Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stove front removal on 82 Westy.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Stove front removal on 82 Westy. Reply with quote

Hi guys!

So here's the deal, the stove front of my stove is all rusty with a fair bit of missing paint so I want to take it off, give it a good sanding and repaint it.

It doesn't seem to want to come off though, I removed the 3 small screws from the bottom edge and the bottom edge is sort of willing to swing out and away from the cabinets, and it seems like once the bottom edge is far enough out the piece should just lift up and off the front edge of the stainless stove/sink, but that approach doesn't seem to be working for me.

So how does the stove front come off?
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the next step is to remove the knobs for the stove burners, then remove the retaining nuts behind them for that plate. after that, you're on your own, i can't get mine off after that. good luck
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavanagon wrote:
the next step is to remove the knobs for the stove burners, then remove the retaining nuts behind them for that plate. after that, you're on your own, i can't get mine off after that. good luck

I've got the knobs off and the retaining nuts off too, still not willing to come free...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only taken them off of 2 different '88's so this may not work on the 82. There are also 2 screws on each side of the cabinet that need to come out. The stainless top and front section are seamed together. Now I just did this 3 weeks ago but I cant remeber if you push down or up on the faceplate, I'm pretty sure its downward though.

Some persuasion is usually required and if its crusty it will fight you all the way. not sure on earlier browns but the later gray is more like a thick coating than a paint. it WILL chip off easy. So for anyone taking there off for the heck of it be careful. And that stuff is a bitch to remove for paintwork, it does not smooth out when sanding I would say sandblasting would be the quickest route. I used a paint stripper and it took a few times as its such a thick mill. I rember kicking myself for not diggint the samdblast cabinet out of the corner of the garage after the 3rd shot of stripper Sad

heres a shot of part of mine with temporary paint on it. I have afew moore electrical goodies to install then I will be off to the auto paint supplier with the best looking piece of OG metal in the cabin to match up some good single stage so I can redo the all the faded out parts!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
There are also 2 screws on each side of the cabinet that need to come out.

I found those after my last post, those were the ones.

Mine is an older brown one, its THICK "paint" too, seems like powder coating actually, course wire wheel on the grinder took it off eventually, some sanding to remove rust pitting and it now has its first coat of primer on it.

I'm going to paint it semi gloss black so the prep doesn't need to be perfect, and it will come out again in the future for more electrical switches, maybe sand blast it then.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some nice looking switches you have, nice paint too, are the cabinets actual white?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Those are some nice looking switches you have, nice paint too, are the cabinets actual white?

they are gray, the paint (or possibly powder coating) is supposed to pretty much match the rubber trim but fades/chalks severly in the late model westies. I have noticed that the earlier browns dont seem to do it as much.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not powder coated it's just old paint.
My 81 had rust spots on it and I took off the old stuff with zip strip.
Corn1849
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have afew moore electrical goodies to install then I will be off to the auto paint supplier with the best looking piece of OG metal in the cabin to match up some good single stage so I can redo the all the faded out parts!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Markus:
Could you explain what the switches for? They look quite at home.Smile
Cheers
Marco
Way before then: '64 Bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: