Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Cheap Daily Driver Baja Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: My Cheap Daily Driver Baja Project Reply with quote

This is the new project- I bought it for $200 delivered to my house. It had a good 1600 SP and a decent chassis those two items should recoup my investment and make me some $$ besides- I am using neither, instead I have put it on a new painted (1974)IRS chassis. I cut the stock hood to fit a bugeye nose, swapped doors, all new brakes, lines and MC, new windshield and popouts, I have the fenders and tail piece. I also have the tube bumpers/cage for front and rear. I also have a stock rebuild 1600 and rebuilt 1971 Super tranny waiting in the wings. I have also painted the entire car in Masterseries rustproofing paint- inside and out- NO MORE RUST. That is some good stuff. I also welded the side trim holes and the hood trim holes, too. I have some RX-7 seats that I have fitted to the car. I have Rhino lined the pans, also. This car will get light trail/off road duty and DD responsibilities. I am making the car as user friendly as possible. Gauges for engine monitoring, including a vacuum gauge to help with mpg. I also have a wooden Nardi steering wheel for it, and a JSC shifter (or an Eliminator from flat Four). I still need to replace both heater channels. This is how I hope to drive it for the next school year. I am looking for a diesel 1.6 from a rabbit to rebuild over the winter, I am hoping for 60 mpg with it in back. But that is a future iteration. I cannot seem to find any one that has real mpg figures for this swap, but I am guessing I can get 60. So, I know it is not as radical as some of yours, but it will be a capable off roader that can also serve as a daily driver. enjoy the pics.
This is about 3-4 weeks of progress.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

elvergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job, just need to take more pictures of the progress!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
cwrisley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig the paint. Is that Masterseries a "do-it-yourselfer" or was it done professionally?

Score on the baja though, cant beat the price. Sounds like a cool start, keep us posted!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baja kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not really understanding when you where saying your plan was to get 60 mpg ??? but looks great

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=243718
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if 60mpg is possible, i know a good 45mpg is
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Masterseries is an amazing product. It takes about a quart to do a car, and it is $35.00 a quart plus shipping from Chuck at masterseriesct.com . It is applied with a roller (VERY smooth) and foam brushes. It can be used as a final coat with three coats and as a primer only with two. This car will never rust again with this stuff on there. For good info on it check out the website.

The 60 mpg is , I believe, obtainable with the 1.6 diesel Rabbit engine. I achieved 51-54 mpg with a diesel 4-dr Rabbit. I think with the lighter Baja and appropriate gearing I can achieve close to 60 mpg.

Thanks for the comments. The car is up in the air for some beam/suspension work, the tranny will be swapped and the engine installed this weekend.
I also need to finsh the mods to get the RX-7 seats in, too.
Updates as they are interesting. Very Happy
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreeneHoosier wrote:
The Masterseries is an amazing product. It takes about a quart to do a car, and it is $35.00 a quart plus shipping from Chuck at masterseriesct.com . It is applied with a roller (VERY smooth) and foam brushes. It can be used as a final coat with three coats and as a primer only with two. This car will never rust again with this stuff on there. For good info on it check out the website.

The 60 mpg is , I believe, obtainable with the 1.6 diesel Rabbit engine. I achieved 51-54 mpg with a diesel 4-dr Rabbit. I think with the lighter Baja and appropriate gearing I can achieve close to 60 mpg.

Thanks for the comments. The car is up in the air for some beam/suspension work, the tranny will be swapped and the engine installed this weekend.
I also need to finsh the mods to get the RX-7 seats in, too.
Updates as they are interesting. Very Happy

if you feel its doable go for it, ive just never heard those kind of number before, i was researching getting an old TDI rabbit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last one I had was a 1981, I think. I sold it for $50.00. I am trying to track down it's carcass now. Low 50's easy.
notsofastEddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely looks cool, look forward to progress reports.
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Herculiner from Wal_mart. The pinstripes are double silver/black. The silver matches the Masterseries perfectly. I also scored a Rabbit diesel engine. Woo Hoo. 60 mpg (I hope) here I come.

I also did the floor.
elvergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great project!

We need more pics thou...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
badcommando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, lets see that engine.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreeneHoosier wrote:

What are your plans for appropriate gearing? I'd imagine that motor would probably come apart at 3k RPM which isn't even highway speed with the stock tranny.

Please keep us updated on the motor swap!
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan is better gearing through taller tires. Wink
I also have two good (one new, one low mile) trannies to choose from. A 1971 that is fresh and a single side cover 1974 that is a low mile original. I have 235's on there now-with the 1974 tranny, but I can put 30/10.5/15's on there also. I need to do some figuring to get my RPM's where I want them at 60 mph. It seems like there was a calculator somewhere for this kind of thing....hmmmm
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I can turn 72 mph at 3k rpm with the 1974 tranny and 31/10.5/15's that measure 29 inches tall.I certainly will not be driving 72 on the rural 2 lane hwy I drive back and forth. I can see 55 to 60 mph and less than 2500 rpm, I think. 48 mph is 2000 rpm, so I think that would be about right. I wonder what rpm a 5-speed diesel rabbit runs in 5th gear at 60 mph? Thanks for the questions, it makes me think...
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would almost be worth it to have someone build you a tranny. Use a 3.88 R&P, and the tallest 4th gear you could find. Basically you'd have a big gap between 3rd and 4th, but I think you could learn to drive around it. I think you'd need to keep the revs pretty low to achieve your MPG goals, but man would that be a neat setup.
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see the new rims on it, looking good! Cool

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
Lets see the new rims on it, looking good! Cool

I LOVE my new rims, man, thanks. This guy is the worlds greatest wheel packer. It was a shame to unwrap them. FYI- I bought a pair of widened steelies from birddog. They are going to be wrapped in the 31's as soon as I clean them up. I will be running stock hubcaps and 235's on stock wheels for the front (mud terrains for the steering) and 31's on the back with the widened (8") steelies with stock hubcaps. I just love that look.

I just put in a new windshield and replaced the rear rubber, too. I also replaced the rubber on my popouts and installed them. I just finished up. I love popouts.

A pretty good night.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep us posted on how the bed liner paint holds up, people ask alot about that and it would be nice to get a solid idea on how long it lasts before it fades and how easy it is to get off if the time comes.
Crippler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runslikeapenguin wrote:
keep us posted on how the bed liner paint holds up, people ask alot about that and it would be nice to get a solid idea on how long it lasts before it fades and how easy it is to get off if the time comes.

i painted my motorcycle with duplicolor spray can bedliner. that crap is tough as hell. scratch resistant, gas resistant etc. i havent heard of anyone successfully taking it off though... .might need a jackhammer...

is the herculiner spray on, or brush on?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: