Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is Raby’s “Camper Special”, Special ?? Must read !!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Jake! Two camping trips this summer so far (1000 miles) and not a single problem on our camper special. Have about 10k on my camper special to date and it has been absolutely worry free. I will buy another if i blow this one up someday due to me driving it like a sports car. The proof is in the pudding guys!

Jake I have a leaky flywheel seal too! Wanna come fly down to baltimore?

Actually I put my camper special version together myself and first go had a very leaky flywheel seal and after doing it a second time it still leakes a tiny bit. Usually a dime size oil drop per week! Dry as a bone everywhere else.

The rear flywheel seals I have always had trouble with and it really happens on the first startup on a rebuild. The seal is to dry and gets snagged or shifted in its bore or the bore si not clean and smooth! Seems some design work needs to be done there to eliminate the failure of these seals. In my case it was surely user error! Maybe when I remove the camper special for a clutch replacment in 5 years or so I will do it then!
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jake....off topic but out of curiosity...what kind of CHT do your engines usually have? I understand weight, speed, and terrain factor in but, on average what would you guess??
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue that causes main seal leaks is inadequate lubrication of the seal/ flywheel surface during assembly.

Once the seal is "sealed" oil cannot get to it to lubricate the surface, so the seal becomes "smoked" quickly at start up...

Those who use any form of grease on these surfaces also instigate issues since the grease has to get very hot before it is burned away, at that point the grease has blocked the seal from getting the oil needed to keep it alive and well.

Then you have a leak. The flywheel seal wasn't the source of Jim's leak.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
Hey Jake....off topic but out of curiosity...what kind of CHT do your engines usually have? I understand weight, speed, and terrain factor in but, on average what would you guess??

My Bus runs 350-360 in 90* weather on flat ground, it will hit 375 on a medium grade and will bump 400 up hills. It will not o past 400F, even when towing my Beetle.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRN9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos Jake! I love these stories! Everything is going great with my Camper Special Very Happy I love it!!!!!!!!!! Thank you again!
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!!!

I miss my opposition, where did they all go ??? Smile
jgordon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Cool!!!

I miss my opposition, where did they all go ??? Smile

finally seen the light and the error of their ways??

or maybe they just finally realize that you are right

either way, great info as always, and i look forward to speaking with you in the fall about my very own Jake masterpiece

James
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
The main issue that causes main seal leaks is inadequate lubrication of the seal/ flywheel surface during assembly.

Once the seal is "sealed" oil cannot get to it to lubricate the surface, so the seal becomes "smoked" quickly at start up...

Those who use any form of grease on these surfaces also instigate issues since the grease has to get very hot before it is burned away, at that point the grease has blocked the seal from getting the oil needed to keep it alive and well.

Then you have a leak. The flywheel seal wasn't the source of Jim's leak.

Hi Jake,
So you recommend what ? Oiling the seal and flywheel surface with engine oil prior to install it ? Is that as simple ?

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Who installs a seal without lubrication?

ANY component that is assembled that contacts any other component, in any way MUST be lubricated during engine assembly!!
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

My Bus runs 350-360 in 90* weather on flat ground, it will hit 375 on a medium grade and will bump 400 up hills. It will not o past 400F, even when towing my Beetle.

I have a '72 fully loaded Campmobile running the "original" Camper Special. It has around 50k miles on it now and the heads have never seen 400 degrees, even in Florida in late July, even in the mountains in August...
Our other '72 bus is a Transporter converted to a Weekender with full cabinetry and fold down bed. It has never seen head temps past 360...

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a '72 fully loaded Campmobile running the "original" Camper Special.

Meaning ORIGINAL.. As in, First one ever built!
Brown_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread doesnt suprise me. The few times that I spoke with Jake he was informative, helpful, friendly and seemed dedicated to making sure that the customer would be happy.

Still a few dimes away from my CS. But It wil come soon!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see some well deserved kudo's for Jake and his service.

Its way easier to assemble one of Jake's kits instead of buying a pile of parts off the net for a motor.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brown_Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have absolutley no engine removal or rebuild experience. I want to at the very least get the CS kit.

How hard is it to build. Can a extreme novice with determination handle it?
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have absolutley no engine removal or rebuild experience. I want to at the very least get the CS kit.

How hard is it to build. Can a extreme novice with determination handle it?

We don't sell kits to shops. We also won't sell a kit to someone who will take it to a shop for assembly. The shops bad habits and "thoughts" impact the results of the kit in 95% of cases.

The entire program has been based from an entry level perspective and today we even sell tool kits with all the tools needed to assemble the entire kit included in them.

Our best kit customers are those with no experience- they are meticulous and procedural following our instructions verbatim because they have no badhabits and prior experience to cloud their judgement.
barrysmith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab-E or RAY-B ? Just curious as to pronounciation.
thanks!
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easy.

Baby with the first B replaced with an R.
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from trip #2 of the year so far in my CS... try as I might on the mountains, or hills of Central Oregon, couldn't get my CS to go above 386 on a pretty hot day for here. That's uphill folks!

Loving it Jake!!!!

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rubber Duck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Our best kit customers are those with no experience- they are meticulous and procedural following our instructions verbatim because they have no badhabits and prior experience to cloud their judgement.

This sounds really good to someone like me Embarassed Nothing like a fresh slate to work on eh Laughing
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IFBwax wrote:
Just got back from trip #2 of the year so far in my CS... try as I might on the mountains, or hills of Central Oregon, couldn't get my CS to go above 386 on a pretty hot day for here. That's uphill folks!

Loving it Jake!!!!

Great! thats what we like to hear!!!

Quote:
This sounds really good to someone like me Nothing like a fresh slate to work on eh

Yep, its always best to start from scratch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: