Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Job Problems
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Brake Job Problems Reply with quote

Finally got all new wheel cylinders and linings installed and bled the lines, but have found that I need to vigorously pump the brakes to make the vehicle ('61) stop. On first pump, the pedal goes to the floor and it takes about 6 pumps to get reasonable braking. I did not replace the master, as it was working fine before I started tearing things apart. Doesn't appear to be any leakage in the lines as the level in the master has remained constant. Any ideas where I might have gone wrong here?
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't notice any leaking, then i think you still got air in your lines...

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
aggri1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the pedal firm when it does finally start to brake? If so, it's likely in the adjustment (you need to adjust the brakes). If it never gets firm, then air in the lines is more likely.

Cheers, A.
pblanco10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure sounds like air in the lines. I just recently did my brakes in my 66 SC, I ended up going to auto parts store and buying the 1 man brake bleeder for 7$. Worth every penny. I had so much air in my system (didnt know it) that I could provide life support under water for about 1 hr Very Happy )

Bleeding brakes takes time and patience. I was close to buying disc brakes for my SC until I took my time to bleed the brakes correctly.

I still want discs though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: