Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Rebuild
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

I have inherited my little brother's 74 Thing. He passed away last year. We were both into veedubs for years. Before he left the thing was down because of what we believed to be dropped valve. I have just got around to tearing down the engine and it is alot worse, a thrown rod. Any way I will need to do a total rebuild to include a new case. I have never wrenched on a thing and I noticed that it has a skid plate on it. Will I be able to bolt this back on a universal case?? I would also like some opinions on importmotors. They have some good prices on longblocks. Has anyone delt with them. Thx, Roman
fourboxers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

nice things rule. sorry about your bro.
Jeremy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

if its the original accessory that bolts to the bottom of the case. the skid plate will fit on a universal case. as for import motors i have never dealt with them but when my engine died on my sqback i ended up having a local shop redo it. the price was almost the same as ordering out of some catalog. and I had a decent warranty with it. It sure beats dealing with someone over the phone if you have a prob with the eng, when you can just drive to the place that fixed it a say ...this is wrong and have your prob fixed the same day. as for prices it cost 1300 installed with a year warranty. on the other hand i built the 1915 in my bug for 1800 and it squeals the tires in second. if you know what your doing build it yourself and save some $$$
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

I recently checked prices at the dealer in Mexico and prices are about the same as in the U.S.
Now, the new blocks most times don't come with the holes for skid plates in the rear of the engine. You will have to drill those in. The good thing is that they are marked.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Engine Rebuild Reply with quote

Buy a rebuilt long block. Thingsunlimited.net can tell you which will allow you to bolt on the skid plate.

Lots of Things no longer have skip plates.

Good luck. Name the car after your brother. All Things have names.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: