Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera Camper Project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Riviera Camper Project Reply with quote

Last week I posted my check list for trailering an 76 westy.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=309434&highlight=list

Well it turns out the vehicle I went to pick up wasn't a westy and it isn't a 76. It looks like she's a Riviera... probably 1974, maybe 75. Because it's been stored on a farm since 86 the PO had forgotten some of the details. Anyway, it doesn't matter because I'm excited to have a pretty much rust free camper with a pop-top. (I also have a 76 westy hardtop).

Please check out my pics and comment if you can clue me onto what I might have here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by BellePlaine on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
Kirwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check the third number on your VIN.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say that I like surprises all the time, but this is definitely a nice surprise.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd number on the VIN is a 5. So she's a 75. Thanks Kirwin.

I just tried to turn the engine using a crescent wrench on the alternator... it wouldn't budge. Any suggestions for lubing a seized engine?
notsobigkahuna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with old 'american' cars they fill the cylinders up with stove oil.

kahuna
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is for sure a Riviera, or at least was. It has the Penthouse top and Sliders, but the interior is completely late Westy. I actually like that combo, I loved my Penthouse top but the setup of the later Westies is awesome! Congrats!

Does the top bunk have the extension for the bed? Is the top pad also covered in westy fabric?

EDIT: It is also weird that it has the small sink cabinet along with the large one on the driver side. Were both in there at the same time? It also looks like the rear cabinet by the bed is a riviera cabinet not the westy one that goes with the rest, not too much different though except for the sliding door. You also have the bracket on the dash under the glovebox for the westy table. Very odd...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EDIT: It is also weird that it has the small sink cabinet along with the large one on the driver side. Were both in there at the same time?

The old school sink/fridge combo was not installed but came as a bonus to the bus as it was laying on it's side on top of the Z-bed! It looks to me as if the unit used to sit behind the passenger seat because there is a hole in the floor for the drain. Also (and I didn't take a pic of this) but it has a badge referring to propane but there is not tank or stove. Obviously this is not original.

So is this one a westy or a rivi unit?
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BellePlaine wrote:
So is this one a westy or a rivi unit?

Thats a Westy sink/fridge combo. Not sure on the year but GUESSING on the wood grain and bend of the faucet maybe around '71 like mine. Again a guess. Definetly not original to your bus either way.

Ohh wait...the date is molded into the back of the water tank near the top, check there!!
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks like an early bay sink cabinet for sure. I think the only thing riviera left inside is the rear driver cabinet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I could use a little direction. I need some advice on how to best proceed with my new project. I've determined that the motor is completely seized and needs to be replaced. Not a big deal as I have a donor bus with a good motor and trany ready to go. However, where should I start with the body and interior?

I've taken out the mousy interior. Again I have a donor bus interior to use if I would like or perhaps I can try something custom. I found a lot of great ideas on the "Coolest Interiors" thread.

Since the bus isn't moving anywhere for a while, I think my first priority is to work on the body. The rust damage isn't too bad. I was making a list of the work needed to be done and the order I should be doing it and this is what I've come up with. Thought?

1. Take care of all of the major dents. I found some good information in the paint/body forum for doing some of this myself. Seems like I need a beginner's bodywork kit which I've found for $20 at the local car parts shop. Some of the hail damage I may need a professional for though.

2. Apply rust treatment chemicals to the rusted areas. I'll search but I'll take any recommendations if you have them handy.

3. Remove the engine so I can have the body shop paint the engine bay.

4. Remove headliner. Remove windows.

5. Have someone sandblast body.

6. Have body shop prime and paint.

7. Install headliner. I found this one from BD, is this the right one for me? http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=8343AWH
Install windows using new rubber from WW. Looks like all the rubber parts for the body (as well as a new fuel filler neck will run me about $800.) Install floor, donor engine (replace fuel lines of course), and donor interior. And new proper tires as well.

Here you can see the red paint is pealing. Is that green/yellow paint original? I saw a Thing last week with the same color so I'm thinking that it is.

Should I have them sandblast the interior too? Or maybe a coat of rust converter chemical and POR15?

Thanks for taking a look. I really appreciate and advice or thought you guys may have. I'm beginning to feel a bit over my head and I just need some direction on how to begin. Any ideas on where I can save by doing things myself? It seems like I should be ready to pay for sandblasting, bodywork, painting, headliner, and window rubber all at the same time in order to keep any new rust from forming. I think I can do it, but it's sure going to give my credit card a workout.

Last edited by BellePlaine on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonyem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the aesthetics of the bus when you don't have anything else you can tackle right now is a great way to go. I have done little things here and there while mine has sat in the yard.

Even at a slow pace, you're still getting things done.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have them sandblast the interior, but it just depends on how extreme you want to go. Personally, as long as the metal is good and not rusted and the paint is adhering good, then I would sand it down some, prime it and paint it. The factory paint is bonded well to the metal so if it's lasted this long, it should serve as a good foundation for a new coat.

You may want to spot sandblast where there may be some rust. Just depends on how much there is.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quick update on my project. Check it out; new paint! And the best part is that I did it myself. Cool

I've had help from those on the Body/Paint forum. Here's my thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=313779&highlight=sanding+rust

The body isn't perfect but it's rust free, solid and I'm pretty happy with my efforts.

Cheers,
Chris
dhoch14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sick chris. sick. well done.

-d

An east coast bus on the west coast...
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shakedown!

I just got off of the phone with the BD; I've ordered a new white canvas (it was a return), headliner, and windshield rubber. My plan is to have all of the windows and the top put on before the snow flies, then over the winter I'll tinker with the interior (new front seat cushions, mattress foam and fabrick, and install the sink/homebrew keg-o-rator). I'll swap engines and transmissions with my other bus so we'll hopefully be camping by June. I also have to address fuel line replacement, the brake system, and new tires at some point before I strap the wife and kids into her.

I'm just happy to have the body pretty much addressed.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you do an M code check?

because that is a riviera top but that is westfalia interior.
with a bus that old anything could had happened over the years.

i have a 77 wetsfalia that was ordered as a tin top but has a riviera top installed sometime after it was purchased.

personally, i like the rivi tops and the westy interior. so, you got the best of both worlds in my opinion.

congrats, im gonna go read your painbt thread now
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude seriously how huge are u.. i need a table to paint the roof of a bus. u gota be like 6 foot 12''
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw that is a beautiful buss i have a 79 rivi and my family and i love it . my whole fam (4) and my bro had a sleep over in it last week. u will love all the space in a rivi.
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dude seriously how huge are u.. i need a table to paint the roof of a bus. u gota be like 6 foot 12''

Laughing Thanks man! Being tall has it's advantages!

So yesterday I installed my set of jaloucie windows which replace the set of Rivi sliders. I like the look of the jaloucies better and one of my slider windows is missing a piece of glass. I posted the sliders for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

I started by drilling the mounting holes and then used a q-tip to paint the bare metal preventing any future rust issues. It was a pretty simple job and I'm really happy with them.

BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Friday afternoon and I'm getting excited about this weekend's project of replacing my headliner and installing the windshield. It's kind of a hand-in-hand type project I guess. My new headliner from BD and their German made windshield seal has arrived so I'm all ready to go.

I'm planning on taking my time and working slowly. I've searched and read all that I can on these subjects. I've got a buddy coming over to help. My only issue is that the wife is taking another girls camping trip so I'm also 100% on kid duty. My kids are 2 and 3 1/2. Hopefully the new swing set in the backyard will keep them happy most for the day.

Here's a pick of the old mouse-eaten headliner.

Next project after this one is to finish repairing the pop top and install it along with my new canvas. Yeehaw!

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: