Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 superbeetele engine questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts Bug Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: 1978 superbeetele engine questions Reply with quote

I have alow mileage stock 78 vert superbeetle with fuel injection (NOT CA version). I have three questions:

Q1. What parts are needed to convert to a carburetor? A complete list would be helpful.

Q2. Down the line the engine will be rebuilt and will definetley be carbureted - can I keep and use/rebuild the fuel injected:
--heads,
--heater boxes,
--muffler

Q3. If rebuilding, and I a little more power (just a little) waht is recommended?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevin11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis is just my opinion... since it is a low milage moter,I'd keep it fuel injected. Check and change out the injector seals and make sure all the rubber and lines are fresh and not hardened. Change out the filters,from the tank to the crank.
as far as parts for the carb conv.- carb,dp intake and ends.Removing t e fi wiring harness..etc.. Also, get a elect. fuel pump.And maybe throttle cable.
The FI heads have smaller valves ,they will work ,but at a 1-3 horsepower loss when carbed.
heater boxes and muffler should be the same.
You want a little more power,then build it to a 1641 with regular dp heads that are ported . It will be a waste leaving fi heads on a 1641. Unless you keep the FI and not go carbed. Or,punch out the case and build a 1776.That aj case is one bad mofo !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: