Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help !!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grimlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

hey any body out there?! i need some info .....what would be the perfect year (later models)for a growing family? i love the old school bus' and but don't have the cash to get a split window. so the bay window it is for me plus i like the rear tail lights on the later models . any suggestions
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

The later you go the more room you'll get generally speaking. 79s have square exhaust ports or something that can make those parts harder to find. Type 4 pancake engines have a lot more zip than the uprights, but some feel the uprights are easier to fix and parts cost less. Early bays 68-72 usually only have a single canvas cot up in the poptop, while the 73 and later have a bunk that can accomodate two adults. Some westies have a childs hammock that sets up over the front seats, and those can be in any of the bays. 71 was the first year for disk brakes on the front, and the last year for the upright engine, although I have a 74 that has an upright in it, so bear in mind you never know what previous owners might have done too change a bus. If you read the titles of older thrads you can find a lot of similar posts, both here, and in the split bus forum, and maybe a few in general too. Good Luck, Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

Although I'm partial to the 71,I'd go w/ 73+ due to the bunk (sleeps2) in the pop top instead of the cot.DavidK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NeverHadaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

Scroll back a few pages to a thread titled "Westfalia Experience." Last post was on 2/12/03. Lots of good info and opinions on the late bus Westfalia. You can reply to it and bump it up to the front page if you still have questions. Good luck.
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

are you looking for a westy, or a passenger van?
grimlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

hey thanks for all the advise bro's, and to bljones i am lookin for either one right now but i am gettin sick of the whole tent thing when me and the fam go camping, and thanks jeremy your response was very helpful, i am a bug lover and had a few in my time but i am lookin for a bigger volksy so i can take the whole fam on an adventure and hopfully get my kids into the vw scene. and i will be posting in the westfalia forms for more ?'s and stuff
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

I have a six yr old and another who's almost three, and they can both spot the bumper of an aircooled vw sticking out from behind a fence or car from a mile away! lol I've created some monsters! lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimlock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

i have a little monster now who can tell a nb from any angle but i want to get her to know the orig ones and i have 11 month old who has lots of potental lol
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

My fiance just now got the difference between the standards and the stupidbeetles.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: help !! Reply with quote

hey i have a 68 weekender and i love it but my 71 is great it has the first year with the power assisted brakes and the last year of the upright motor which even i have rebuilt with great success also pretty reasonable to order parts for the upright.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: