Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

empi shifter / Bugpack
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheelsmc4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: empi shifter / Bugpack Reply with quote

Whats the skinny on aftermarket shifters
are buckpack garbage and what about empi
do these shifters do anything besides improve the stock look
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: empi shifter / Bugpack Reply with quote

wheelsmc4 wrote:

EMPI is Chinese for SHIT.

Yeah, they'll give you a lot of practice on changing/repairing shifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Mistake Passes Inspection. You have to spend a little money to get a decent shifter. Aftermarkets shorten the throws in addition to looks.

General consensus is the Berg is best (pricey). A genuine Hurst (no longer in production, eBay or classifieds) and the Scat are a couple of other choices. Aircooled.net is advertising a new shifter too. I haven't heard read any reviews on it but John doesn't sell junk.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=CFS0017&cartid=0612200885302074

I have a Scat in my car but have been unable to stop it from grinding second. I will probably go back to stock with a short shift kit.
thomrobson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

x2
I have an EMPI shifter and it took a good bit of grinding and a great deal of sweat and cursing to get it to work right. Plus it rattles with the little bit of vibration from the tranny. Spend the money if you can afford a Berg shifter.
Bugorsh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSP also makes a shifter. I have not used one, however their other products are really good so I would think their shifters are too. Berg shifters are great, I just wish they made the tee handles more comfortable to use.
Topline Parts
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was searching this topic a couple weeks ago I couldn't find much on the CSP shifter. Those that have them seem to like them though.

I like the look of the Flat 4 shifter, but the later reviews haven't been as good as the early ones. Anyone using one?
snowymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bugpack shifter in for a few years with no problems. I had a shop install it, so I don't know if any modification was required.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have berg in my bug and it is certainly da kind . i put a bugpack in my ghia and it still needs some work to get it adjusted right but i think i can get there. any way it is better than stock
scale 1 to 10 the berg gets a 10, bugpack a 5 plus and the stock would be about a strong 3.... other words i would say it is an improvement
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:

scale 1 to 10 the berg gets a 10, bugpack a 5 plus and the stock would be about a strong 3.... other words i would say it is an improvement

Is that a completely stock shifter? Sounds like a stocker with a $5 short shift kit would beat the Bugpack in everything except looks. There is a lot less effort getting a stock shifter to line up properly compared to most of the cheaper aftermarkets.

Remember, you get what you pay for. There is a reason these shifters are under $50...
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: empi shifter / Bugpack Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
wheelsmc4 wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Berg baby, Berg
notsofastEddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm lucky. I spent $54 for the trigger Empi, I'm not a big fan of the T-handle. Dropped it in in about 5 minutes, no problems at all. Love the way the big ball feels Shocked Don't read anymore into that than it says! Very Happy Nice crisp short shifts, which is why I bought it.
Mokkan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002sportside wrote:
Aircooled.net is advertising a new shifter too. I haven't heard read any reviews on it but John doesn't sell junk.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=CFS0017&cartid=0612200885302074

Interesting! I bought a Scat shifter from ACN, but I never installed it, because I didn't really like it when it arrived. But that new one you linked there looks pretty shiny. I think I'll check it out, thanks for posting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokkan wrote:
2002sportside wrote:
Aircooled.net is advertising a new shifter too. I haven't heard read any reviews on it but John doesn't sell junk.

Interesting! I bought a Scat shifter from ACN, but I never installed it, because I didn't really like it when it arrived. But that new one you linked there looks pretty shiny. I think I'll check it out, thanks for posting!

funy i dint know ACN sells Scat shifters...i think they dint sell them last time
wheelsmc4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stay with the stock one for now thanks for all the info and keeping me from wasting $$$$$
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002sportside wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:

Is that a completely stock shifter? Sounds like a stocker with a $5 short shift kit would beat the Bugpack in everything except looks. There is a lot less effort getting a stock shifter to line up properly compared to most of the cheaper aftermarkets.

Remember, you get what you pay for. There is a reason these shifters are under $50...

a short shift kit does improve the stock to maybe a 4 Wink but looks, feel and shifting are slightly improved with the bug pack IMO. for a regularly driven vw i say save up for the berG. as far as improvements to spend money on this would be at the top of the list cause think about it.... shifting is one of the most used functions in the driving experience.
blankc72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CSP T handle shifter in my Bug and love it. It gives a nice solid, crisp gear change. The shifter was expensive but is well made.
2002sportside
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:
Mokkan wrote:
2002sportside wrote:

funy i dint know ACN sells Scat shifters...i think they dint sell them last time

From John's tech article dated Dec '05...

"Custom Shifter: 20 minutes. Be very careful when choosing a custom shifter - most are junk! Plan on spending $100 for a good one; Currently, the only shifters we recommend besides the stock shifter (with or without a quick shift) are the Scat Shifters (which we carry) and the Gene Berg shifters (these you can get one at Geneberg.com). The ORIGINAL Hurst shifters are also excellent, but they haven't been made in over 20 years, so used is the way to find these (swapmeets and Ebay)."

So they have sold them since at least then. They still list them on their site. But I have been reading of some problems with the Scat lately... I didn't have much luck with the one I have now either...
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Empi Trigger Shifter Reply with quote

I currently run a genuine Hurst trigger shifter in my '71 Super Beetle and love the way it operates... tight and smooth. I have, however, used the much hated Empi trigger shifters in the past including one in the very same '71 Super. I have to say that I'm not a hater! I really liked the operation of the Empi's and the only reason I switched to a genuine Hurst is because I got it given to me. Overall they operate the same and have never had difficulty with breakage. That being said... I drive my Bug... I don't race it. If you're not racing your car your Empi should last you well. Besides... you could buy five or six Empi's for the price of a Berg. just a little food for thought!

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you guys really thinking Empi, bugpack and scat don't all come off the same Boat. ????? welp surprise...
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Trigger Shifter Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:
Besides... you could buy five or six Empi's for the price of a Berg. just a little food for thought!

True, but when the rivets rip off and you're 100 miles from home, the last thing you want to do is pull out your spare EMPI shifter and install it on the side of the road.

My original Hurst was used for 20 years and still has plenty of life left in it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: