Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NGK D6EA or NGK D7EA for 1915???
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: NGK D6EA or NGK D7EA for 1915??? Reply with quote

I just finishing my new engine and I have no clue what plugs I should use. From what I reading here some of you recommending NGK D6EA or D7EA. Which ones should I use? O maybe something else?
BTW when I checked the NGK catalogue those plugs are dedicated for motorbikes not for the cars Confused

1915 engine with this spec:
- Steve Tims Ported & Polished heads built on new 043 Mexican castings with 42x37 valvess,
- Engle W-120 camshaft
- 1.25 Ratio Rockers
- dual Weber IDF 44
- 009 Bosch distributor ( yes, I know ) with PERTRONIX
- silicon 8mm wires from CB
Westfalia James Cook 2.9TD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this it will be trial and error. If the plugs are to cold or hot next heat range. DP8EA works great in my 2110cc. Nice tan color.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73stroker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run the NGK B6ES, I think that was it, but went to the Bosch Super W7CC. If you have the 043 I think you'll need the 14mm, I don't think the D6 or D7 are 14mm, could be mistaken though.

The Bosch Super's seem pretty good as of right now. Haven't had any problems with them at all,
CB Perfs take on plugs Based on what CB reccommends, I should be running the W7AC, but I do a lot of highway driving and the W7CC seems to be fine.

my specs are

82 x 94
9.4:1 CR
DRD L6 42 x 37.5 043 cast
Dual 44 IDF's (upgraded this year to IDA's)
XR-302 Cam
1.4 rockers
Pertronix II billet dizzy
MSD 8.5mm wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your specs are identical to mine, minus the 009. I run NGK D6EA's. They are for motorcycles and ATV's, but they work.

I'd only use D7EA's for racing or for turbo use.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch plugs are hotter the higher the number, and NGK plugs are hotter the lower the number. In the big 14mm plugs, an 8 heat range Bosch is equal to a 5 heat range NGK. I'm not sure if this translates into the 12mm plugs though. From reading similar posts on other forums, the 6's, and 7's seem to be common in the 12mm plug's. Try them both, and see what performance you get.
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Try them both, and see what performance you get.

OK, thanks for the help. I just needed to start right from the begining. Later on, as suggested I will try something different.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You maybe missing the point of heat ranges on plugs. The one you will need depends on your driving style, hiway, city, or combo. The only way to see if they are correct is to take them out and look at them. Too cold a plug leaves shooty deposits on the center post. Too hot burns the center electrode. Any of the plugs mentioned would be fine for 'starters' but only by looking at them will you know if the heat range is right.
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is clear, I understend this.
The problem is my heads have a M14 hole and NGK D6EA and D7EA are M12 Confused
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH.. Embarassed ..the NGK in 12mm is for large valve heads. I say go with the tried and true Bosch W8AC, that comes in 14mm.
DRD RACING HEADS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: NGK D6EA or NGK D7EA for 1915??? Reply with quote

Use a NGK B7ES, they are 3/4 reach 14mm plugs.

We sell What Works!
HTTP://WWW.DRDRACINGHEADS.COM
Email [email protected]
Phone-714-545-4100
DRD Online Store
HTTP://WWW.DRDRACINGHEADS.COM/Xcart/
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first generations of big valve heads have the 14mm thread 3/4 reach plugs, and I think the Genuine VW (043?) big valve heads also use the 14mm thread 3/4 reach. I think CB started the 12mm plug, and the others followed. The factory Bosch plug for your average Type 1 1600 with stock heads is a W8AC. This has a 14mm thread with a 1/2 reach. This plug also has a shrouded electrode. The shop I work at has found that the W8BC, that has a protruded electrode, works a little better. The NGK equivilant of a Bosch W8AC is NGK B5HS. The equivilant of a W8BC is a NGK BP5HS. The factory Bosch plug for a late Bus engine that has a 3/4 reach thread is a W8CC. Like the W8AC, the W8CC has a shrouded electrode. The protruding electrode counter part is a W8DC. The W8DC has a 14mm 3/4 reach thread. The NGK equivilant of a Bosch W8CC is a NGK B5ES. The NGK equivilant of a W8DC is a NGK BP5ES.

SO;
Bosch W8AC 14mm 1/2 = NGK B5HS
Bosch W8BC 14mm 1/2 = NGK BP5HS
Bosch W8CC 14mm 3/4 = NGK B5ES
Bosch W8DC 14mm 3/4 = NGK BP5ES

This info was obtained from a site called (silly enough) www.sparkplugs.com. It was from their info section at www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp. On the left side of this page you must scroll down almost to the bottom and click on NGK under the sub-heading "Manufacturer's Numbering System". You can also compair the heat ranges of different manufacturers plugs off of the www.sparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp page if you scroll down part way to the sub-heading "Conversion Charts", and click on Heat Range Interchange (NGK-Denso-Champion-Bosch). I usually ran a W8DC Bosch plug in my older big valve heads that had the 14mm 3/4 reach plug. I tried a NGK BP5EP, which is a protruded electrode 14mm 3/4 reach Platinum plug, and so far I like them a little better.
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all
Very usfull info
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what gap would you guys recommend Question
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.025 for carb, .028 for fuel injection, .040 for CDI.
ozvalds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have same problem...quiet new for me...
Purchase 044 heads 40x35.5 with 12mm thread for plugs ( for coming upgrade) and try to find right ones to use... For now stay on NGK D7EA, will see how they works. Maybe exists better version for
- 90,5forged x 74
- H-beams
- W110 engle
- full Pertronix
- double DRLA 36
...your minds and reccomends ...???
Thank You!
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6EA. D7's are a bit too cold.
ozvalds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tnx !
Suppose, X22ES-U DENSO are same ...
To date mostly use DENSO - W16FS-U for stock, W20FS-U for little modificated engines... they have 0.7 - 0.8mm gap an works perfect with rated rocker arms and 100-110 ENGLE cams...87-88 barrels
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: