Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tranny drama!!!! help please...68-71 switch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: tranny drama!!!! help please...68-71 switch Reply with quote

look here i go i have a broke down 68 weekender that i work on as a project i daily drive my 71 westy which i am working on all the time sort of cool but this time it sucks i was told that i could use the tranny out of the 68 to put in my 71 cause it is popping out of 4th gear so i took everything out did the swap hooked it it with the clutch and plate from the 68 now i am bolting it back together the 2 17mm nuts on bottum then toe lovely 17 from the starter thru the back of case all good then to the top bolt next to the clutch cable the bolt has a 15mm head on it and i stick it in the hole in the tranny and it does not go thru so whin i slide a wire into the hole it is not lined up it is off a slight bit not even an 1/8th if an inch now the real question is....CAN I TWEEK THIS OVER BY LOOSENING THE THREE OTHER TRANNY TO ENGINE BOLTS AND THE 2 BOLTS AT THE FRONT OF THE TRANNY WILL IT WORK OR DO I SCRAMBLE TO REBUILD THE OTHER TRANNY BY MONDAY FOR I JUST GOT CALLED TO GO BACK TO WORK AND I HAVE BEEN OFF CAUSE THE COLD WEATHER well i don't know what to say but sorry for the poor spelling and thanks for the help [email protected] peace and hair grease
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: tranny drama!!!! help please...68-71 switch Reply with quote

If I read your trouble right, you cannot use the 68 pressure plate with the 71 tranny. Incompatible clutch parts...
the " ring' or "collar" on the earlier style pressure plate will hit the "sleeve" that the 71 and later release bearing rides on. this is why the engine will not bo;lt up evenly/easily and even if you forced it to mate up horrible grinding noises will occur and the clutch will not work.
Pull the engine back out and swap the right clutch parts onto the engine or buy new...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: tranny drama!!!! help please...68-71 switch Reply with quote

hey thanks.....i am useing my 68 tranny for my 71 bus and this guy i know gave me the clutch plate and said it would work it has the hole with all of the little seperated deals coming to the hole where the shaft of the tranny goes thru just never had this problem and i have pulled the motor at least 50 times and always lined up pretty good i never have to force it together???? this one went together smooth in less than an hour but now i am stuck....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: tranny drama!!!! help please...68-71 switch Reply with quote

hey let me get this right cause i am tired and i think i know what you mean i am using the 68 tranny, the plate from the guy at the vw shop (who is out of town right now) and the clutch disk from the 71 do i need to replace that with a clutch disk from a 68???
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: tranny drama!!!! help please...68-71 switch Reply with quote

get the pressure plate with all the "fingers", not the one with the collar. In other words, do like keifernet says and get a pressure plate and throwout bearing for a 71'. I think you can still use the old disc if it isn't cashed. Make sure your flywheel isn't glazed. Good Luck.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: tranny drama!!!! help please...68-71 switch Reply with quote

Okay, I may have been confused on which tranny you were swapping into which, I think I interpeted your first post wrong (sorry) but the info is kinda the same, the clutch parts do not mix ( except the disc, they are the same) you need the pressure plate for the year of the trans you are using. 68 uses one style ( through 70) and 71 and later use another...
did you use an alignment tool to line up the disc? and are you using the right pressure plate?
I hope you got it all straightend out by now, just following up. good luck!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: tranny drama!!!! help please...68-71 switch Reply with quote

Dam dred, I apologize- I meant to say get a plate and throwout for the 68 trans. I confounded meself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: