Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 turn signal relays?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: 2 turn signal relays? Reply with quote

I've got a 64 kombi that I'm converting to a 12 volt. There is a relay for the signal flashers in front on the passenger side(small black box, 4 prong) and another relay (looks like a small silver can marked 6v, 3 prongs) in front of the driver. Is this also a relay.?? My buddy told me this is a blinker relay and the other is a flasher relay. Any ideas? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Whats happening is that when you turn on the signals, the signal lights on whatever side choosen, come on and don't blink. Same with the emergency blinkers. All other electrics work fine.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kaput
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 3 prong is the relay for the turn signals and the other box is for the emergency blinkers. If all is still connected you may need a new flasher (3 prong ) for the turn signals. pretty cheap.

I had the same problem with my flasher. 6 bucks for a new flasher solved it. Im 6 volt. I think that the 6 to 12 volt should be ok with the same setup but I could be wrong.

Does you e-flasher blink the lights?

Here is the diagram J is the flasher and J1 is the E flasher
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-62-usa.jpg
Here is the key
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-62-usa-key.jpg

this is also helpful if all else fails
http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any part numbers on those relays, or pictures? There are 2 flasher relays in 64 (USA models) and they both need to be changed to 12V versions. One is for the turn signals, the other for the emergency lights.
Check out the wiring diagram at http://vintagebus.com/wiring/bus-62-usa.jpg

J is the turn signal flasher, J1 is the emergency flasher relay, and J6 is the emergency light switch.
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
Kaput
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to DStefun...
he knows his shit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
Got any part numbers on those relays, or pictures? There are 2 flasher relays in 64 (USA models) and they both need to be changed to 12V versions.

I'll ask first!---where can you get a 12v version of the 4-pronge relay? The plastiic insulator on my 6v melted and stopped the relay points from opening. I had to take the cover off and break the offending plastic to pass a safety check. Works fine now, but I would like a 12v one.

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your 6V emergency relay is # 211-953-215B (look on the old relay for the part #), you should be able to use 12V relay # 211-953-215C and it is still available ... although the terminals may be numbered differently. This was also used on 68-70 bus and bug (after the dreaded 9-prong box in 66-67).

$10.95 @ http://www.bughaus.com/type_2_-_relays.htm
Remember - You are required to get older but you are not required to grow up!
62 SC & 66 Bus
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Kaput
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ritchiet002,
How long were you yousing your 6volt flashers b4 they died?
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just got back from my mechanics house, where I helped him with my bus. I stopped by the local Napa and got a 3 prong generic flasher/blinker relay. I hooked the two same color wires(lights) together and the other wire into the relay. Now all lights work except front flashers on emergency, the rear flashers work, signals, dash ect. So the bus isn't 100% but for now i'm just trying to get her on the road this week in time to make the Charlotte transporter show/ Farmington.
I've learned that alot of fixing the electrical mess is trial and error. I can get some digital pics up sunday afternoon of what relay came out of the bus, which one went in, and how I hooked it up.
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaput wrote:
ritchiet002,
How long were you yousing your 6volt flashers b4 they died?
Hard to say---I never got into the position where I had to use them very much, but they worked for 1 1/2 years. They crapped out the night before I had to get the bus saftey checked. Did you check out the link Arrow http://www.bughaus.com/type_2_-_relays.htm that dstefun posted? looks promising

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: