Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I have to put the engine cover back on?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Do I have to put the engine cover back on? Reply with quote

Well, I just started working on the engine in my 72 camper. It has been rebuilt but I thought I would give it a compression check, and start checking things out. So, I started by taking off the cover that goes over the head. Not the valve cover, but the piece of metal that covers pretty much the whole engine. What a pain in the ass. I was wondering, how bad will it be if I didnt put this back on? I know that I will have holes in the engine compartment, but I will cover those up. I just want to leave the valve cover exposed so that when I go to adjust the valves, change plugs, and whatever else I have to do, it will be easier. Will not putting this cover back on damage the engine in any way? Thank you all very much.
matt
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Do I have to put the engine cover back on? Reply with quote

I am assuming you are talking about the topside cooling tin, not the access cover (the cover under the bed in a westy.) Those VW engineers weren't idiots- ALL of the tin has a purpose, as well as all of the rubber seals, so to make a short story long, YES, you need to put it all back together. A westy is one heavy ass vehicle, and the engine really has to sweat to make it move. it needs all the cooling air it can get, and all those pieces of sheet metal do the job of directing that cooling air where it is needed. you wouldn't run a small block chevy without a radiator, because it makes it hard to adjust the fan belt would you? this is the same thing. besides, once you adjust your valves, change your plugs, etc., you should be good to go for a few thousand miles.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Do I have to put the engine cover back on? Reply with quote

I think you're talking about the engine tin that surrounds the engine? The parts that allow you to completely seal the engine bay from the outside. If that's correct, then yes those pieces are important for the engine cooling to work properly, and they need to be installed if you're driving your van, otherwise you could overheat yur engine. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Do I have to put the engine cover back on? Reply with quote

ok so there important, thats fine. Is there any easier way to get them off and on then removing the carb and distributor? Thanks
matt
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Do I have to put the engine cover back on? Reply with quote

I not sure exactly how you are adjusting your valves but it is done from under the engine, not from the top. The 72 doesnt have the upper engine hatch on the inside so I can imagine how hard it was to get the tin off. To adjust the valves there are just two pieces of tin to remove. Very simple and only about four or five screws to undo per side. As for working on the plugs and carbs that is the joy of having a 72 without the upper engine hatch. As stated above the tin is extremely important to leave in place while the engine is running as is having a properly adjusted thermostat. You want all the holes inside the engine bay sealed to keep carbon monoxide out of the heat system also.

Have fun
Jasan
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Do I have to put the engine cover back on? Reply with quote

There is no tin to remove on a 72 to get at the valves, unless I am missing mine.

Jeffro
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: