Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please Provide Me Guidance Old Wise Council Of Oval Fenders
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Please Provide Me Guidance Old Wise Council Of Oval Fenders Reply with quote

I'm confused Confused , I need a drivers side front fender for my baby girl (1954 3 Fold), and I was told that there's a difference between fenders from 1952-1955 and just any Euro fender from 1956-1959. Now here's my delima...
Q1-I was told that the fender is different where the running board and fender meet on fenders after 1955. I haven't seen any photos or live fenders as Im overseas right now in Afghanistan. I would like to keep my girl OG and am just a little particular about getting the right stuff, so I have stopped the search for the fender until I find out just what is the right one..So if you can please square me away..I'm new to the oval family as I've had 58,59, Semi4 60 & 63 VWs..
Q2-Did all the fenders back in the pre-1955 have horn grills on them? I've seen a few VWs with one horn grill on the drivers side only and the other side left smooth, once again drop the elbow on me and provide me withe the knowledge..
Thank you my brothas & sistas if you help me out...I know someone knows out there..take care Ill hear from yo usooon..

Cool
Sincerely
Stuck in the Helmand Province
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Please Provide Me Guidance Old Wise Council Of Oval Fend Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:
Q2-Did all the fenders back in the pre-1955 have horn grills on them? I've seen a few VWs with one horn grill on the drivers side only and the other side left smooth

All front fenders from 1953-67 had horn grill holes on the them. The horn grill was usually painted on standards & polished Aluminum on Deluxe models. It was the 1950-52 fenders that the horn grill was not present on standard model fenders
RennyRB
Samba Textbook Gangsta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Please Provide Me Guidance Old Wise Council Of Oval Fend Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:
I'm confused Confused , I need a drivers side front fender for my baby girl (1954 3 Fold), and I was told that there's a difference between fenders from 1952-1955 and just any Euro fender from 1956-1959.

10/52'-'55 (model year) fenders would have had the horn grill holes, wire tubes, are wider than later fenders (I think 17" from the inner edge to the outer, compared to 16-1/4" for later models?), and have a pronounced flare at the running board meeting area.

56-59 Euro fenders would have the horn grill holes, wire tubes, and a smaller flare at the area, no turn signal holes, and a little narrower than the earlier fenders.

Both left and right side should have the horn grille holes, but a block-off plate goes on the right side. I'm not sure if it's painted or not.
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: I knew the Oval Council would prevail!! Reply with quote

Thats some good information, Ill be sure to keep an eye out now, does anyone have a set, or a drivers side for sale? Talk to me goose.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not ALL ovals front fenders had horn grills on both sides, euro standards only had a painted horn grill on the drivers fender, the passenger side was left grill-less, heres a pic from the gallery of an OG '54 standard :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: I appreciate that one, thats some good info........ Reply with quote

Man Im glad you replied. I was beginning to think I had some reprodcution fender on my 54. Thats exactly how my 54 looks. Solid on the passenger side and horn grill on the drivers side...I appreciate it..well thats why I was asking..thanks for the clerification...this is why I asked on TheSamba..thank you brothas.....weeeeeewh I was starting to second guess my baby girls wings here ... Cool
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a real standard model it should be pretty obvious, 3 spoke steering wheel, no synchro trans, cable brakes, no aluminum trim at beltline, of course chassis and parts can get changed out over the years, the standard in the above photo had hood and beltline trims added later right over a painted pinstripe but retains the correct grill-less RF fender
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: The information gets better every time... Reply with quote

As far as I know, cause Im overseas right now and not in the states...The 54 has a B-Wing and the stainless trim..well from the photos Ive seen. I havent asked about the brake system or trans yet..I asked the previous owner if I could get some VIN information and more photos of the inside and all around. Im sending to my older brother so he can watch over it being done how I want it. I come home in November so Im hoping I have something to drive and by that time..should be enough time..But Im just trying to get everything taken care of prior to paint...

Heres a new question:
Q3- I just seen a pic of a 54 with pop outs, but the pop outs had the larger trim on them like in split pop outs..Which was facotry the larger trim or normal thin trim on early pop out windows?? Just more informaton..
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Heres my passenger side fender Reply with quote

Heres why I asked about my fender, I didnt see any horn grill on this side....thanks for the info
OvalTeenAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Heres my passenger side fender Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:

Heres why I asked about my fender, I didnt see any horn grill on this side....thanks for the info

i dont think that is the right fender it has dempled headlight buckets..

what does the nut for the headlight screw look like?
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in Afghanistan right now, the VW is in AZ...what does the dimpled bucket insinuate?
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, looks later, '54 front fender headlight buckets inside should not have those sharp lines up and down like that one has, early ones had much smoother contour inside , the headlight ring hold down screw should be a "weldnut" kind of a nut made out of stamped sheet metal, the later ones had a heavier square nut instead, started sometime in '55, Personally I would be more concerned with finding a pair of good matched fenders, nice matching running board flares and matching above headlight flares, its getting practically impossible or not economically feasible to find actual "early" fenders anymore, unless its a standard get a pair of matching fenders with grilles, all VW made pre-'60 fenders are going to look pretty much the same except for the headlight bucket and weldnut, later fenders got less distinct running board flares over the years, your grill-less fender is probably a later replacement although the headlight flare looks like a pretty deep/high stamping like I like to see, if that one is not too rusty check for a metal wire tube coming out of the bottom of the headlight bucket and bolted inside the spare tire well, if its got the metal wire tube its a real VW fender and pretty early, worth keeping around

( as far as the correct '54 early thick framed pop out back windows they run a "couple of Gs" for a pair lately, best of luck finding any at any price though, my '55 runs plain old pre '64 thin chrome pop outs, they are expensive enough as it is ! )
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Okay the Great Hunt Begins ....1952-1954 Front Fenders Pair Reply with quote

I appreciate all the information...wish I was back in the states to search for some fenders...Ill have to rely on the hunt from the internet..Okay have some information on paper thanks to you all here....

1) Curved bucket shaped dimple not so hard contour...Check
2) Nut under headlamp bucket stamped......................Check
3) Horn Grills for DeLuxe both fenders........................Check
4) Flared out where the running board meets...............Check
5) Fenders just a tad bit wider than later years.............Check
6) Time and Patience......well I have until Sept.............Check
7) Prepared to give my left nut for a pair of fenders......Ouch

Let the great hunt begin!!!

Thanks everyone I do appreciate it..this will be interesting to do while here...thank goodness for searching online.....
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Heres my passenger side fender Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:

Pre '55 fenders also don't have that hole inside the bucket. That's for the parking light wire on sealed beam units. Here's a pair of early front fenders with no horn grills

You can see the runningboard mounting flange, headlight wire tube & smooth headlight bucket. Harder to see is the welded captive nut for the headlight screw. Sorry these aren't 4-sale as they now reside on my '47 Wink
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backside shot of the front fender on my '54
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The information gets better every time... Reply with quote

valentinesr wrote:
Heres a new question:
Q3- I just seen a pic of a 54 with pop outs, but the pop outs had the larger trim on them like in split pop outs..Which was facotry the larger trim or normal thin trim on early pop out windows?? Just more informaton..

Here's a shot of my '54. Depending on how "correct" you want your car, these are the ones the run on 1952-55 cars.

*click on photo to view a more detailed pic
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Heres my passenger side fender Reply with quote

56vwrag wrote:
valentinesr wrote:

i dont think that is the right fender it has dempled headlight buckets..

what does the nut for the headlight screw look like?

Nicely spotted Con-man.. Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Back to the Wise Table of Oval Fenders Reply with quote

I know Ive been all up in the forums like its cool..but hey Im in Afghanistan this is my getaway..Cant wait to show you my VW project out in Operation Enduring Freedom here in the Helmand Province.. Wink Alrighty heres my question...Is this a correct drivers side front fender for 53-55...Ive recieved a couple different opinions..One said that it was OG for early 52-55.. I know that pictures are hard to tell at times..so if you can let me know..I was also told it was a 56-59 fender..So Im just torn between to opinions.. Confused ....So Im puting this back out on the table for a knowledge dropper..give me any details of what it could be..

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/468517.jpg[/img
I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I found this pic from Matts 53 in the Gallery..I can see the mating surface to the running board here good. I can see how there is a flare..but I dont think the photo up above in the red primered fender is as flared..so would have to agree with "RareAir" that this is to be 56-59 drivers side front..Any Comments??
Confused

I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE
luv4skating
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valentinesr,

Did you find your fenders, because I'm looking for some front fenders for a 56 Oval, how is it going?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: