Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Seat Options
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has some advice for front seats. Mine are originals and pretty shot, but I'd rather upgrade to a more comfortable seat than restore them. Any suggestions/expererience?
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

Go to TheThingShop.com they have several seat options.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

I bought the horse hair pads from Thing Shop and had a local shop make new covers. The seats are better than stock and at least as comfortable as new. Very happy with the man's work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

I was actually looking more into the lines of a different type of seat: not stock. Anyone have any experience putting in different seats than the 67-69 Type 1 seats that are stock? (bucket, sports....)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

You can direct replace with bug 71-72 seats,
or you can get a wide variety of aftermarket seats, just check on the ride height, with a scat procar, you will add 4 inches of headroom and may not like the sinking feeling. I like SAAB seats because they bolt straight down and have the seat belt stuff included in the seat. But without a base biuld up, you will be sitting in a bucket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

My thing used to have front seats out of a superbeetle that worked very well (high backs are also safer than stock Thing seats). Since I'm going back to stock on this car, I rebuilt my original Thing seats using the Thing Shop's padding & covers. It took me and a friend most of one afternoon to disassemble the old seats, refinish & paint the metal frames & springs, and rebuild the seats. Their kit uses coconut/latex forms (which are supposed to last longer than the horsehair), sheepskin pads to go over the forms, heavy plastic to keep the springs from popping into the forms, new cardboard backing, and hog rings. The covers are exact stock reproductions, they install easily, and they look great. Final result are two excellent looking and very comfortable seats.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

Yup, me too! Saw some neat seats in perfect condition at local yard - need to measure ht. and width, than can bolt directly to pans as I don't plan on back seat passengers. Cost will be $50-60. for full recliners with side support too! Larry
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

dont get junkyard seats-just invest, (yes there sometimes expensive) IN SOME BEARD BAJA seats and they will be the last and most comfortable seat youll ever own. you can even buy direct bolt in mounts for them also. (i made mine)
California Kublewagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Front Seat Options Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help guys. I've just decided to reupholster the stock seats, as it's cheaper than buying aftermarket seats, and they are pretty comfortable.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: