Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OG Brake Shoes?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: OG Brake Shoes? Reply with quote

Just pulled the front shoes off my '61. The vehicle has 95,000 miles on it and the lining was down to the metal (in some places) on both shoes. My bus was/is sealing wax red from the factory and I noticed that the shoes matched the exterior paint. Could these be original shoes? If so, they certainly lasted awhile.
P-Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have been re-riveted.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thought, but I checked the painted surface and the rivets still have paint matching the rest of the paint on the back side of the shoes. Too bad no one rivets brake shoes anymore; I'll feel bad about tossing the originals (though they'll more likely than not wind up under my house with all the other old useless stuff I hate to part with).
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why and how would they have gotten oversprayed? Rivets have come back and in some places they won't do bonding anymore. They could have been original. I've seen several minimal breaking people go that far depending on the vehicle.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt those are original. Maybe the previous owner repainted them when he repainted your bus. Our local brake place has no problem riveting shoes.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't imagine that anyone would have taken the time to do a good paint job on brake shoes, although I suppose it's possible they were changing the brakes when it was painted, BUT I know it was painted for the first time less than 10,000 miles ago and those shoes are way too worn. Then again, it's also hard to imagine the factory bothering to paint the shoes the same color as the body. The mystery continues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: