Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Hubby's First Love--his 66 VW Bus. What to do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Mention nothing of OCTO. Don't wet his appitite that he's ever going to discover Mecca. Theft and utter disappointment would be the farthest pole from what actually is going to happen, work that. I recommend you contact the mechanic, and tell him to lead Hubby on, that he'll be looking at it, but actually won't be, as you'll be stalling the project prior to it's Blackstar "theft"... like Thursday. Definately try to work the "stolen" scenario. No leading him on to believe there's a Split Bus Mecca that we know as OCTO.

I dont know about that, obviously they do it on overhaulin who presumably have notified the local police that they are doing it, but he will be pretty upset if he thinks his bus is gone, He will be stoked enough anyway if it can be driven and it might be best to leave it at that?

I just had a thought, could we find out the original dealer of the bus? If its not on there already a nice license frame would be a cool finishing touch!
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPriscilla wrote:
I remove all the items/sitckers, etc. from the bus that give any indication it is his...

Sometimes the stickers and things are tied to memories and sentamental value. I would think twice about removing these if it will be irreversible. Just a thought.

Otherwise this whole thing is awesome.
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

der58SC wrote:
bill may wrote:
pyro and i will be at blackstar thursday or maybe wednesday like last year. should i bring coveralls and tools?

don't you guys always travel with tools and coveralls? I do.

I thought bill wore nothing BUT coveralls? Very Happy

I'm wary of the theft angle for reasons already mentioned. It plays out fine on TV, but a lot could go wrong. I like korie's plan and don't think he needs to go to that bad place when you feel your car, a split no less, has been stolen. You could cut out the planned OCTO appearance and stumble upon it. This would have a similar "build up" effect. At this stage he'd probably be pretty stoked to happen upon OCTO and start looking around. His fixed bus will just blow his mind.
I didn't want to jinx it but it has already been said so it should be planned for: what if there is an unfixable engine problem? Will someone have a nearby running engine that can be put in just in case?
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's another monkey wrench thrown into the gears... Rolling Eyes

Has anyone checked with VTO as to any of this "work" being allowed to be done at Blackstar? Confused

I mean, this should be cleared prior to showing up there with a bus in tow that may look like it's in obvious need of repair. It'd be quite disappointing to show up with all the parts needed and be told that it ain't gonna happen on the premises! Shocked

Small time emergency repairs could be okay but anything major, i.e. engine drop and such, may not be taken lightly. Be advised that when VTO scored on Blackstar the owners where absolutely delighted to have a major bus campout as they were previous bus owners themselves. However, the RV park is under new ownership which is very professional and don't even want their place to have the old name of Blackstar! Surprised

Anyone remember the full running gear swap at one of the OCTO meets in HB? The organizers where not happy at all with that and let it be known that it will not be allowed in the future. In any case, it is already "crunch time" to get any bus running by the OCTO/Classic weekend. IMHO this bus should already be having some kind of work done some place safe where allowed. At the very least by the end of this coming weekend it should be absolutely clear as to what it is exactly needed to make it road worthy. Too many things can come up "short" the day of or prior to the event. Sad
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fubab wrote:
Great study in manipulation, Anybody feel they are being played for a sap?

Sure every guy that is married or has a g/f..
57Drag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might need a longblock if the oil releif vave stuck?Just a thought?Great thread .Great wife to have.
vwcrazybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go with the reveal at OCTO and "see a bus that looks like his" just make sure to remove the front license plate, a sure giveaway if you don't. Wink
winmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOXED and SHIPPED!!!

Okay here are the parts I shipped out to you PDub.
3 quarts of Royal Purple gear oil 75/90
1 12 oz can of Valvoline brake fluid
about 8.5 feet of 5mm German braided fule line ( I thought I had 10feet.. Embarassed )
1 fuel filter
spark plug wire set (used with about 3-5k miles...German brand but not Bosch)
2 boxes of gloves (keep your hands clean)
1 can of brake cleaner

I am going to see if I can make it to OCTO...
What is the official date for OCTO?

Thanks
winmotors
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
rjonas wrote:

Who's going to film the reveal?

Please someone film it and put it on youtube for the rest of us that are far away to see too!

Yes, somebody PLEASE film this. I would love to see how it all goes down Exclamation Cool
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VTO-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap! How did this thread get so big without VTO finding out about it? Well Lets see, Ill get with Stan find out about working on the bus at BlackStar. I dont think it will be a big deal. Im sure our whole club will be willing to help. Can we get a measurement on the curtains Kristine (4-eyes) can probably sew a new set for it. What are the chances we can get it to BlackStar Wed. night? There should be a enough heavy hitters to get a good head start. Im thinking put caution tape around it and make an attraction of sorts out of it.P.S. Hey Pyro, you still need that smudgepot.
VTO-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just talked to Stan. For starters VTO will pay for the towing from Ventura to BlackStar. We'll give the bus a designated spot to be worked on. We're gonna need a list of people who donated parts and/or worked on the bus, we're gonna do something special for you guys. We're just starting to work on this. Soo Im sure we can do alot more. We'll get working on it.
winmotors
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is so awesome that this is the only thread I have looked at in the last week.....

PDub... let me know when you receive the parts.
EL DUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTO-1 wrote:
Ok, just talked to Stan. For starters VTO will pay for the towing from Ventura to BlackStar. We'll give the bus a designated spot to be worked on. We're gonna need a list of people who donated parts and/or worked on the bus, we're gonna do something special for you guys. We're just starting to work on this. Soo Im sure we can do alot more. We'll get working on it.

Thanks guys for the clearance

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
its gonna happen

SO I say classic not OCtO just to be sure

Eric and Laura's DUB "EL DUB"

1964 Deluxe Bus
1959 Single cab
1963 Double Cab{coming soon}

SBS #77 Cuarenta Seis Para Vida

*****WTB Circle Motors Long Beach,Ca Plate frame.******
Steve. H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, good for you guys.
S
vtobusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Johnny said for the towing will the wife of the owner of the bus contact me via PM and get me your contact info and a good time to call you and we will work out the details of the tow... If needed... With all of the parts donated so far what else is needed??

ANd VTO-1 forgot that we will also comp the owners of the bus......

The BlackStar Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3022433#3022433
BlackStar 2016
Now at
Prado Regional Park
16700 Euclid Avenue
Chino, CA 91710-9298
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EL DUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She already has the towing worked out unless something changed I missed.

Logistics of getting it down there are done, permission has been granted.
Just a matter of getting it done when its there

1964 Deluxe Bus
1959 Single cab

VTO-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, Can we get it down there on wed.?
EL DUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know her brother is bringing it down

so i am sure she will chime in soon and mention if that is acceptable

1964 Deluxe Bus
1959 Single cab

bushaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL DUB wrote:
i know her brother is bringing it down

so i am sure she will chime in soon and mention if that is acceptable

I would go with the VTO professional towing if possible...it would suck to have this go down the drain (or damage the bus) due to someone inexperienced doing the tow.....

And skip the STOLEN BUS part.. been done, raises suspicions, and could go bad really quickly...

I can shoot video of the reveal at OCTO or Classic, but prob. wont make it to blackstar. If someone can do video or take digital still pics down there, i can edit it together and put it on Youtube.

A firm time for the reveal should be set up at some point as we get closer to the big weekend so we're all on the same page....

hitest wrote:
Even if completed, the abarth's gonna belch spluey all over your Eriba.
KPriscilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually at a loss for words. I mean just when I think it can't get any better, it does. Smile

I have to tell you, I've really become obsessed with the forum. I wait with bated breath until my son and husband go to bed so I can sneak on....It's my new addiction.

I'm so thrilled that things look like they were cleared with Blackstar (thanks Pyro for thinking of that and VTO for talking to the peeps over there). It also looks like the bus needs to be down there on Wed. My brother-in-law works out of town Mon.-Thurs. and he's really the only non-professional I would trust to tow it down for me. Let me see what I can get figured...

Quick question: VTO and VTObusman offered to get a professional to tow it (THANK YOU). If we go that route do I need someone from my family to ride down with the bus and deliver it to Bill May or whoever will be down there early? Just wondering how to work the pass off? It feels a little scary to hand off the bus to a tow truck driver and hope it gets from point A to point B. Any thoughts/feedback?

I sure hope I can pull this off, too! As you can tell from my detailed and elaborate plan, I've been obsessing about how to pull it off non-stop! I know some of you think I shouldn't mention OCTO at all, but I just don't know how else I will get him down there without raising suspicion. I totally agree keeping OCTO under wraps would be ideal but he would never, ever suspect that I would tow his bus down to Orange County. I'm much too much the practical wife to do that! Haha Anyway, keep the ideas coming...

PS: noted on removing the possibly sentimental stickers.

PSS: What's the difference between OCTO and Classic? Which one am I bringing him too and what day is it? Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks everyone!!!!
Korie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 39

Jump to: