Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me get my buggy titled in crappy Pennsylvania
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkswagen69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Help me get my buggy titled in crappy Pennsylvania Reply with quote

I have a manx type buggy that is all ready to go on the road. It has a title from Massachusetts and I am trying to get it titled in Pennsylvania. I had the car inspected and had the title application booklet filled out by a local certified mechanic stating that it is road worthy. Even though I was already issued a plate by the local messenger service, I got my application rejected because some beaurocrat in my state capital said he or she doesn't like the way my engine isn't covered ( no more or less than any other manx type buggy) or the way the wheels are exposed.(not enough fender for them) Now, I've seen other people in Pennsylvania with dune buggies the same as mine. Why would mine draw a red flag? Is there an argument to get around this? The car has all the essentials...turn signals, wipers, tail lights, head lights....Please! Someone help me so I can enjoy this car and not have to sell it out of frustration.[/url]
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too am in PA, vw69. the problem is stemming from some new laws that had been passed a few years ago concerning the tire coverage and motors. Heaven forbid if a pedestrian tripped and fell into the motor! In any case, check with your local title company or wherever you got your registration from. You may have to register it as a 'specially constructed vehicle' that may make it exempt from those 'safety' laws. The problem is it may restrict you to either daylight hours or limited hours per year you can drive it. But check with the company. Or, better yet, call PA's DOT directly and see if you can get a hold of someone there who can give you the right answers. Doubtful, but it's worth a shot. Check the website at www.state.pa under driver services.
Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Baja76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 70 Baja bug and I'm having the same problem with my title. LEt me know what you did and if it worked out for you. I'm getting really frustrated cause I just want to drive my car. Thanks
volkswagen69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Penndot and all the lady said is "I want the engine covered and the fenders extended". I explained to her that the body is the way it is . I just can't magically make new fenders and a create a locking hood for the engine. ITS A DUNE BUGGY! What the f***! She said in a snotty way that was my problem and until I do what she commands, they won't give me a title. I'm gonna try to go over her head to someone not suffering from PMS. If that doesn't work, my neighbor is a state representative and I'll see if he can't pull a few strings.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, go here: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-426B.pdf and print out everything. Page 18 details registrations for dune buggies. What should happen is they will (PADOT) issue a new VIN plate. In reading those pages, you will note that the regulations state no exposed air cleaners, etc. BUT, they make provisions for 'specially constructed vehicles' such as street rods.
Read everything carefully, make copies, and send it in. Provide as much info on the kit as you can. If push came to shove you could try to register it as a 196?? Bug, but then you get into insurance hassles.
The person you dealt with was out of line. You should have demanded her supervisor. Twisted Evil
Keep us posted. Good luck. I'll keep digging around on my end as well.

Rick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, today I talked to another guy at the specially constructed, reconstructed division....the people who shot me down. This guy was helpful and explained what I or we need to do. He said the engine must be covered and the fenders need extended which sucks, but he did say in a vague way that there is a way around this without making permanant modifications to the car. First off, he said he was aware there are cars like mine running around Pa. and that they are technically illegal as they are. He said a lot of people "make" fenders and engine covers and attach them to make it "look" legal for the Penndot photos. He said he does not condone this, but it is done, and if it looks like it was done believably, it will pass the test. What you do after the photos is up to you. Attach the damn things with velcro. He told me one guy painted cardboard for the photos and attached it. He said it wouldn't be his first choice of body material, but never the less he did. Heavy rubber mud guards can be used as fender extensions. They just cant' rub the tire. He also explained how the fender coverage works. If you look at your car from the side, with the front facing the left, the front tire should have fender coverage to to the 11 o'clock position if you looked at the tire as a clock. The rear should have coverage to the two o'clock position. I know it sounds like a lot of $h!t to go through, but this ain't Ohio. He even gave me his email address so he could review the pictures before I send a formal copy so he can okay them.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least you got an answer and someone to work with. Now depending where you are in PA, you just have to hope our local troopers don't decide to enforce it. The bigger cities may say something, unless you are on your way to a meet or something. Keep us posted!
54taterbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a junk buggy with a pa recon. title to by pass all that crap.State farm insured it for me but they wanted pictures too .So after that the bumper-cages came off. A friend inspects it for me each year. You know it's illegal to have fun in PA. Mad
sweetbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fix for the fender problem..... put a set of real skinny tires and rims on it , that should take care of that problem, then just put them back on after its all said and done
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion raises some issues for me as an American. How can one car be perfectly legal in Florida or California, but in Pennslyvania they won't allow it. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Good luck getting it to pass, and then reverse all the changes.
Class 11 wannabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragman wrote:
This discussion raises some issues for me as an American. How can one car be perfectly legal in Florida or California, but in Pennslyvania they won't allow it. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Good luck getting it to pass, and then reverse all the changes.

Great thread, I need to hang out here more.
I would rather each state have their own laws instead of Uncle Sugar deciding on what we all "need". If Uncle S had his way, we don't "need" dune buggy's, but we would all "need" a new environmentally friendly car every 5 years! Democrats helping the environment, and Republicans helping their corporate buddies make profits!
Here in California at one of our Pomona swap meets, I asked Winne Meyers herself about what the Manx Club members were doing. The answer in short was they are doing it all! At any club meet there are "constructed vehicles" parked right next to "beetles", and they are all dune buggy's!
The "constructed vehicle" is the hardest kidney stone to pass through the Dept of Motor Vehicles, but in the end it is the most honest. Just try to get insurance for a vehicle you built yourself, at home, with an open cockpit, and for some reason a motorcycle looks perfectly safe by comparison to most insurance agents! Mad
The "beetle" registration is the easiest as most DMV and insurance reps won't even want to see the vehicle, but get pulled over and it could be all over if the cop knows what a "beetle" is supposed to look like. Thanks VWAG for introducing the New Beetle, it gives a whole new generation of cops knowledge of what the Beetle looks like!
Oh well, it's just a hobby, right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: