Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro. Split and Oval w/ w vert decklids and hella fans
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mixedup59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Repro. Split and Oval w/ w vert decklids and hella fans Reply with quote

Got the new issue of Hot VWs and saw this ad.
www.ksreproduction.com/vw.asp

Not a bad price....I wonder how they will fit???
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was discussed previously in this thread.

Please use that thread for further discussion.....thanks

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......hmm, actually re-reading that thread again, it looks like the KSR product was not discussed there (although I know it was discussed in this forum before).

Carry on..... Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of buying one and keeping my original one on my wall, but, because of the velocity stacks on my engine I'm not sure if it will fit. They do look pretty good. Would like to see a comparison pic though.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the person behind these lids. If enough people express interest, Ican try to convince him to make the vert lids without the rain trays. He asked why people would want that, and I said so the IDAs would fit better. These reproductions are based on originals, and will fit just as well.

Central Jersey VW Society
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they look really nice in the pictures.

I would much rather run a repro if it looks good then risk a valuable original.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
......hmm, actually re-reading that thread again, it looks like the KSR product was not discussed there (although I know it was discussed in this forum before).

Carry on..... Wink

I was referring to KSR way back in that thread but intentionally left off who it was. Several figured it out but its KSR's decision when they want to make themselves and the details known. This is a different thread altogether, the fit/function/quality details would be interesting to understand now that these are out.
G
mixedup59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called them today, and was told that the later lids will be the first to be sold, available in July. The early popes nose versions will be available hopefully soon after, but no definete time frame.

On a side note. I had asked if he was interested in reproducing correct oval front fenders. He said, "nobody wants those, they already make them in Mexico and Brazil".

Rolling Eyes
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always remove the rain gutters. Like the originals they are spot welded in.

-jeffrey
ultrarareparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alot of effort and foresight is being used on this decklid project. I have been involved with the fitment of the prototypes on cars and the fit is excellent. The arch, curve and gap along the louvers are perfect. Hinges and internals are spot on. Even the weight of the lids feel right. The wait will be worth it. Get your orders in early because the inquiries for these is high.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you saw Raul's car in last months issue of Ultra VW, you'll know that he's into the details. So he should know.

If anyone is interested, PM me with your e-mail and what version you want [50-52, 53-55. 56-57 sedan of convertible] and I'll put you on the list. When they are available I'll let you all know.

-jeffrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to know what prompted a company who has been doing Mustang metal parts for a long time to suddenly branch out and do W decklids???

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They guy who owns the company started in the VW parts business in the 70's. He's has always been doing some VW stuff. He's been making parts for WCM for years. In the last couple of years he's got back into the VW scene. He's a member of our club and has a very nice collection of cars. A '50 split, two '57's and a '67 vert that he recently did a top notch restoration on. He's owned the car for almost 30 years. So he has a long history with these cars. IF the decklids do well, maybe he'll look into other parts. THe tooling is a pretty big investment, he's gone out on a limb to do this. Hopefully it pays off.

Another cool little item he's repoping are those little chrome Hella suction fans. I've see them side by side with an original and you can't tell the differene. They will be available this week. They are selling for $90. Let me know if you are interested.

-jeffrey
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pm sent Cool
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good thing he made them so they can be distinguished from the real McCoy. Thanks! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mixedup59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the rarity of early cars and barndoors, it'll
probably just be a matter of time until someone starts doing full repop steel bodies like the hot rod guys are starting to do.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should consider making '55 and earlier floorpans and heater channels. From a business perspective, those have probably highest demand....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
He should consider making '55 and earlier floorpans and heater channels. From a business perspective, those have probably highest demand....

I agree 100%
mixedup59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see the front side kick panel pieces for convertibles.
Also agree on the heater channels and floors for 55' and earlier.

If only I won the lottery Smile
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich's 50 wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

I agree 100%

Would be nice, but doubt the numbers/demand aren't anywhere there either to justify the large up front tool costs even with their Asian suppliers, would require sizable press tooling and the process would have to be mostly automated to ensure repeatable quality, which are expensive tasks, and then there would be fairly big minimum quantity purchases. Shipping alone even in bulk from Asia is complicated and really expensive for parts of this awkward size.

I never believed as mentioned awhile back that the numbers justified making the repro vert W decklids either, nice achievement and such but always saw it as way too chancy even if it was a calculated risk, but probably/hopefully the popularity of those doing resto-custom and custom projects will drive sales, as there is no way the stock kabriolett market is that big to justify that big tooling either, not unless the price was 3x what it now is and thats still a big maybe. I guess if one has deep pockets and the means to use such a project as a write-off why not, but seems to me that if one is going to go through the trouble of offshoring Asian parts in quantity they ought to sell in big quantity.

In a year or so my hunch is these decklids will be selling for alot less to maybe help pay off the tooling, just based on supply and demand. I wish the best but just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should do it either. I do hope it pays off but suredly its buyers who actually need them that will make out on these.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: