Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild Spun Bearing?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Rebuild Spun Bearing? Reply with quote

Been looking for a late model Weekender Vanagon camper and my son found me one today. I am home for 2 weeks recovering from a minor heart attack that was caught in time requring only 2 stents. I'm basically lucky to still be alive.

This vanagon is an 87 Weekender automatic with 165K on the odometer, but had a $3,400 factory short block in 1999 @ 30K miles ago. The owner had a metal grinding sound backing out of the garage and had it towed to a bug shop. Shop guy said it is a spun main bearing. I've been a VW/Porsche guy for several yrs and built several engines including my son's 356 motor.

What are the consequences in the 2.1 waterboxer engine of a spun main or rod bearing?
1961 Porsche 356 B Notchback Coupe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild Spun Bearing? Reply with quote

LynnsABCs wrote:

What are the consequences in the 2.1 waterboxer engine of a spun main or rod bearing?

A second heart attack ? Wink

1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted case, need at least a short block and a crank turn Boo hoo!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journal bearing normally pound and not grind. A grinding noise sounds like some kind of the gear, clutch, or roller/ball bearing failure.
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Journal bearing normally pound and not grind. A grinding noise sounds like some kind of the gear, clutch, or roller/ball bearing failure.

That's what I was thinking. Seems like 30K is too low a mileage number for a main bearing to fail unless the oil level was low.

So what could fail in an auto trans to make a grinding noise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LynnsABCs wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Seems like 30K is too low a mileage number for a main bearing to fail unless the oil level was low.

GEX engine ? They are notorious for being slightly less than good rebuilds.

- Chester

1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow sticker has VW and Audi logos showing and says Volkswagon Canada, Inc. Remanufacturing with a 5 digit number on the sticker. Other sticker is mostly in french but says Exchange. It was installed by a Porsche/VW shop in Colorado.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW/Canada rebuilds aren't awful, generally, but not the best either. They'll mix and match some parts. But they're a far cry from GEX. There was some guy who showed pics of a GEX where they used allthread for some of the head studs.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to wait some unknown (as of now) period of time to do some cardio rehab (just basic exercise) before I can begin the new Vanagon project.

Been thinking about the plan of attack. I have an almost complete set of VW Camper & Commercial magazines with the 2-part WBX rebuild article and the green cover VW Transporter Workshop Manual (82 on) published in England. Will be buying a Workshop manual with first part order.

The auto trans has 164K miles and the engine only 30K. It seems to make sense to drain the trans oil first looking for metal bits and then the engine oil to determine where the metal grinding sound was coming from.

Looks like the WBX engine doesn't have an oil screen like the Type I it was evolved from. Would enough metal bits get by the full-flow oil filter to show up in the oil drain plug or just pull the oil filter to look for metal?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Engine grinding Reply with quote

I have never seen a WBX spin a main bearing. In my opinion, that is HIGHLY doubtful.

The crank design provides for oiling of the rod bearings last. Thus, the oil had to go to the main bearings first. If a main bearing has spun, and you have been driving the van any at all, the bearings of at least two rods would be affected. There would be thumping sounds and most likely a flickering oil light at idle.

I suppose you could pull the oil filter and do some dissecting to see if you can find debris and cuttings.

Me thinking something to do with the Auto tranny!

Of course all opinions here are based on what you have said. Without actually hearing the engine, etc., its very difficult to make an assessment.

My 2 cents!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo Andy here. Doing the drain and filter checks on both units would be a smart first step.

There is a filter screen in the wbx pickup tube, actually a finer one than the T1's have. It's just up inside the pickup head so it's not visible in the exploded drawings.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LynnsABCs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I mis-heard by son. The independant VW shop guy never heard the engine run. The seller said he heard a metalic grind (metal on metal) when he started up the engine and was sure it was a spun main bearing.

Is there a posibility he heard a bad bearing in the water pump, power steering pump or the alternator? The AC compressor belt is on--could the compressor howl like a metal grinding sound?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only speculation until someone starts it up and tries to locate the noise. The water pump, power steering pump, alternator, and AC compressor all have "frictionless" bearings that will make a rattling noise as they fail. The alternator would be my first guess, but that is still only speculation.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: