thermostat now Very Happy

I thought so Very Happy
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
birddog1 wrote:
my answer..it depends
If you have the system on the car I would keep it on and maintained. If you don't have the system AND you live in a warmer climate i.e West Coast or Fla I wouldn't spend the money on buying a system or bother dropping the engine solely to put it on. It's benefit is during cold weather. I wouldn't bother with it unless you live in an area where it's frequently below freezing.

The above is a perfect example of why each one of you asking questions here should take the time to educate yourselves by reading the manuals .. The thermostat was on all the cars for a reason even cars destined for warm climates.. Perhaps second guessing the engineers that designed the product is a better way though???

Anyone telling you to run without the thermostat needs to be put on ignore Sad Would you remove the thermostat from your wifes new Buick if you lived in Florida??? I thought so. Very Happy

Jim-

If you don't know the difference between a Buick and an ACVW I can't help you but I've driven my cars without a thermostat hooked up for 35 years, I haven had a problem and I generally get close to 200K before I rebuild. So if there's a problem someone will need to prove it

As I said I wouldn't remove the system, my cars just never came with one ,but if you live in a warm climate I wouldn't worry about enough to spend money on it. You think the German's were going to build a different system based on where the car was delivered? It was designed to cover all climates.

Run Forrest Gump Run Question A wise man once said " If you don't laugh at least once a day you've not been listening" Thanks for the laugh my friend Very Happy
Jim-
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Reply with quote

Bob Hoover wrote:

Mexican-built 1600 engines for domestic use are de-rated to only 45hp through the use of dished pistons to reduce the compression ratio. This allows the engine to run on Pemex 'regular.'

The engines use a sophisticated multi-point fuel-injection system and computerized combustion controller. Temperature management is taken care of by the on-board computer, which alters the injector on-time.

It may come as a surprise to you, but the Mexican production engines that were fitted to the cars over the last 10 years of production actually had domed pistons to increase the CR. At 7.75:1, that's higher than any German 1600 came with. They do just fine with Pemex 87 octane. While the sticker on the underside of the engine lid says 44hp (as does the sales brochure), it is the same rating as the earlier (slower), lower CR, carburated engine. My assumption is that they didn't bother to change the label.
I can't say what pistons are used on the "export" long blocks. Perhaps they used dished pistons for use with a stock carb.

I wouldn't use the word "sophisticated" to describe the simple FI system used. After all, there's no mass air flow sensor whatsoever. It relies on a TPS, 2 temp sensors, a MAP sensor, and an O2 sensor. Ignition timing is also controled by the ECM.
There is no way for any FI system to make an engine run hotter or cooler. Emissions standards dictate proper stoicometric running, so there's no leeway in the A/F mixture. Just in case you wondered, Mexican emissions standards are the same as the US Federal standards (but without OBD2)

The reason there's no thermostat and flaps is because the majority of the cars operate in a tropical climate.
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
My assumption is that they didn't bother to change the label...

Seems like they didn't bother with alot of things on those mexican motors Wink . Probably more of a cost cutting factor to sell vehicles to Jose-six pack.

Those newer style Thermostats... They were never actually on a production car?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy in Mexico City has a 94 Beetle and has not messed with it. It still has the factory thermostat, and it is the same style as the German cars had. So at least up to 94 did not use that new style thermostat.

I don't know exactly when VW de Mexico eliminated the t'stat and flaps, but I do know it must be somewhere between 94 and 01.
DAW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once told me that the earliest Porsche 356's had manual (cable-operated) control thermostat. Even if it's not true, it is a possible approach. I never forgot to take the carb-heat off when flying my antique airplane; I think I could manage a manual thermostat.
DAW
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't use the word "sophisticated" to describe the simple FI system used. After all, there's no mass air flow sensor whatsoever. It relies on a TPS, 2 temp sensors, a MAP sensor, and an O2 sensor. Ignition timing is also controled by the ECM.
There is no way for any FI system to make an engine run hotter or cooler. Emissions standards dictate proper stoicometric running, so there's no leeway in the A/F mixture. Just in case you wondered, Mexican emissions standards are the same as the US Federal standards (but without OBD2)

Hmm, that sounds like a Type 3 FI system to me. Throttle position switch, air and head temp sensor, manifold air pressure sensor. Timing is controlled by the distributor, and they dont have an O2 sensor.

Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thermostat Reply with quote

68Bug-lite wrote:
Bruce wrote:
My assumption is that they didn't bother to change the label...

Seems like they didn't bother with alot of things on those mexican motors Wink . Probably more of a cost cutting factor to sell vehicles to Jose-six pack.

Those newer style Thermostats... They were never actually on a production car?

Those were the ones, that if they failed, they failed in the closed position.

jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that looks like maybe it could be adapted to replace the thermostat in a '71 oil bath air cleaner. Here's both.

jim
gobeatle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my cooling system back to original on my std. 73 and it looks like Mid-America is one of the few still selling new thermostats, which are on backorder. I hope the quality is good. I called Cip1 and they referred me to Samba. Does anyone other than Mid-Amer. sell new thermostats.
ampegboy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gobeatle,

eVWParts still have the original, bellows-type thermostat listed on their website.

The one Mid-America lists is the new, Mexican-style one which fails in the 'flaps closed' position.

Regards,

Michael
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: