Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lubricating old window and door seals
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
offthewallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the advice for 303 Aerospace Protectant. I use it on just about everything rubber, including the latex seals on my dry suit. Expensive but it works. It won't restore badly cracked or torn material but will bring back rubber that has dried out and probably provides the best UV protection vs other products.

One concern regarding vegetable oil would be attracting mice, rats etc, or even bears depending on where you are camping or storing your Van...
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK, if the rubber is as cracked as the Serengeti and or shrunk beyond belief than obviously its best to replace it Baby oil works wonders on the rubber trim on my Westy, as well as the dash. I bought a new sliding door seal from VW a few years ago because parts were getting hard to find. I havent used it yet but my 26 year old seal is just as pliable as the new one is and Ive been applying baby oil to all the seals for years and years. It doesent leak either.All my seals ,interior as well as exterior look brand new.....no leaks either. If it works for me, can you think of any reason why it wouldnt work for someone else?? Maybe you should give it a try......... another thing, did you know that frequent applications of Furniture Polish to after market hub caps and bumpers creates a nearly rust free finish as well as a beautiful shine? Its the silicone thats in those "types" of polishes that works wonders. It works for me, can you think of any reason that it wouldnt work for others?
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
It works for me, can you think of any reason that it wouldnt work for others?

Link

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey riceye, Can you elaborate on the correlation between my posting and your reply to it ? I didnt open the link due to past issues with YouTube.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the "as seen on tv" good ole boy Billy Mays! The youtube link is an amusing outtake of him.

Your comment sounded like one of his ad claims, that's all. No offense intended, RCB.

Baby oil does work well on weatherstripping, as does silicone spray. The trick is applying it often enough, without overapplying.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceye wrote:
RCB wrote:
It works for me, can you think of any reason that it wouldnt work for others?

Link

Edit-To clarify my point:
Billy Mays' statement in this clip is simply "You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners", to which I agree wholeheartedly. There are dozens of products out there that will improve the look and feel of the weatherstripping (although none will bring it back from dead). None seem to work any better than baby oil or silicone spray.

You don't need a cabinet full of stuff, if one or two products will handle most of the jobs.

Hope that helps you out, Marie!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: