Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOW what? Starter doesn't work
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
When I installed the new wiring harness last year, everything was hooked up..Now I'm miffed as why the 3 aren't.. Confused I have done no major cleaning under the speedo- to pull them loose. Regardless, I will re-hook them back up (always a fun task to get under there)..and re-install my battery, which I had dropped off this am to get the charge checked - completely drained, and go from there.

Another question- When installing a new starter (12V) do you have to pull the engine to install the new bushing? I would assume it would make it easier.

Changing my ID very soon to :KursedKombi.. Laughing

an alternator will not charge if dash bulb is burnt out or in your case if bulb housing is not in speedo. a generator can charge tho'.
answer to bushing: usually the bushing needs to be changed when installing a new starter. i use an auto stick rather than stock starter as no bushing is required. usually auto stick is only $5 more at kragen or auto zone than a normal bushing supported one..

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
mynameismud wrote:
When I installed the new wiring harness last year, everything was hooked up..Now I'm miffed as why the 3 aren't.. Confused I have done no major cleaning under the speedo- to pull them loose. Regardless, I will re-hook them back up (always a fun task to get under there)..and re-install my battery, which I had dropped off this am to get the charge checked - completely drained, and go from there.

Another question- When installing a new starter (12V) do you have to pull the engine to install the new bushing? I would assume it would make it easier.

an alternator will not charge if dash bulb is burnt out or in your case if bulb housing is not in speedo. a generator can charge tho'.
answer to bushing: usually the bushing needs to be changed when installing a new starter. i use an auto stick rather than stock starter as no bushing is required. usually auto stick is only $5 more at kragen or auto zone than a normal bushing supported one..

Thanks Bill - Yes, I am aware a new bushing need to be changed with a new starter- I was wondering if it required an engine-pull (especially, since I just pulled it this past week to install a new fan, that came loose). I'll keep the auto-stick starter in mind, next time.
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
bill may wrote:
mynameismud wrote:

Thanks Bill - Yes, I am aware a new bushing need to be changed with a new starter- I was wondering if it required an engine-pull (especially, since I just pulled it this past week to install a new fan, that came loose). I'll keep the auto-stick starter in mind, next time.

to do it the proper way, Yes. But it can be done engine in. use a tap and get it to bind and pull it out. the problem however is if it is a tight fit which it should be, might be difficult to re-install. In summery if your starter is bad, get a damn auto starter and be done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reattached the 2 pulled wires to the idiot lights - the 3rd one is from the dome light harness (one red connected to the dome light switch on speedo pod) the other shorter one goes to where? Not the wiper switch?

So, I reinstalled my battery, hooked up ignition switch and the starter turned over- but wouldn't go to run- like it was stuck. So, I took off the ignition switch and hotwired it. After a few seconds it caught and fired up, and idled fine. Looks like the culprit was a faulty repro ignition (less then 6 months old... Confused ) which replaced my orginal one, that got smoked..Maybe I need to order 2 and keep one as a spare.
Ollie W
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find an original switch, gabriele can rekey it to match your doors. That's what I did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mynameismud wrote:
Just reattached the 2 pulled wires to the idiot lights - the 3rd one is from the dome light harness (one red connected to the dome light switch on speedo pod) the other shorter one goes to where? Not the wiper switch?

One goes to the wiper switch, the small red one goes to the domelight switch.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ollie W wrote:
If you can find an original switch, gabriele can rekey it to match your doors. That's what I did.

yah- i hade him do that too- then i proceeded to smoke the original swtich.. Crying or Very sad bad thing is the OG switches are pretty pricey even w/o keys.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
mynameismud wrote:

One goes to the wiper switch, the small red one goes to the domelight switch.

thanks greg- i assumed so, since it was shorter - and looked like it goes there but connecting the domelight wire to the wiper switch, seemed odd in my head.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: