Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wont shift with empi shifter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: wont shift with empi shifter Reply with quote

I just converted a '69 autostick to a man and when I put the new empi shifter in I cant get 1st and 3rd.
I put the old autostick shifter but swaped the new empi plate for the old autostick plate and now I can get all the gears.
The hockey stick in the car has a slit for a pin and the original shifter has a pin on the ball but the empi doesnt, do I need a new hockey stick? Or can I drill the ball on the empi and put a pin in?
Any help is apreciated.

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: wont shift with empi shifter Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
I just converted a '69 autostick to a man and when I put the new empi shifter in I cant get 1st and 3rd.
I put the old autostick shifter but swaped the new empi plate for the old autostick plate and now I can get all the gears.
The hockey stick in the car has a slit for a pin and the original shifter has a pin on the ball but the empi doesnt, do I need a new hockey stick? Or can I drill the ball on the empi and put a pin in?
Any help is apreciated.

slide the empi shifter towards the rear of the car (adjustment) and see if that works.

the slit is to keep the shifter from spinning. somewhat important on an early car as the shifter was bent. somewhat important on an autostick since there is a wire running up the side of the shift lever. but it makes no difference to an empi shifter as it does not spin due to the design and construction.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a FYI,, the hockey stick is inside the trans,, what your talking about is the shift rod,, to refine that it's the ball socket

Your using the lock out plate ??? Bet it's a bitch bolting the shift er down .. you don't use the lock out plate with a quick shift..
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the shift rod, tried moving it back, forward still only reverse 2nd and 4th. Only way I could get all 4 gears was with old shifter. The plate I used was a flat one that came with the empi, the original was weird looking. Will try to get some pics tonite.
Thanks for the help so far!

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
Ok, the shift rod, tried moving it back, forward still only reverse 2nd and 4th. Only way I could get all 4 gears was with old shifter. The plate I used was a flat one that came with the empi, the original was weird looking. Will try to get some pics tonite.
Thanks for the help so far!

How good is the bushing at the front and the coupler bushings at the tranny connection point?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a new urathane shift coupler in it, there is a little play in the pin itself, may put the original pin back in. There is a bushing on the shift rod itself ithink that may need replaced, it is split and just hanking on the shift rod back by the shift coupling.

dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if this is applicable to your problem but my Bugpack shifter came with a tiny tiny set of instructions that said something about grinding the little tip of a little dowel thing at the bottom of the shifter in certain cases. I didnt need to do and threw away so i cant tell you any more.
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok replaced the shift rod bushing, still cant get it right and it doesnt lock out of reverse, what am I doing wrong?!?

birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drilled a new hole/divot in the hockey stick, seams to work. Think my shift rod was to short after conversion.

ramblinrose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do the modifications on the shift rod when you converted it from auto to manual? It's been a long long time since ex-hubby did this but if I remember right something had to be welded on.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
Drilled a new hole/divot in the hockey stick, seams to work. Think my shift rod was to short after conversion.

ramblinrose wrote:
Did you do the modifications on the shift rod when you converted it from auto to manual? It's been a long long time since ex-hubby did this but if I remember right something had to be welded on.

I helped a friend convert his '71 Ghia from auto to manual and I had to weld a piece on to his coupler to make up the 1" or so.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never thought of that, it would probobly be better.

johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the shift rod is different in an auto stick vs. the manual. That's probably why that coupler had a piece welded on. If you have a boneyard nearby, see if you can get a shift rod and change yours out.

John

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johneliot wrote:
I believe the shift rod is different in an auto stick vs. the manual. That's probably why that coupler had a piece welded on. If you have a boneyard nearby, see if you can get a shift rod and change yours out.

John

That's what we thought. We changed the shift rod with a new one from CIP and it was way too short.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: