Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

trans swap question- for 59 single cab
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boscoitalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

ok, so i dig my cab, but i dont like topping out at 55 on the freeway. I got the OG trans and engine, which means : split trans with small nut and reduction gears.
I am looking for swap options/opinions....
should I A:
go for the bug trans and adjust my springplates -so no reduction gears... the motor will eventually be swapped for a 1600 but not yet.. So this means high revvin' so it stays cool.. Right?
Option B:
go for a, lets's say 66 bus big nut trans ans keep the reducers...
or C: the big nutter trans with the bus boys reduction box eliminators>
Options!!
any one done this? what about price? Remember, I am going to eventually go 1600 but for now i got the stock engine (59 single cab)
thanks for any opinons/insights/options
Bosco
ODCUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

OK I'LL BITE. WHAT IS YOUR GOAL? I AM UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE DOWN THE HIGHWAY WITHOUT KILLING YOUR ENGINE. LETS ADDRESS EACH OF THE OPTIONS YOU LISTED. OPTION A: YES GO TO EITHER A 67 OR 68 TYPE 1 TRANS( OR TYPE 3 PRE 69) USE THE BUSBOY STRAIGHT AXLE SWAP KIT AND BE DONE. NO EVEN WITH THE STOCK ENGINE YOU WONT HAVE TO REV IT ANY HIGHER THAN USUAL TO COOL IT. THE TRANS HAS NO BEARING ON HOW YOUR ENGINE COOLS. THE KIT RUNS ABOUT 150.00 PLUS CORE FEES.
OPTION B: 66 IS NOT THE ONLY YEAR OF THE BIG NUT AND THE DIFFERENCE EXPERIENCED BY THIS SWAP WOULD BE MINIMAL AT BEST.
OPTION C: THE PROBLEM WITH USING A BUS TRANS IS THAT THE RING GEAR SPINS OPPOSITE OF A BEETLE SO EFFECTIVELY IF YOU USE THIS TRANS WITHOUT THE REDUCTION BOXES YOU WILL HAVE 4 SPEEDS OF REVERSE AND ONE FOWARD GEAR. YES THIS IS COOL FOR DOING A "ROCKFORD" IN YOUR BUS BUT NOT VERY PRACTICAL. ANOTHER OPTION YOU MAY HAVE OVERLOOKED IS TO GO TO IRS. THIS WAY YOU CAN USE EITHER LATE MODEL TYPE 2 OR TYPE 1 OR 3. THESE TRANSMISSIONS WERE DESIGNED TO GO AT HIGHER SPEEDS OVERALL MAKING THEM MORE REALISTIC FOR FREEWAY DRIVING. ONE LAST THING, KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU DO ELIMINATE REDUCTIONS AND GO WITH THE STRAIGHT AXLE KIT IT LOWERS YOUR BUS APROX. 3 INCHES.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
camerod
Volksfab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

OD is on the right track, but I would say if you are planning on keeping your bus stock height, go with a reduction box tranny, a "big nut" from a passenger bus will have a 4:12 r&p and that gets you around 65mph on the freeway.commercial busses like panels and trucks will usually have the shorter 4:37 R&P ..depending on your rear tire size plus a 1600 will push it. in my "stock" '56 single cab, I am running a custom built "big nut" tranny with a 3:88 R&P
stock bus 1st and 2nd and super beetle 3rd and 4th gears. aprox. 27" tall tires.

this gives me about 70-75mph on the freeway but lugs a bit with a 1600cc engine

disclaimer: I am pulling these #'s out of my memory so double check before you get carried away!
EW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

If you have a split case trans you will have to get an adapter from Wolfgang International http://www.wolfgangint.com
for ($30). To fit in the later style transaxle. I did this on my bus and it wasn't too difficult. The bad part is that it makes it into a solid mount. I tried to avoid this by cutting up an old tire and making my own rubber mount between the new adapter. You also need to make some spacers for the main bolts that hold the transaxle to the frame horns to get everything to line up correctly (only if you make the rubber spacer). If that was confusing I sent in some pictures to bigbulli.com If you look in the your busses section under Erik's Bus. I still haven't got the bus on the road so I am not sure how well all my efforts will pay off. i just heard some horror stories of guys solid mounting there trans and rattling there teeth out. hope that helps. Erik
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

Damn camerod, that thing must be able to fly with both a 3:88 and a super beetle 3rd and 4th. I'd suggest only switching to a 3:88 and leaving the gears alone. That's what my bus is currently running, and it does alright. Can cruise at 75 on the highway with no problems.

Andrew
'60 European Beetle
'67 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2muchbusbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

I have a 3.88 r/p 1.22 3rd and a 77 4th in my 1960 DD panel. Cruise at 75 at 3800 rpm,s with 185/14 8 ply tires. 4.12 with a 82 4th in my 63 Westy, cruise at 65 mph at 3800 rpms
195/14 tires. Have a bone stock in my 60 15 window, engine winging it at 55 mph with 205/75/15 tires. I have a 3.44 r/p 1.32 third and a 89 4th that is going in my new Aussie cargo van. Note I do have bigger engines in all my buses, it takes an 1800 stroker to push the 77 4th gear, my 1776 wouldn't do it good uphills. I am building a 1904 stroker for the cargo van. Engine size, tires and gearing all go together to do it right
2muchbusbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, build your own front trans bracket, wolfgang and bus boys suck, I always make my own to use a stock rubber trans mount
ODCUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

AMEN TO THAT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

2muchbusbs:

Any details on that hombuilt tranny bracket?
Mine has the aftermarket one and I don't like surprises.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

Yeah,
I wish I had heard about making your own bracket before I got the one from Wolfgang International. I think I rubber mounted pretty well, so I am hoping it works fine, but I would like to see how to make a mount. It seems like it would not be that easy because the original mount is in the way of using the thick, later rubber mount. I guess you could cut out the original mount and weld in a later mount but I was trying to make it so someone could go back if they wanted to. The only other idea I had when I was doing it was to get a nose piece off the earlier style tranny and make it work on the later trans??? It would be nice to hear how someone did it and used the stock rubber mount.
boscoitalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

All very good info!
Yes I want to drive the truck w/o killing the motor, plus be able to go about 65-70 mph.
it seems that the big nut trans may be my best option right now. I would like to use a 66 one because i still am running 6v and it would be an easier swap. Correct?
How difficult is it to put in a 68 or later transaxle in? is it a matter of mounting brackets? What would it take to use my motor?
Should i just bite it and get the 1600 the same time and swap it all at once?
Thanks for the help
EW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

I think they changed to IRS in 1968 and it is not an easy (maybe not even possible swap, without major cutting and welding). I would still like to hear from the guy who said he made the mounting bracket for the changover from a split case trans to the later style, using stock mounts.
deluxebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

Does anyone have a pattern for the homemade bracket to accept the stock rubber mount. I was going to get the wolfgang mount to put in my 57 panel but I don't want the noise from a solid mount. I want to swap tranny's this or next week. Any help would be great an how to make it. Thank's
Bryan
ODCUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

YOU GUYS KNOW YOU CAN INTERCHANGE NOSE CONES RIGHT? YES 68 IS IRS BUT IT CAN BE SWAPPED WITH SOME FAB WORK. I JUST FINISHED CONVERTING MY 63 CREW TO ALL BUS IRS. I WENT WITH A 4 RIB CASE BECAUSE THE NEWER TRANS ARE TOO HIGH GEARED AND MY 2.0 LITRE WILL BE LUGGED DOWN. THE 4 RIB HOWEVER WILL LET ME CRUISE THE HIGHWAY AT 80+ ALL DAY LONG. AS FOR SWAPPING TO A 1600, IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH FREEWAY TIME YOU SPEND IN YOUR BUS. FOR AROUND TOWN A STOCKER WITH A GOOD RATIO TRANS IS GREAT. EVEN FOR SOME FREEWAY BUT YOU MAY RUN IN TO COOLING PROBS IF YOU RUN AT HIGH SPEED FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.
deluxebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

Are you saying a nose cone off a split case tranny will fit an non split case?
stillworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

deluxebus, if you dont mind doing A little cutting and welding then just cut one off A bug. Grind to fit. I can send you pics. if you want.
camerod
Volksfab

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

thats what I did, cut a mount off a 60's beetle(remember the exact year so you can buy the right rubber mount as there are a few different p/n's over the years) you need to
cut the stock split case mount off of the torsion housing as well. heres the play by play:
1. cut a beetle mount from a 60's bug
tip: measure the face of the beetle mount distance to the center of the rear tranny mounting holes befor you cut.
2. buy the correct rubber mount
3. bolt the 3 pieces together, beetle steel mount-to-beetle rubber mount(you can use a 60-67 bus rubber mount as well, but the beetle units have a "safety" nub that helps with smoother shifting and less trans. movement, you may however need to grind the nub down a bit to clear the fatter torsion housing of a bus)-to- '60-'67 bus
nosecone w/hockey stick
4.try to position the assembly in place using the shift coupler(make sure the shift rod is centered on its tube) this is where you will see how the beetle mount needs to be ground down to fit.
tip:this is where you should doube check your tranny measurement that you took from the beetle to insure that everything will line up and bolt together smoothly!
6. now that you are sure it is fit and lined up proper, weld it in place!
7. you should have everything figgured out by this point..
one more tip: when re-installing your nose cone to the tranny, be sure it is in NUTRUAL!
or it will be stuck it whatever gear you left it!
ODCUSTOMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: trans swap question- for 59 single cab Reply with quote

NO, I WASNT SAYING THAT YOU CAN USE A SPLIT CASE TRANS NOSECONE ON A LATER TRANS. I DIDNT WANT TO GO INTO IT AND IT APPEARS THAT CAMEROD SAVED ME THE EFFORT OF DOING SO.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: