Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pic of cooling hose for 70A alternator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Pic of cooling hose for 70A alternator Reply with quote

Can anyone post a pic of the little nipple/hose & connection that goes from the engine tin to the 70A alternator to cool it? I don't think mine has it, but I was told that '76 Westies came with them. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 70A in case I add an auxiliary battery for camping- would the 70A be valuable for extra charging power if I did? Or unnecessary?
Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D022%2D903%2D655

more power is always usefull.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can buy them from Busdepot and the difference is the end that plugs into the alt is round instead of kinda oblong for the 55amp alt.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pic of cooling hose for 70A alternator Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
Can anyone post a pic of the little nipple/hose & connection that goes from the engine tin to the 70A alternator to cool it? I don't think mine has it, but I was told that '76 Westies came with them. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 70A in case I add an auxiliary battery for camping- would the 70A be valuable for extra charging power if I did? Or unnecessary?
Thanks

It would be of marginal extra value, depending somewhat on the size of the extra battery and how you use it. The main value (and purpose) of the more powerful alternator is to run more accessories with the engine running without drawing down the battery. That's why Canadian buses with the gas heaters had the larger alternator - to run the current draw of the heater.

Of course a larger capacity alternator will charge a deeply discharged battery faster. But faster is not necessarily better... rapid charging can cause overheating and can be destructive. Recommended max charge rate for long battery life is usually around C/8. That's capacity in Amp-Hours divided by 8. So if you have a 100 Amp-Hour battery you should charge at no more than 12.5 Amps. Obviously a 70 Amp Alternator can charge much faster than this.... good if you want the battery charged quick, bad if you want it to last a long time.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info as usual. Thanks for the replies.
So the big difference is the shape of the cooling boot?
I was under the impression there was an additional tube coming from inside the engine compartment out to the alternator body, besides the cooling boot. No?
Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no difference on the engine except for the alternator end of the boot, and the harnes to the starter. No additional tubes, etc..

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Busdaddy-o
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just swapped out a 55A unit for a 70A and found that the tin around the pulley side of the alternator was different to accomodate the fan blades on the 70A pulley which the 55A lacks. In my case it went into a 72 which I don't think had a 70A option so later tin might be different.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, Bosch 70A alternator Reply with quote

Oil Phil-M wrote:
I just swapped out a 55A unit for a 70A and found that the tin around the pulley side of the alternator was different to accomodate the fan blades on the 70A pulley which the 55A lacks. In my case it went into a 72 which I don't think had a 70A option so later tin might be different.

I don't think I have ever seen a 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2, with a Bosch 70A alternator, which seem to be exclusive to North America.

What do they and their associated parts look like?

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 70amp alt with boot without the fan
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:

That looks like the 55A, except the boot is circular. The pulley looks the same;
Oil Phil-M wrote:

I just swapped out a 55A unit for a 70A and found that the tin around the pulley side of the alternator was different to accomodate the fan blades on the 70A pulley which the 55A lacks.

where/how do the fan blades attach to the 70A?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:

That looks like the 55A, except the boot is circular. The pulley looks the same;
Oil Phil-M wrote:

I just swapped out a 55A unit for a 70A and found that the tin around the pulley side of the alternator was different to accomodate the fan blades on the 70A pulley which the 55A lacks.

where/how do the fan blades attach to the 70A?

Presumably, there is a different sheet-steel alternator cover, with circular duct, to connect to that rubber elbow-shaped boot!?!

I have two 55A alternators, with that type of pulley and two 55A alternators, with the earlier type of pulley.

What kind of coverplate and plastic seal does one use, at the pulley end of the alternator?

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to know about the 70A is here:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Alternator.html

BTW - Air Head Parts now carry reproduction cooling boots:

http://www.airheadparts.com/viewDetail.asp?strMasterCat=3701&idproduct=7649
- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:

the pulley in that photo is not the correct one. there's more info in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261398

all late buses uses the same alternator cover tin (pulley end) and plastic ring. both the alternator and ring are now NLA from original sources. bosch no longer remans the al108 and the rings have been gone for about a year.

http://germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17165

it's ironic and unfortunate that once someone ponied up to reproduce the al108 cooling elbow, shorty afterwards bosch stopped producing the alternator itself.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted to stay with the 55 amp alternator. I have never had an issue with inadequate charging or both batteries.

I am pleased with my decision. I don't need more power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know randy, it's easy to think that, but if you are using the leisure battery a lot, or if you were to have double leisure batteries installed for longer time available on battery, the extra amperage in the alternator will come in handy. i can see wanting 100A charging capacity.

i am working on some interesting stuff right now around the leisure battery system. i just did a second battery installation on a 78 bus with new charging technology parts. there are new components available that do a much better job than the stock parts in this area. we are working on a new refrigerator retrofit in the stock cabinet that will bring the fridge up many notches in performance and battery life. if you want to camp off grid for days at a time and still want a bit of power, these upgrades can make the quality of life improve.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it really depends on how you camp and what you are running for electrical draw as to what you need.

I only camp in one spot for a couple of days at a time and generally do some driving in between or am able to plug in to shore power for recharging. 55 amps is still OK for me for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, totally understood.

i am working with a supplier who specializes in off-grid technology and his mantra is that the more power you can make and store, the better. i guess it is rubbing off on me a bit.

this guy has a huge battery bank in his econoline van and a big alternator in the van. he uses the truck all day for deliveries and stores all the excess power he makes, then he goes home to his off-grid house and plugs his van into his house and has all the power he needs.

it is this sort of thinking that is rubbing off. he makes and stores totally free power while driving and if you have a big alternator and a battery bank to store the power, you can do the same in a VW bus, especially if you're driving long hauls every few days. the stock 55a alternator and small single leisure battery work fine, that is what we have in our own camper, but there are some interesting upgrades available and that is what i am working on. it's good stuff.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Increasing alternator current output Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
yes, totally understood.

i am working with a supplier who specializes in off-grid technology and his mantra is that the more power you can make and store, the better. i guess it is rubbing off on me a bit.

this guy has a huge battery bank in his econoline van and a big alternator in the van. he uses the truck all day for deliveries and stores all the excess power he makes, then he goes home to his off-grid house and plugs his van into his house and has all the power he needs.

it is this sort of thinking that is rubbing off. he makes and stores totally free power while driving and if you have a big alternator and a battery bank to store the power, you can do the same in a VW bus, especially if you're driving long hauls every few days. the stock 55a alternator and small single leisure battery work fine, that is what we have in our own camper, but there are some interesting upgrades available and that is what i am working on. it's good stuff.

There is no such thing as free power! Any electrical energy stored by the baterries, must be generated by using additional fuel in the engine, at circa <30% conversion efficiency.

I know I have previously mentioned them in the context of modified heating systems, but I wonder whether the 1980~83 VW 2000 Vanagon cooling system, with separately cooled alternator, would offer the option of using readily available, higher current capacity alternators, of either Bosch or other brands, originating from more modern vehicles.

Of course one would have to resolve the issue of how to blow air, through the heat exchangers; possibly using a separate belt-driven or electric fan.

Another option, would be to leave the factory-stock charging system as it is, and run one or even two supplementary alternators in parallel, with separate belt drives, which I think was a Volkswagen M-Code option.

Nigel A. Skeet

Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to run the 70amp alt and a deap cycle Optima battery for the leisure battery. I like to camp off any grid when I do and the extra drag really is minor on the Camper Special.

Ok Randy, whats this refer conversion?????? Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: