Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp idling question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: 40hp idling question Reply with quote

40hp engine. 30pic carb,010 dizzy, valves adjusted,timing correct etc. car idles at 825rpm at operating temp. Here s my question . When the car is cold I have to stay on the gas pedal to warm up the engine for the car to idle. after the warm up the car idles fine and theres no cutoff. No popping,no issues. is this normal where I have to just warm up the engine for the car to idle or should the car idle when cold as well I mean was this normal from the factory where you had to warm up the engine or should I just raise the rmp to 850-900 Question
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust the choke.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adjust the choke.

X2..and/or make sure its even working?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, How do you adjust it Question which way do u turn it Question and do u adjust the choke when the engine is at operating temps Question
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine must be stone cold. Loosen 3 mounting screws just enough you can rotate the housing. Hold the throttle open, and rotate the housing first clockwise all the way (but don't force it), then slowly counterCW until the throttle arm screw is on the highest step of the fast idle cam when you let the throttle close. Tighten the three screws.

Start it up, and after five minutes blip the throttle and check that the choke has opened enough you are now on the lowest step of the cam. If not, shut off the motor, loosen the 3 screws, open the throttle, and slightly rotate the housing clockwise until it's on the low step.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok , when u say hold the throttle open do u mean all the way down. also when u say highest step of the fast idle cam your referring to the upper top step not bottom correct. Ok sounds easy enough . thanks and I thought I was done messing with the car. its always something coming up. thanks
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about the heat riser on the intake manifold, carb pre-heat tube, and cooling flaps? Even though you're in California, they are still helpful...
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys . I adjusted the choke and the car now idles when cold. and hot. now I need to install my judson. never ends .
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
I thought I was done messing with the car. its always something coming up. thanks

It's an old VW. You will NEVER be done messing with it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: